Best detangler for fine hair???

L has long but very fine hair which she loves but I am increasingly having problems with brushing it as it knots so easily - every day I am spending ages detangling it whilst she spends a lot of time crying with me threatening to have it all chopped off if she doesn't stop screaming at me Its got to the stage where I dread doing her hair!

I've managed to persuade her to have a couple of inches taken off to try and help but I was wondering if anyone had any amazing recommendations for hair detangler? I'm looking at adult ones now as I've tried pretty much every type of children's one and none of them really help. I've also tried a tangle teezer which did very little apart from make her scream

Can anyone help before I resort to cutting her hair off while she is asleep?!
    L is 6
    B is 4

Damsel Diva Peony

Re: Best detangler for fine hair???

It may be better to swap shampoo. From experience I couldn't get my fine hair past my chin without having to go through a de-knot ordeal every morning until I switched to Aveda shampoo. It won't get rid of all the tangles but I can just spritz Ava's hair with water and brush it through to get rid of the tangles. I was using Asda's nit repellant but they seem to have stopped selling it so I have just topped up the bottle with water and a couple of drops of tea tree oil.

Damsel Diva helpimfalling
    I always wash mine with shampoo and then smother in conditioner and brush whilst in bath for some odd reason it seems to work better when brushed through whilst conditioners on and then rinse It gets rid of all tangles x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a conditioner every time I wash mine, and comb thru before rinsing. If its tangled I use a wet comb on it and tease it out. I remember dd being like your dd, I had hers chopped off until she would have it combed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    DS1 21 DD 18:DS2 8

Chief Damsel Damsella

For those days when tangles are bad, I recommend Aussie Leave In Conditioner. It's a spray that isn't heavy and helps to prevent ongoing tangles as well.
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

Abnormal Damsel Mrs B

Would a leave-in conditioner work? I also use a detangle spray on C's ringlets after her bath, that helps to comb it out a little. Oh, and a very wide-toothed comb, got a special shower one from the supermarket for about 99p.

wannabe noo noo

As far as hairbrushes go I find the "Tangle Tamer" better than the "Tangle Teaser"

My friend swears by the Aussie leave-in Spray as well for her LO
    08-02-04 spa 28-04-06

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
    Would a leave-in conditioner work?
    That's what I use on dd's curls and it does help

Thanks for all your replies!

We wash her hair once or twice a week and I smother her hair with conditioner and comb through before washing out, I have a big wide toothed comb which is ok but still struggles to get through. I also regularly spritz with leave in conditioner (just boots own, nothing fancy) plus detangler but we are still having problems!

Noo Noo, thanks for the tangle tamer suggestion, I think I might give that a try along with the Aussie leave in conditioner and see if they help

Mulled Wino Katoid

Tangle teaser really helps! And spray on leave in conditioner x
    DD is 8
    DS is 3

Blog

Casual Damsel Daisy66

I use this on dd's hair (usually get it in Sainsburys) and it really works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supersoft-De...5352864&sr=8-4

I had the same problem before, also threatening on a daily basis to cut it all off, but since discovering this stuff, we use it every morning and we remain calm
    Mum to dd (age 10) and ds (age 8)

Tried that one Daisy, great for B's hair but not for L's unfortunately

Casual Damsel Daisy66

Quote Originally Posted by Lilybett View Post
    Tried that one Daisy, great for B's hair but not for L's unfortunately
    Ah, that's a shame. No other advice I'm afraid. I hope you can find something!

.......... Damsel Adelelee

Quote Originally Posted by noo noo View Post
    As far as hairbrushes go I find the "Tangle Tamer" better than the "Tangle Teaser"
    Oooh I may try that, I find the tangle teaser rubbish on my girls hair!
    Just give me a block, I'm gonna be fine..........

Mum to 3 wonderful kids Cat Queen

DD has hair nearly down to her bum now! i wash and condition it, then put paul mitchell leave in conditioner in, every morning I spray it with the avon detangling spray and that is IMHO the best detangler I have used on DD.

Quote Originally Posted by noo noo View Post
    I just wanted to drag this thread up and say THANK YOU! from the bottom of my heart for this suggestion Noo Noo

The tangle tamer has honestly changed my life. With a combination of detangler AND leave in condition plus the tangle tamer I can finally brush L's hair without any screaming or crying from either of us So much better than the tangle teaser without a doubt. Would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who has trouble brushing their childs hair

Dazzling Damsel keikobelle

Ooh fab, im waiting on a tangle tamer i ordered from Amazon the other day.

Soph's hair is a nightmare to brush It literally matts together in clumps over night so mornings are not a happy time! I've used de-tangling shampoo, conditioner, leave in spray, wide tooth comb etc so im hoping this brush helps otherwise she's getting a crop