Wishing for more me time! Amelya

Party dilemma: which date?

I'm 40 just before Christmas - a long way off i know but given the busyness of that time of year I'm starting to think about the celebrations early. I'd really like a party - family and friends, disco kinds of thing. (Just been to one for another of my friends and it was fab).

But when should I do it? In terms of my family the best date would probably be Saturday 22nd December - they normally come up to us for Christmas anyway so this would work (or possibly Friday 21st).

But I'm worried that this will be the day that lots of people will head off to their Christmas destinations and won't want to come. Plus I have other friends in neighbouring cities who I worry would be unlikely to want to come over so close to christmas. Would you go to a party on that date?

So if not then I have 2 options: 1 early or 2 late (i.e. early in the new year). Neither of these will be good for my family but might be better for friends - although people might feel partied out by early Jan? And it won't really feel like my birthday by then.

I hate having a Christmas birthday sometimes

Snorks 6, Mr Baby 3! parkejm

Re: Party dilemma: which date?

I think that it would be difficult for me to travel to another city on the 21st given that we already have to travel for Christmas IYSWIM.

Last year we had a party (nothing huge - about 20 adults & 18 kids I think) and had it on the 11th December. We put the tree up earlier than usual for us, got all the decorations out and pretty much everyone said it got them in the mood for Christmas, so there was a really good festive atmosphere.

I have a friend who had her 40th birthday party in the 1st wk of december - that was a full on proper party party with loads of champagne, canapes & hired waiting staff that went on for hours and hours and it was amazing. Definitely a celebration of her birthday rather than being lumped in with Christmas if that makes any sense. Her birthday is on the 26th December so it was several weeks early but that didn't seem to matter in the slightest.
    xx Hermie xx
    xx Snorks xx
    xx Mr Baby xx

I'm not sure it would feel like my birthday early december but if it's mid december it will probably interfere with peoples work dos.

Chief Damsel Damsella

I think earlier in December would be the most fun

January is such a dull month Everyone is poor, loads of people give up booze, and everyone is partied out.
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

30-something Damsel bubbasweet
    As another person with a Christmas birthday, 19th, I would go with early December and tell people the date now! It's a rubbish time if year isn't it... If family can't make it you can always have a celebration nearer Christmas when they're all visiting.

Invisable Chell
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsella View Post

January is such a dull month Everyone is poor, loads of people give up booze, and everyone is partied out.
    WSS, my Dad and friend both have their birthday on 28th Dec. My friend gets annoyed as a lot of people are too skint or just not in the mood to go out by her Birthday.
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Santorini bride <3 Dancing Queen

I kind of agree with this however a family friend had her 50th party on her actual bday last Dec, which was Sat 17th, and loads of people went. She said she sent out 'save the date' cards around May/June time.

My work do was almost booked for that date, and I wouldn't have gone to it (the work do), so if you're really intent on having it nearer to your bday, accept that some people won't be able to make it re travel, and send out invites/save the date ASAP. Also, a large majority of my Xmas parties have been on a Fri, so maybe a Sat would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
    I kind of agree with this however a family friend had her 50th party on her actual bday last Dec, which was Sat 17th, and loads of people went. She said she sent out 'save the date' cards around May/June time.

My work do was almost booked for that date, and I wouldn't have gone to it (the work do), so if you're really intent on having it nearer to your bday, accept that some people won't be able to make it re travel, and send out invites/save the date ASAP. Also, a large majority of my Xmas parties have been on a Fri, so maybe a Sat would be better.
    Thanks - that's really helpful. You're right about the Friday/Saturday thing. Maybe I should go for 15th December and then do something on my actual birthday with family (who I'm pretty sure won't be able to make that date). Will definitely send save the date/early invitations.

Happy Xmas Damsels! Waxy Bean

We received a save-the-date card for a 40th birthday on 22nd December last week - so get planning now!

wannabe noo noo

I would go for early January. For me its such a dull month and anti-climax after Christmas that its great to have something to look forward to.

If you had to go for 21/22nd then I'd definitely go for the Saturday as opposed to the Mad Friday when there are a lot of work doo's

A friend of mine had her 40th party early December last year - think it was Friday 9th or thereabouts - and she invited close to 100 people but in the end only around 30 made it and she ended up scaling it down and having it in her house.

Whatever you decide get save the dates out to those you really want to be there ASAP - I've already done that for my 40th at the end of October.

It's my 40th on Dec 15th & I'm planning on having my 'do' that day, but I have already spoken to most people about it, and am planning on letting the others know in the next week or so.

It's rubbish having a December birthday isn't it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I'd definitely go for early December as others have said, a nice way to get into the festivities

Doesn't give a *!* Damsel DillyDally

We have a family party around the 21/22 December every year - it's sort of a Christmas party (DH's family is huge, and everyone splits into smaller family units for Christmas itself) - but we know that's coming up, so it's not a problem. I would go for earlier in December if I were you, as more people are likely to be able to attend.

Are they 'partied out' because of the 'party season' The family party is the only one I ever go to - can't stand the things, I've never been 'partied out'. And I like January (several important people's birthdays are in January).
    Dilly xx

Clean Sweep - my decluttering and home organisation blog.
    Don't save things for best - make every day your best day.