Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Damsel Diva

Goodbye job hello childminding!

Goodbye (crap) job hello childminding

After being made redundant 3 weeks before Christmas then being reemployed a week later on less pay I've spent the past 4 months working for a complete tool barely covering my travel expenses working 13 hour days, I've finally had enough & made the decision today to become a childminder .
    I've sounded out a couple of CM's in my village and there seems to be fairly consistent demand and the rates are reasonable (typically£6ph) plus I have Ds1 at the local primary school & Ds2 at the neighbouring nursery so can easily do wraparound as well as pre-schoolers which should open up my options. Minor detail of decorating to get finished and I'm sure a mountain of paperwork to complete, but I'm really bloody excited as I've been working in London for 10+years and am *so* ready to see the back of it :Ellie:
    Any initial thoughts/guidance much appreciated (& is there a childminders thread in here as I couldn't find one )
    MrsCx
    ps can anyone who has been through the process advise how long registration takes as can't afford to hand in my notice too soon!

Well done you

You sound very pleased with your decision

Hope it goes well-I think wrap around will def open doors as I know 2 people struggling to find this right now

One thing I'm seriously considering in next year or so too :-)

baby max born 14.4.2010,mmc 6.12.2007,mmc 11.06.2008, mc 25.11.2008

Insane Damsel. Dig Deep Legolas

Re: Goodbye job hello childminding!

You sound so positive!! Really hope it works out fantastically well for you

That's lovely news!! Good luck with getting it all off the ground. Will you do holiday care for older children too? (She says, knowing that she will be going back to work part time when B starts school in september )
    L is 6
    B is 4

Brilliant, how exciting to change direction of things in your career I don't know anything about it, but good on you!
    [/url]

Damsel Diva

Great news, it must be nice to reach your own decision after being in limbo/made redundant/re-employed by a tool. Good luck with it all.

Damsel Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilybett View Post
    Will you do holiday care for older children too? (She says, knowing that she will be going back to work part time when B starts school in september )
    yes . My ideal scenario is full day with a pre-schooler 3/4 days a week with a school age child the same plus 1 maybe 2 extra in the holidays. No idea if the reality will match up mind you .

My head is buzzing there's so much to get done such as finishing decorating, and making the (stepped) garden safe on top of the paperwork, first aid courses etc.
    Thanks for the kind words

Invisable Chell

Have you heard that there is talk of deregistering childmnders? Apparently the registration and inspection process is too expense. Ofsted want to make changes to save money. This would mean that parents couldn't pay us with childcare vouchers or tax credits.

Previous to the deregistration there was talk that we would need a level three childcare qualification by 2013. This date hasn't be set officially yet. I have a level three qualification so I can't get funding to do the course. If I pay it will cost over £600.

Sorry to sound like a miserable cow but I wouldn't go into childminding now. Locally lots have vacancies. There are lots of new childminders as so many think is is the answer to their ow childcare problems. I really would think before giving up a reliable job in favour of being a self employed minder. My earnings willbe cut by 50% next month as two children are leaving.
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Damsel Diva
    Chell my job is far from secure and don't think it will the next 6 months let alone the year which is what prompted me to look for alternatives. It's good the hear the other side so appreciate your honesty but I'm going to make a go if it and worse case I go back to paid employment again :shrug;:

Abnormal Damsel Mrs B
    Good luck honey!

Best of luck with it, Mrs C!

Damsel Diva Mellt13

Fantastic decision. Good Luck
    MT

Tea Lady Damsel Booh

Good luck

I'm a childminder, and have been for a long old time now!

Chell was all a bit doom and gloom, tbh I doubt they will de register childminders for a very long time if at all....but thats a boring and long old argument and now isnt the time and place.

I made a VERY good living out of it, yes it is hard work, and yes there is a lot of paper work and jumping though hops. But it sounds as if you have done your homework and you know there is a need. Have you looked on childcare.co.ukk for parents needing childminders?Around here it takes about 6 month ish to get all the paper.

Today I had a a lady who was 5 1/2 months pregnant come to see me, she is going back to work in July 2013 and came today to 'book in her unborn bubba

Good luck and PM me with lots of questions xx

Damsel Diva Katiekipper
    I don't know where Chell lives but here you struggle to find a CM. I only wanted 1 day a week and it still took a year which we split between a temporary carer and dh staying at home one day a week and making up the hours on a Sunday eve.
    In the end our CM hired someone as an assistant so she could take Isis for us. There is a huge shortage of cm's here.
    Now we've got a place with our minder we will cling to it to the death/starting school!!!
    Mum to Ross 16, Eden 13 and Beanie (real name Finn) 11 and my 3 angel babies, never forgotten xx

Check out my knit shop!
    http://www.facebook.com/LittleEdenKnits

Dazzling Damsel

Good luck
    CaroCaro
    x

Invisable Chell

Quote Originally Posted by Katiekipper View Post
    I don't know where Chell lives but here you struggle to find a CM. I only wanted 1 day a week and it still took a year which we split between a temporary carer and dh staying at home one day a week and making up the hours on a Sunday eve.
    In the end our CM hired someone as an assistant so she could take Isis for us. There is a huge shortage of cm's here.
    Now we've got a place with our minder we will cling to it to the death/starting school!!!
    Definitely not the case here, my friend is having to let her assistant go in September as she can't fill her vacancies. Another friend has taken a night job at Sainsburys as she couldn't fill her spaces.

Booh, NCMA certainly seem to be taking the threat of deregistration seriously. Round here we all tend to be paid by tax credits, childcare vouchers or colleges. In fact, every child I have ever looked after has been paid by one of these three methods.

♥ Unfazed ♥ Sadie

Best of luck.

Tea Lady Damsel Booh

Quote Originally Posted by Chell View Post
    Definitely not the case here, my friend is having to let her assistant go in September as she can't fill her vacancies. Another friend has taken a night job at Sainsburys as she couldn't fill her spaces.

Booh, NCMA certainly seem to be taking the threat of deregistration seriously. Round here we all tend to be paid by tax credits, childcare vouchers or colleges. In fact, every child I have ever looked after has been paid by one of these three methods.

Well that is why I pay my NCMA subscription so they can fight my battles for me!

Where I am childminders are like rocking horse poo, but if you drive 10miles to the nearest town there are far too many of them....lots of councils recruited far too many childminders and now its the childminders who are paying the cost. Saying that, we had a new childminder set up where I am, but she only lasted a year. I'm so busy its untrue, I've had three phone calls today, all for wrap around care for school for september, and I've had to turn them all down as I'm as full as I need to be.

Tea Lady Damsel Booh

No tax credit children here, childcare vouchers yes, but one parent they are phasing them out from the company she works for and more companies I suspect are following.

Damsel Diva Elvisola
    I am in Herts and for the last 5 years have been as full as I want to be. I have a waiting list and if I need to fill a specific space I start stalking childcare.co.uk and pay a tenner to send a few messages.

Mostly though it's word of mouth to be honest. Get it out on the school run and to everybody you speak to that your a childminder.

In the early days I also fliered most of my adjacent streets and got tons of responses.

Good luck x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast