Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dynamic Damsel

Question for older ladies...late-flowering?

Is it just me, or is post-menopause a wonderful time of life? I feel human again, I'm not ruled by out-of-control hormones, broodiness or libido and I have my brain back. This is the me I was before everything went to pot at about sixteen! Obviously I'm a little bit creaky and wrinkly now, but I'm fit and healthy and happy with my marriage.

I don't think I'm 'hyper' as I actually have quite a lot of family & work worries to deal with at the moment. However, all the accepted wisdom seems to be that the menopause is the moment everything starts to slide into oblivion, and women become invisible and marginalised.

I am 53, so beyond hot flushes - I agree they are debilitating. How are other people's experiences of middle-middle age?

I am 48 now and I'm getting there! I don't worry about stuff now, the old body it not what it was but hey, who cares? I've not had the hot flushes yet, can I just skip that period?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    DS1 20 DD 18::DS2 7

Chief Damsel Damsella

Re: Question for older ladies...late-flowering?

I haven't got there yet, not long now though I shouldn't think.But I wondered what you meant by "I have my brain back"? I feel fully in command of mine - for what's it's worth - does that change, or something?
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

Legal Alien Honey Dew
    Sounds good!
    Will be great to not have to worry about being up the duff every month!

My body's already a tad creaky at 34, but I think that's because I've knocked it around pretty badly in my younger days!

Dam-old-sel dingbatsbird

I'm just behind you at 52, Mrs G I had my giblets removed at 40 (Mr D's lovely phrase!) so I'm not sure if I'm through the menopause or not but I think as much as anything, your fifties are a time when you do get to be yourself again

If you have had children (I didn't), they are probably almost grown up, you've worked out who your real friends are, your partner knows you inside out and you have the courage to weed out anyone who makes your life stressful.

Truly a time to celebrate the state of WYSIWYG

They f**k you up, your mum and dad. They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had, and add some extra, just for you.

Damsel Diva

If it is true, I hope so because being 40-something sucks. My Mum had a bad time in her fifties, though. She struggled with getting older and losing her looks. She seems happier now approaching 70 even though she has other problems to contend with.

Damsel Diva joanne62

I'm 50 at the end of the year and I think each stage of your life has pluses and minuses, I think the trick is to concentrate on the good bits not the bad

Damsel Diva silvershoes

Quote Originally Posted by joanne62 View Post
    I'm 50 at the end of the year and I think each stage of your life has pluses and minuses, I think the trick is to concentrate on the good bits not the bad
    I'm 50 next month, and I agree about concentrating on the good. I had no problem doing that approaching 40 - but I am finding it harder 10 years on.

I'm trying my best to look forward - but I keep looking back. I've got a lovely diamond ring and a holiday to look forward to, so I'm sure I'll be okay when the time comes

Damsel Diva joanne62

I hope you have a lovely birthday silvershoes.

Damsel Diva silvershoes

Thank you joanne, I'm sure I will - I just haven't got the same enthusiasm I had when I was 40. I think part of it is because there are so many celebrities my age and older who have had so much surgery/botox etc. that I just feel (and look) so much older.

But anyway, I'm sure when my birthday comes I'll have a great time, hope your birthday is fantastic too!!

I am currently in the thick of it mrsgrumpy (at only 43!), and I quite frankly can't wait for it to be over and done with. Going through the menopause is just plain awful. When, as a young girl, I first heard about it I thought 'whoop-di-doo no more periods, bring it on'. Now I'm reading the small print and it is no joke. I mean, give us gals a break: hot flushes, anxiety, irritability, mood swings, weight gain to name but a few of the delights that await. Oh, and I had also thought that by the time it was my turn to get irritable and fat there might be some sort of pill available to stop it from happening.

If only!

Quote Originally Posted by Damsella View Post
    I haven't got there yet, not long now though I shouldn't think.But I wondered what you meant by "I have my brain back"? I feel fully in command of mine - for what's it's worth - does that change, or something?
    You have no idea, Damz. A sort of mental fog descends, and you find yourself wading through treacle.

Dynamic Damsel

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingRose View Post
    You have no idea, Damz. A sort of mental fog descends, and you find yourself wading through treacle.
    So true. But for many years I spent more mental effort than I could spare thinking about ! Things are more settled now (I'm not implying celibacy here, just monogamy and habit)

Dynamic Damsel

Rambling Rose, I read somewhere that an (individual) hot flush lasts for a maximum of 6 minutes. As far as I could tell that's true, and it helped me to know. I put on a bit of weight, but frantic exercise got it off and it stayed off.

Also my boobs got bigger - although I'm only A/B now, every little helps! Apparently that's common.

Doesn't give a *!* Damsel DillyDally

See, I'm 48 in two weeks' time, and I don't have this. Good job, as I am graduating this summer! I've not noticed hot flushes (although several friends have told me sage tea/tablets are the dogs doodahs for helping with this). I've had minor changes in my cycle, but, really, when does it all start? As I feel as fine and dandy as I did in my thirties. Better actually, as I don't have young children to look after
    Dilly xx

Clean Sweep - my decluttering and home organisation blog.
    Don't save things for best - make every day your best day.

I agree with the mental fog, I am experiencing that ATm and my cycles are much longer now, every 70-78 days. I went thru a phase of hot flushes but not had any for a few months, thank goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgrumpy View Post
    Rambling Rose, I read somewhere that an (individual) hot flush lasts for a maximum of 6 minutes. As far as I could tell that's true, and it helped me to know. I put on a bit of weight, but frantic exercise got it off and it stayed off.

Also my boobs got bigger - although I'm only A/B now, every little helps! Apparently that's common.
    I've also had the boobs thing. Mine have naturally gone from a C to E cup in the time it takes Katie Price to have an operation.

Also, why can't you ever have a hot flush when it would be welcome? Like when you are freezing at the football?!

Quote Originally Posted by DillyDally View Post
    See, I'm 48 in two weeks' time, and I don't have this. Good job, as I am graduating this summer! I've not noticed hot flushes (although several friends have told me sage tea/tablets are the dogs doodahs for helping with this). I've had minor changes in my cycle, but, really, when does it all start? As I feel as fine and dandy as I did in my thirties. Better actually, as I don't have young children to look after
    It happens at a different age for every woman. I thought mine was a tad premature, but anything over the age 40 is considered normal. My own mum did not start until she was 58.

What I can tell you is that you will DEFINITELY know when it starts. Trust me.

Damsel Diva joanne62

What I can tell you is that you will DEFINITELY know when it starts. Trust me.
    My friend was lucky enough to sail through it with absolutely no symptoms except loss of periods I haven't started with it yet except for a couple of late cycles but I just know I won't be this lucky

Bargain Hunter Queen janiebaby

I think mine has come and gone without as much as a hello !! im 50 in november and have just got 2 day periods that happen every 3 months or so and they are so light , i only need a panty liner , no hot flushes either !! i must be incredibly lucky !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast