Capsule Wardrobe to fit in carry-on sized suitcase

My first post in fashion - I am in awe of you fashion ladies and hope you can help.

I am going to Malta next week on a work/holiday type trip. We will be there for 6 nights. The dress code will mostly be smart casual. We will be outside in the evenings so it will be chilly but hopefully nice during the day. I also anticipate a lot of walking around.

I am the sort of person who usually just packs the world just in case but on this occasion I am limited to one carry-on bag only - thank you Squeezee-Jet !

So, I need help packing a capsule wardrobe that will work. I have lots of stuff that I mostly don't wear so must be able to come up with something but have no inspiration at all.

I do have some good basics, like some stone Linen Trousers and Jeans and am hoping to work around that but have trouble mixing things up, especially colours.

Can anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Chief Damsel Damsella

Re: Capsule Wardrobe to fit in carry-on sized suitcase

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think I'd be paying to take a case in the hold as well How much would it cost?
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

wannabe noo noo

I've already tried arguing that one with DH who is also the Boss. (as in I work for him, not that he's some kind of dictator!) 28 per bag each way, which is more than the flights cost. He's definitely not having any of it

I think maybe I need to pick a colour scheme and just jam in everything I can that fits in!!

Thanks Noo Noo - that's some impressive packing! Off to study the pics in more detail!

Quote Originally Posted by noo noo View Post
    That is brilliant! Just pinned it in Pinterest!
    L is 6
    B is 4

That is some brilliant packing!

I've done 6 day business trips to India in carry on. Wore one trouser suit on the plane and carefully folded another in my bag. One pair of thin casual trousers for the odd time we had time to change out of business wear before dinner. About 10 tops and one spare pair of shoes. Underwear (don't see any underwear on this packing demo ) wash bag and makeup bag (with liquids removed and put in outside pocket for easy airport scanning).

I was flying BA though so I was allowed another bag to hold all my documents, laptop, bottles of water, emergancy food (for when everything gets too spicy!) plus other random cr*p you always think you'll need when travelling.

Hope you find something that works for you

Debutante Damsel Rouge

I regularly do this :P Not sure what to suggest apart from what's already been said. Make sure that everything goes with everything else so there are enough combinations, don't bring things you aren't sure about or you would only wear in specific conditions (e.g. overly formal things "just in case".. I'm guilty of this all the time and never need them). Wear all your warm/large things like jeans and cardis and coverups.

Get a zip lock bag of the right size for airport standards and either buy minis of toiletries or decant products into smaller things. Be careful though, some of my stuff spilt everywhere because I was using small bottles I'd never used before and they didn't fasten very securely. I find buying minis is expensive the first time round but then you can decant into those after they get finished.

Oh and apart from things like kaftans and such, if you don't ever wear it in the UK (too short/skimpy/don't really like it) then there probably isn't any reason why you would on holiday. I took some hotpants on holiday once thinking I'd have the confidence to wear them.. of course I didn't..

I would go for mix and match thin layers. When I go away (which is only ever on holiday not work) I lay my clothes out and write a plan of outfits ..what can be worn with what etc, add a few accessories to make them look different and I am sure you can do it
    www.knotjustjigs.co.uk
    Traditional toys you forgot existed.
    No batteries required, just a little imagination....

Knot Just Jigs Blog

Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by noo noo View Post

Wowzers! I'd definitely go with trousers, jeans, tops that will mix & match, a nice jacket and a maxi dress?

Thanks for the tips everyone! We just got back and actually ended up checking a case in after all.

I surprised myself by managing to get my clothes and shoes down so it would fit in a carry on but there was no way my toiletries were going to fit in that tiny 20cm x 20cm plastic bag!!

I mean, seriously, I didn't think I used that much stuff so how can that be possible!!!

Had a great time anyway and seem to have missed the worst of the weather here.

Thanks again all!