Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
    Damsel Diva

Cost of living moan & WWYD if your outgoings exceeded your income?

Is it just me or is the basic cost of living (utilities, fuel, food costs etc) absolutely astronomical nowadays and totally disproportionate to most people's income? We had a recent salary drop so have had to tighten our belts by:

stopping boys swimming lessons
    no more meals out
    no new clothes
    no hair or beauty products/treatments
    frugal food shopping /no alcohol bar odd bottle of plonk at the weekend.
    changed utility suppliers (twice!)
    downgraded mobile packages
    cancelled sky
    stopped paying into my pension
    cancelled private healthcare

The changes we've made *should* outweigh the drop in salary but everything else is increasingly expensive & we seem to be worse not better off!? Any I missing something? Honestly, what do/can you do if your outgoings exceed your income month on month with no sign of improvement? We have been considering selling our house & moving up north near DH's parents to reduce our mortgage, but actually our mortgage is relatively small & it's all the other bills that are crippling us & they're likely to be much the same. Any ideas?
    MrsCx

Back to nappies! lazymummy

Re: Cost of living moan & WWYD if your outgoings exceeded your income?

No answer, but we're finding the same. Once all the bills are paid, food and petrol are bought we have nothing left.

Santorini bride <3 Dancing Queen
    Ditto here, or not far off

I'm going to try & reign in our shopping bills again, they're not particularly out of hand, I don't think, but I'm sure I could plan in some cheaper meals....

Damsel Diva

I can't believe how much the cost of living has risen in the past 2yrs. We spent 13m out of the country and the cost of our food shop before we went versus after is about 30% more and we haven't changed our shopping habits.
    Then diesel has gone up loads too.
    We question every purchase we make, don't buy because it's cheap only because we need it.

Damsel Diva
    It definitely is the past couple of years as I dug out my budget plan from when I was on maternity leave and it hadn't changed much from ds1 (now 6) to when we had ds2(nearly 3) but it looks totally laughable now!!

ringmaster coolfm

Quote Originally Posted by lazymummy View Post
    No answer, but we're finding the same. Once all the bills are paid, food and petrol are bought we have nothing left.
    This, exactly. The cost of living has increased so much, while incomes have frozen or decreased. We've been discussing this today and will have to try to find somewhere to cut back. I've done things like change utilities; cut down on food bills; changed car to more economical, lower tax model; buying hardly any clothes or anything unnecessary; not going out; avoiding long journeys which would cost a lot in fuel. However, this is not enough.

Damsel Diva clowe74

When I do the weekly shop I would go to asda first then go get the offers from aldi. Every week I would look and think I have just bought that in asda for a lot more s this week I went to aldi first then asda for the bits I couldnt get and managed to knock £40 off the bill, will definetly be doing this again
    DS1 16, DS2 14, DD 11

I notice this too, my dh earns good money just we just don't have any money for extras anymore.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
    [/url]

Damsel Diva kelly

We have nothing left at the end of each month but are managing to scrape through by virtue of the fact that my Uni bursary goes in midmonth and tides us over until pay day again.

I just hate the months when we have birthdays and things to fork out for so have been trying to pick up bargains when I can for the pressie stash. We definitely think about where we're going in the car since we live rurally and will only go out if we can combine several errands into one day.

We just keep focussing that one day i'll be qualified and at the very least picking up bank nursing shifts so we'll have more money coming in.

Damsel Diva Oana

We're in a very similar situation and it's feels so soul destroying DH earns good money but we are in an expensive part of the country and it goes nowhere. I've gone back to work last week from 10 months maternity leave and have lost hours and that coupled with nursery fees I just feel so despondent.
    Anyway we've pared things back whilst I've been on SMP and I think my best saving has come from shopping at Aldi unfortunately all other things are already on your list.

Got husband, need wife! Dr Spouse
    In my mad scientist laboratory, getting children to do difficult things
    Can you get rid of/use a car less? Of course fuel has gone up but everyone forgets how much wear and tear costs. May be worth getting a bus pass?
    Anything to be saved on holidays? If you have put down a deposit but it would be cheaper not to go (a common money mistake is throwing good money after bad).
    We gave up eating out after Mr S was made redundant but I reckon we spend almost as much on takeaways
    Do your kids do other clubs, and can any of them cut you a deal?
    Can you sell on e.g. outgrown uniform, any old handsets? Anything in the loft you could sell?
    Any benefits you might be eligible for?
    Any way to get a better mortgage deal (this has been our saviour).

