Damsel Diva *Marti*

Gahhh! Cracked paint! What can I do?

I painted my bedroom yesterday, and one wall had been stripped, (was wallpapered) I cleaned the stripped wall my very best, but non the less the paint has massive streaky cracks all over it

My step dad says take it all off, my husband doesnt want to know, and I ust want a house that looks halfway decent for xmas

please someone have a miracle solution! I read on google about watering down unibond and rollering that on, then painting on top, has anyone heard of that before?

Re: Gahhh! Cracked paint! What can I do?

You could try sanding the wall down and then repainting?. I am not the expert in this house though!.

I'd whack up some lining paper and paint that

Quote Originally Posted by *Marti*
    please someone have a miracle solution! I read on google about watering down unibond and rollering that on, then painting on top, has anyone heard of that before?
    Sorry, 2 replies! We've used watered-down PVA on a wall downstairs for something similar and it worked ok for a while but after 6 months or so the problem stuff seemed to seep through to the paint. Maybe we watered ours down too much, I don't know.

Damsel Diva S-J

I'd whack up some lining paper and paint that
    Id do that too. Ive painted over a previous wallpapered wall before and it always looked horrendous.

I hate this painting lark

From someone who's just spent 6 hours painting today... Either give it a coat of watered down PVA (5 parts water to one part unibond PVA) then paint once dry, or lining paper it and paint it. (The lining paper will give a better end result I'm afraid!). Good luck!
    LG is 3 and a half years old
    SRS is two and a bit
    House Blog

Damsel Diva *Marti*

Thanks girls! I did think of lining it, but will it look silly to have one lined wall and the others not? Or do I look into things too much?

also is PVA expensive?

No and no but if you think it does look daft you could just line the other walls later. 'just' get me, making work for a pg lady

DH says this:

If you have only applied one coat then don't worry too much about how it looks now, it is bound to look this way over paste residue. Just sand down using 80 or 100 grit paper (by hand or sander if you have one), then repaint. Fill any small cracks if necessary, let the filler dry, then sand it back flat. If you are using emulsion - use 2 coats of paint. You don't need PVA or anything like that unless the wall is 'powdery' (don't ask me what that means and he's busy now!).

Your other option is lining (but the sanding/filling should do the trick).

Quote Originally Posted by Swingo
    You don't need PVA or anything like that unless the wall is 'powdery' (don't ask me what that means and he's busy now!).
    That's what we had, it looks like there's loads of flour (or powder! ) on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by frog
    That's what we had, it looks like there's loads of flour (or powder! ) on the wall.
    I've seen that (I mean around, not on your walls Frog ) that's that efflouresence (again, don't ask me... )

Damsel Diva *Marti*

Thanks girls! I think im going to be a lazy arse and paper it! Im papering the opposite wall tomoro anyway so while its all out I may aswell line the opposite wall. Finger crossed it doesnt look a mess!

PS. I make work for myself! I wish I'd just left it all now DH doesnt DO DIY so Its all down to me although he is painting that lined wall

Damsel Diva *Marti*

ooo I found some stuff in B&Q you can put on cracked walls ready to make them ready to paint that saves me wallpapering!