Legal Alien Honey Dew

iPhone in dishwasher...

I am going to sound like a complete tool here, but here goes!

I just opened the dishwasher mid cycle to drop in a spoon that had missed out and my phone slipped in. It kind of skidded across the door and plopped into the water.

It was only in for a matter of seconds. Straight away, I took the case off it to help it dry and tried calling my husband (my techie, who, handily is interstate ATM)
    He could hear me, but I couldn't hear him. I could hear him when I plugged in the headphones.

The lock screen sound doesn't work either, which is no hardship, but I guess it's connected to the same bit?

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this? Kind of total immersion for a teeny time?

Do you reckon it's likely to dry out and start working again or is it buggered?
    It's not insured

Pleeeease tell me it's going to be ok!!!

Chief Damsel Damsella

Re: iPhone in dishwasher...

From what I recall, a) you should stop messing with it immediately, and b) put it in dry rice to help dry it out.
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

Damsel Diva

Oh no! When my Apple MacBook Pro laptop got wet we put it on top of alot of dried rice and it worked- dries it out. Maybe try that?- Put it in a bag of dried rice?

Legal Alien Honey Dew
    Thanks girls! I'll do that right now.
    Should I turn it off?

ETA ooh, and how long should I leave it in the rice? Overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by Damsella View Post
    From what I recall, a) you should stop messing with it immediately, and b) put it in dry rice to help dry it out.
    Yes, this and put it in the airing cupboard if you have one.
    thomas left my phone in the garden when it was literally pouring with rain and it took a day to come back to life after doing what Damz has suggested. It was never 100% again but did what I needed it to do. Also when it was working again I did an update where you plug it in and it sorted out the issues I was having with the fact it was always making a sound when someone called.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Dew View Post
    Thanks girls! I'll do that right now.
    Should I turn it off?
    I didn't as I was too obsessed with keeping on checking on it

Leave it in the rice for as long as you can bare and turn it off if you can. They recommend that you leave it in rice in the airing cupboard for about 48 hours (although I cracked after 24). Really hope its ok.
    L is 6
    B is 4

Having had two phones do a complete cycle in the washing machine (yes I know I now have very cheap phones + an ipod touch for this reason) I know the rice works, however last time the screen went a couple of months later and the chap in the phone shop said that often happens a while later. Hope it dries out well.

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger.
    Epictetus

Damsel Diva Elvisola
    Yes try rice, take battery out asap though. My iPhone has got a bit damp a couple of times and the sound always goes. It all seems to work again after a day or 2, presumably when it dries out, with no ill effects.

Turn it off- if you leave it on when wet it might short circuit.

Leave it it to dry as long as possible- have you any of those silica gel sachets from handbags etc? They'll work best, rice/airing cupboard will do too.

Damsel Diva BonnieTyler

I dropped my blackberry torch (touchscreen) in the dishwater, I left it in the dry rice for about a week before it worked properly again.

Just me being me!

As far as I'm aware you have to keep these things off & battery out until they are thoroughly dry (a couple of days in an airing cuboard). Don't be tempted to try it before then. When I dropped wine over my laptop OH said it's turning them on when wet that fries them.

Invisable Chell

You can't remove an iphone battery ladies.

The rice worked when I dropped a phone in the loo. When I dropped one in the paddling pool and washed one in the washing machine it didn't work for either.
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Legal Alien Honey Dew
    Yaaaaay!! Thanks to you wonderful ladies, I'm back and my phone is working again!

I switched it off and left it in the rice for about 15 hours.
    Switched it on again this morning and it seems all good! Hopefully, it will stay working and I will take better care of it!

Thanks again

Phew that was lucky honeydew
    In future I think you'll find this case is perfect for you
    http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...ulnl&pid=64176

Legal Alien Honey Dew
    you're not far wrong, Peri!

Reuben sat his toy phone in the rice today and then made Jemimah howl by taking hers off her because "it needs to go in the rice!"

Brilliant!