Super fit Damsel Velvet Chain

Ditto what everyone has said, after all the bills have been paid there is pretty much nothing left at the end of the month.

Same here. When Jack was a baby (six years ago) our spending habits were quite bad (e.g. buying clothes and toys new) yet now with Olive as a baby, everything is second hand and we barely go out, yet we are no better off

When it finally (if ever) gets better, we'll all be more savvy spenders I actually saved up some tokens from Esso to get a free cinema ticket, and DH and I are going to use it for a cheap night at the flicks next weekend - we're so excited - how sad is that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clowe74 View Post
    When I do the weekly shop I would go to asda first then go get the offers from aldi. Every week I would look and think I have just bought that in asda for a lot more s this week I went to aldi first then asda for the bits I couldnt get and managed to knock £40 off the bill, will definetly be doing this again
    I do this too Clowe. Takes more time but definitely worth it

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

Honestly I think you're doing what you can. You might try the MSE forums for tips on food shopping but, to be honest, I found it quite dispiriting. Everyone seems to enjoy scrimping and making a chicken last six weeks and it just made me want to cry. I don't think the savings you can make are HUGE in the long-term but it is helpful if you find yourself with only£20 to spend on food one week.

Partner and I have been brassic for about 3 years. I made huge cutbacks at Christmas and Birthdays. I do surveys online and collect Nectar points for Amazon vouchers and they paid for Son No.1's DS. We thought we might get rid of one car but it would mean severely limiting the work we could do. (First World Problems ).

Damsel Diva TopStar
    We are now selling a lot of stuff we don't use / need to make money for anything we spend. DH used music magpie to sell some of his CD / DVD collections. CD/DVDs are usually pain to sell on eBay for the little money you make but music magpie take the bulk of it & offers reasonably good price.

June 2011 Mummies

Oana 12 June 2011
    Potage 15 June 2011
    Sarah Louise *Awaiting date*

Biker chick Damsel! stacey86

We are in a very similar situation. It is very deperssing, it almost feels like it is a never ending battle

The way we have managed is for DH to get a second job, bless him. I am on Mat leave and due back at the end of May so no doubt with DH working 2 jobs and me working 12 hours Sat and Sunday, we will be like ships passing in the night.

We have also changed gas/electricity suppliers. Cut back on food shopping and we have found it easier/cheaper to not do a big food shop we buy just en

My butterfly born 03/11/06.

My 2nd butterfly born 24/10/11

Biker chick Damsel! stacey86

We are in a very similar situation. It is very deperssing, it almost feels like it is a never ending battle

The way we have managed is for DH to get a second job, bless him. I am on Mat leave and due back at the end of May so no doubt with DH working 2 jobs and me working 12 hours Sat and Sunday, we will be like ships passing in the night.

We have also changed gas/electricity suppliers. Cut back on food shopping and we have found it easier/cheaper to not do a big food shop we buy just enough for a few das and then go shopping again when we need to! It stops us buying unneccessary food and bits and cuts down on wastage too.
    Last edited by stacey86; 29-04-2012 at 07:11am.

I have an all in one interest only mortgage. ATM, we have made the decision to pay interest only. Its the only way we can survive.

Whats crippling us at the minute is csa. I know I shouldn't bitch, but it really does hurt our finances to pay over £400 a month to a family with nearly double our income, and none of the childcare or housing costs. And that tax credits don't consider csa, so even though our actual take home is 3/4 less, we don't qualify for any help under the new rules.

Counting my blessings
    I agree with you that the cost of living is astronomical. It depresses me on a daily basis.

Shopping around can save a lot if you have the time. Also Ebaying anything you can (have you got any of the boys' baby stuff still? That usually sells well). If you do have to buy anything then try and use Quidco or join voucher sites - good for getting the odd family day out mega cheap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast