Damsel Diva Chickenlips

What do you do (overnight) when they just won't belch?!

Gaaaaaaaah!!! Jude is really good at bringing his wind up....except at 3am in the morning, I spent 45 minutes trying to bring wind up - nothing, even though he felt like a beach ball. I ended up laying him next to me with his head on a folded towel. He then slept for nearly 5 hours.

I know it's uncomfortable for them, but is there anything else I should be worried about if he doesn't bring the wind up?
    Mum to 2 beautiful girls and a handsome little man

Re: What do you do (overnight) when they just won't belch?!

I didn't know you had to wind them I used to sit them upright after a feed for a few minutes so it didn't all come back out again, especially with DD2 and her reflux, but I never tried to make them burp or worried if they didn't :slackparent:.

I'd say if he slept comfortably for 5 hours, you wasted 45 mins

I'd only persevere if they seemed uncomfortable, ie crying or bringing their legs up etc. If he slept for 5 hours it can't have been bothering him

B hardly ever brought wind up with her night feeds, she frequently did during the day (along with mountains of puke ) but because she mostly took her night feeds half asleep she didn't gulp down much air. I would pop her on my shoulder or over my knees and if nothing came out after a couple of mins I gave up and put her back to bed. Sounds like Jude is similar, if he's not in pain with it I'd just pop him back and go to sleep.
    L is 6
    B is 4

DD1 never burped when she was tiny, she farted alot but no amount of winding ever got anything up. didn't seem to do her any harm

Damsel Diva Chickenlips

Oh thats a relief (and I wonder how many more hours I wasted trying to wind the girls!).

I know I'm paranoid about it but I remember when i was young overhearing my mum saying something stupid about SIDS and not winding, it stuck with me, even though I know there's no truth/evidence in it.

Truly Blessed bluekat

You've probably tried it but I used to put mine with their arms and head over my shoulders, rub/pat their back and rock them so that they could lean to their left.

If that didn't bring up a rift I'd wait for it at the other end

I have no idea one way or another if it is harmful to not wind them, doesn't sound like it is, providing they're not showing signs of discomfort.

Because DD2 was a phenomenal spewer I tried not to burp her too much. If she did a huge burp, her feed would follow right behind it.

George and Brad, free with every BlueKat post...bargain !

I was told by hv not to chase wind when they said Ella had mild colic (although I'm not convinced it was colic just wind)

Give it 10 mins unless really crawling screaming etc

Ella actually usually if cant wind has a bit more milk maybe 10 or so more sucks comes off then i put her over shoulder and normally get a massive burp straight away

baby max born 14.4.2010,mmc 6.12.2007,mmc 11.06.2008, mc 25.11.2008

Damsel Diva Oana

I've always found them to be calmer at night and therefore don't get so much air so it may be that he doesn't need to be winded.
    I'd say he was fine if he slept for 5 hours - what a result