Legal Alien Honey Dew

The CTFD parenting method.

Disorganised Damsel RealGoneKid
    love it

Tits McGee WeeBird

Re: The CTFD parenting method.

Ha ha ha ha That is the method of parenting I use already. I HATE competitive parenting and helicopter parenting especially!
    9 7 Jan 08 4 3

Damsel Diva

What's helicopter parenting?
    I think I mostly fall into the CTFD parenting, except with health - bit of a worrier with that!

Damsel Diva

Damsel Diva creamcracker
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBird View Post
    Ha ha ha ha That is the method of parenting I use already. I HATE competitive parenting and helicopter parenting especially!
    all of these

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBird View Post
    helicopter parenting especially!
    never heard of this...?!

Chief Damsel Damsella

Each to their own. I often find that the articles and books telling parents to CTFD, or similar, are just as bossy and prescriptive as the ones they criticise
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

Got husband, need wife! Dr Spouse
    In my mad scientist laboratory, getting children to do difficult things
    Helicopter parenting is hovering around your child constantly. Ringing up the university to ask what your child's results were, and trying to sit in on their tutorials, are particular favourites of ours.

Damsel Diva Velvet Chain

I don't think I have a particular parenting style - just deal with each different situation that arises and do my best not too lose my temper too much, nothing special or anything.

I'm probably over protective but I wouldn't say "the helicopter type" but I do like to know where DS is going and who he is with (he is 10) - and in the world that we live in now I think that is fair enough.

I tend not to get involved with the whole competitive parenting thing (you should have seen some of the parents when they gave out the school reports last week, ripping them open as soon as the kids got out of class and comparing them.

Mummy Bear Shoppie

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Chain View Post
    I tend not to get involved with the whole competitive parenting thing (you should have seen some of the parents when they gave out the school
    reports last week, ripping them open as soon as the kids got out of class and comparing them.
    OMG this I find competitive parenting far more annoynig than any particular parenting style. I have 3 kids who all have very different characters and require very different styles of parenting. I can see how if you only had one or more similar personalities you could see how your way was the 'right' way.
    no matter how far you have travelled down the wrong road, you can always turn around.

Damsel Diva Velvet Chain

I must admit I tend not to notice anyone elses parenting style - it isn't that I am selfish or don't take an interest or anything like that. Just I am usually too busy running around getting everything done that I tend not to notice things like that - it was only last week that I noticed about the school reports because it was a sunny day, I was at the school early and sitting in the sun by a bench enjoying 5 minutes quiet to myself.

Damsel Diva

Actually, I need someone to tell me that because I am a worrier

Damsel Diva creamcracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Franny View Post
    Actually, I need someone to tell me that because I am a worrier
    I think that's why it appealed to me so much too. I'm a terrible worrier, to the point of panic attacks and DH is always telling me to 'calm down'!

Damsel Diva argente

Love that! As a new mum it's essential!

Got husband, need wife! Dr Spouse
    In my mad scientist laboratory, getting children to do difficult things
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoppie View Post
    OMG this I find competitive parenting far more annoynig than any particular parenting style. I have 3 kids who all have very different characters and require very different styles of parenting. I can see how if you only had one or more similar personalities you could see how your way was the 'right' way.
    Oh yes - there's a competitive attachment parent I know, which I always thought was all about chilling and being natural, plus the ones who are competitively stimulating their child, and I think I know a couple who are competitively into routine and, now they are older toddlers, discipline.