• evden eve
  • free hosting coupons
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
      McDamsel

Your favourite veggie recipes please

I've got some girlfriends coming for dinner on Friday and one of them is veggie and I want to cook her something lovely. She always seems to get shortshrift (sp?!) and I was thinking of doing curries so that I could do one meat one and one veggie.

But am open to any other suggestions as long as it's tasty (and preferably not too tricky as it's Friday night and DH is away for the weekend!).

xxx
      Mid-Season Sale Now On - save up to 80%:
      http://www.beautifulthings.co.uk - Type damsels2 for a 15% discount - works on sale stuff too!

Damsel Diva

Re: Your favourite veggie recipes please

Pesto gnocchi bake;
      Make White sauce add a generous dollop of pesto.
      Par boil gnocchi & tenderstem broccoli.
      Put in an oven dish, mixing in cheese (I've used brie & blue cheese before), pour the White sauce over. Sprinkle Parmesan, bread crumbs & toasted pine nuts. Oven for about 25mins.

Ginger rules

I tend to either do Mexican or Indian if I have a mixed group - I tend to do a lot of veggie options and perhaps just one meat one, that way the veggies can still eat a variety of stuff.

Bop

By 'eck Saffy

I tend to do similar to Bop when catering for veggies - although the meat eaters often go for the vegetable dishes, so make sure the vegetarian gets her fill before everyone else digs in!

Alternatively Delia's oven baked mushroom risotto is a doddle and always seems to go down well. ClementineXYZ once recommended a recipe to me for a veggie friend which she (the veggie friend) raved about - Squash Fondue (I think her recipe was a Hugh F-W one but I can't find it online - the one above looks pretty similar though).
      Ben - 11 July 2008

Damsel Diva claireh

I did a veggie and a chicken enchiladas a couple of weeks ago when I had friends over. It worked out really well. I made a salad and had some homemade guacamole and salsa.

blissed out mummy Miss Frosty
      I did a lentil , spinach & sweet potato dahl which was lovely ( recipe on bbc good food !)

June 08 Sept 09

Damsel Diva joanne62

Jamie Olivers honeycomb cannelloni always goes down well.
      http://eastvillagekitchen.com/2009/0...elloni-recipe/

McDamsel

Thanks for the ideas everyone - I'm now torn with what to cook but reckon Jamie's Honeycomb Cannelloni sounds great and fairly prepare ahead. Joanne62, I'm assuming the cannelloni tubes break when you push them into the sauce? How embarrassing to even have to ask this question!

Veggie enchiladas also a good idea and I'm off to check out the dahl in a mo Miss Frosty.

CB, love the sound of the gnocchi and will definitely try this another time and Saffy, I love risotto but it's a bit of a standing joke with this friend that that's what people always cook her!

Make Do and Mend Damsel silverpod

For the enchiladas, this is a nice refried bean recipe (sorry about the highlight, did a search for it).

Fry an onion and leek, add a tin of kidney beans and the best part of a tin/jar of red peppers (I ususally get these from Lidl but most supermarkets stock them now). Add 1/2 pint stock, teaspoon cumin, coriander, paprika and chilli to taste. Reduce, then whizz up and add half a lemon. Before blending, I normally take a few tablespoons of the mixture out to add back in again so it adds a bit of texture and doesn't completely look like babyfood). You can make this ahead of time and then just heat to serve.
      Been busy and got the start of a big clear out on ebay. Please take a look - it's like an Aladdin's cave!

Invisable Chell

Quote Originally Posted by joanne62 View Post
      Jamie Olivers honeycomb cannelloni always goes down well.
      http://eastvillagekitchen.com/2009/0...elloni-recipe/
      Anchovies aren't veggie nor is parmesan.
      DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast