Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Children walking dog

How old would your child have to be before you let them walk a dog alone.
    DD1 22/04/05 ** DD2 10/12/07 ** DS 11/11/09

FAT donna-j

Re: Children walking dog

It would depend on the dog as well as the child.

Chief Damsel Damsella

Mid teens, depending on where the dog walking was taking place.
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

FAT donna-j

I definitely walked my dog when I was at primary school. I think it also depends where you live. I was in a village and there was a good safe place to walk dogs one street away. Plus it was the 70s/80s and I had so much freedom to roam about.

Damsel Diva Dunkling

For me it is not just about age, but because we have always had a golden retriever, none of them have been allowed to walk the dog until their weight equalled or passed the dogs! The older 2 started walking at about 12, when I thought them responsible enough and knowledgable enough about her known commands. The youngest at nearly 12 still isn't allowed. But the size of child is also important I think as I wouldn't put them in a position where they could be physically outwitted by the dog.

Thanks for your replies

Damsel Diva VivB

I can only just manage our dog so it wil be a long time before the younger children can take him out!! DS1 is 18 and he has been walking him for a few years as he was physically able to ,ds2 keeps asking to but its a no no for sure !!

Damsel Diva

They're allowed to walk the dog (chihuahua) to the field at the bottom of the road and back (it's about 200 yards away, they don't go in the field). And they're 7 & 4. I wouldn't let them go any further yet. Not sure when though.

Damsel Diva Velvet Chain

I don;t have a doggie at the moment but if I did (hopefully soon) I wouldn't let DS (nearly 9) walk the dog at his age alone even if he could handle his dog - mainly because I am more concerned about other dogs and if there is a problem with another dog, he is not mature enough to know how to handle the situation safely.

Ginger rules

My 8 year old walks ours but only round the (smallish) block. My 12 year old takes her to the park - usually with her friends too.

It does depend though - we live in a very small quiet town , the dog is well behaved and the kids know how to handle her. I can think of plenty of dogs I wouldn't let them walk yet.....

Bop

My DD, 9, is allowed to take our puppy Millie to the end of the cul de sac. No-one lets their dog off the lead on the street. Thats one of my main worries that a bigger dog comes along.

is free!! Cymber

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkling View Post
    But the size of child is also important I think as I wouldn't put them in a position where they could be physically outwitted by the dog.
    Yep I agree. S, age 9, doesn't take out Lab out for a proper walk on a lead as if she pulled suddenly he'd be over. He does take her out close by off the lead with a ball to keep her close! And does poo picking up when she does one.

My older boys, now age 13 and 15 have been walking the dog for a good couple of years, so S probably isn't far off.
    The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.

Apologies for bringing the tone down somewhat, but I think whilst age and size comes into it, you would need to ensure that the child be willing and/or able to pick up said dog's dirt and dispose of it properly. :yeuch:

Damsel Diva Dunkling

I think the reason that apart from Cymber this hasn't been mentioned, is because not all, in fact most, dog owners live up to the brush we are tarred with, and poop scooping is a given, child or adult.

I think the reason that apart from Cymber this hasn't been mentioned, is because not all, in fact most, dog owners live up to the brush we are tarred with, and poop scooping is a given, child or adult.
    Absolutely!

I'd let (or beg ) my ds1 to take our pup out and he's nearly 14. She's very strong though, no way would I let a younger/smaller child do it

I didnt mention it in my post because we werent talking about picking up poo. DD picks up the poop as does anyone else who walks Millie. I think its unfair to assume that because they havent mentioned it people don't clear up after their dogs.

I was 16 and walking my dog when another dog (plus owner) came along. The other dog slipped his collar and went for mine (on the lead). He was bitten and bleeding and as the other dog was out of control and 'going to have mine for breakfast' I picked him up and was bitten in the stomach (by the other dog) -badly. For that reason, even though mine are docile and respond to all requests not until they are much,much older -14 plus.

Believes in miracles. Giggi

Quote Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
    I was 16 and walking my dog when another dog (plus owner) came along. The other dog slipped his collar and went for mine (on the lead). He was bitten and bleeding and as the other dog was out of control and 'going to have mine for breakfast' I picked him up and was bitten in the stomach (by the other dog) -badly. For that reason, even though mine are docile and respond to all requests not until they are much,much older -14 plus.
    Oh no, that's awful Gojira. I don't let my boys take our dog out for the same reason. It is quiet around here, but you always seem to get one moron who thinks keeping their dog on a lead in a public place is optional.

Damsel Diva Dunkling

Quote Originally Posted by JoGee View Post
    I didnt mention it in my post because we werent talking about picking up poo. DD picks up the poop as does anyone else who walks Millie. I think its unfair to assume that because they havent mentioned it people don't clear up after their dogs.
    Jo Gee... you misunderstand me. I was replying to Carrington but was too lazy to quote. Read thread before you jump on me! ()

I don't believe I was pointing the finger only mentioning that it's not impossible to believe that a young child wouldn't want to pick up dog crap which is pretty foul at the best of times.

It should definitely be a "given", but where I live it's certainly not that way at all, despite numerous appropriate bins.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast