Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
    Totally Shattered Damsel

Re: At what age would you start leaving them alone at home for short periods?

I've left DS1 for 10-15 mins when I've popped out. He's usually sat on the sofa watching TV or DS'ing and knows all the rules (ie dont open door etc).

I wouldnt leave O with him - they are likely to start squabbling if I go to the loo let alone leave the house
    =

DD1 is 10, 11 in September and we leave her for short periods of time if we're running local errands (within walking distance - to the shop, school run, postbox, etc), or if, I need to go a bit further afield, a neighbour is home - we have a reciprocal agreement with one of our neighbours that if one of us needs to dash out, they'll act as back up - they'll keep an ear/eye out and be at the end of a phone if there's an emergency.

She is allowed out within a certain radius of our house - to friends, the shop, school, park on her own. She'll be going to secondary school on her own on the bus in just over a year so we're gradually giving her more freedom and independence to build up to it.

DD2 is 7 in a couple of months and I don't think I'll ever be comfortable leaving her home alone, she's a law unto herself

Damsel Diva kelly

I've been leaving DS1 (10 yesterday) at home alone for up to 30 mins for about the last year. I figure that if I allow him to go up to the other end of the village to the park on his own for an entire afternoon then leaving him glued to the telly isn't an issue.

I've left him and DS2 alone a few times when i've nipped to the shop in the morning for milk or bread but the shop is just at the end of the street.

Damsel Diva Superkat
    I wouldn't leave DS (just turned 7) alone, even just to pop to the shop, however I have recently discovered that OH has been doing it for a couple of months, leaving him while he nips to the local shop, which is literally two minutes away. I am quite annoyed about it actually, just think that he isn't ready to be in his own quite yet

Loving being mummy to the crazy whirlwind that is Toby

Damsel Diva clowe74

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Chain View Post
    but it does show how things have changed since the 70's!
    See this leads onto a conversation I had yesterday with my brother about similar things. He used to hitch hike everywhere but was saying that these days hardly anyone would pick them up due to all the nutters.
    Now, do we have more nutters than say 20 years ago or is it just because they get more publicity now??
    DS1 16, DS2 14, DD 11

Quote Originally Posted by clowe74 View Post
    Now, do we have more nutters than say 20 years ago or is it just because they get more publicity now??
    definitely a new thread!!

Damsel Diva clowe74

See I would but no one ever replies to my pointless threads (and no that isnt a call for sympathy)

Damsel Diva Velvet Chain

I do think things have changed, and not just the reporting of things - stuff like gangs were never around to the degree that they are now (not in the 70's at least). Plus there was more of a community feel about things then which there isn't now and that makes a difference, I used to know everyone in the streets around me and so did my parents, so everyone knew you and that made a difference.

And yes clowe, you need to start a new thread on this - even if it will be just you and I discussing it lol.xx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3