Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    McDamsel

Your favourite veggie recipes please

I've got some girlfriends coming for dinner on Friday and one of them is veggie and I want to cook her something lovely. She always seems to get shortshrift (sp?!) and I was thinking of doing curries so that I could do one meat one and one veggie.

But am open to any other suggestions as long as it's tasty (and preferably not too tricky as it's Friday night and DH is away for the weekend!).

xxx
    Mid-Season Sale Now On - save up to 80%:
    http://www.beautifulthings.co.uk - Type damsels2 for a 15% discount - works on sale stuff too!

Damsel Diva

Re: Your favourite veggie recipes please

Pesto gnocchi bake;
    Make White sauce add a generous dollop of pesto.
    Par boil gnocchi & tenderstem broccoli.
    Put in an oven dish, mixing in cheese (I've used brie & blue cheese before), pour the White sauce over. Sprinkle Parmesan, bread crumbs & toasted pine nuts. Oven for about 25mins.

Ginger rules

I tend to either do Mexican or Indian if I have a mixed group - I tend to do a lot of veggie options and perhaps just one meat one, that way the veggies can still eat a variety of stuff.

Bop

By 'eck Saffy

I tend to do similar to Bop when catering for veggies - although the meat eaters often go for the vegetable dishes, so make sure the vegetarian gets her fill before everyone else digs in!

Alternatively Delia's oven baked mushroom risotto is a doddle and always seems to go down well. ClementineXYZ once recommended a recipe to me for a veggie friend which she (the veggie friend) raved about - Squash Fondue (I think her recipe was a Hugh F-W one but I can't find it online - the one above looks pretty similar though).
    Ben - 11 July 2008

Damsel Diva claireh

I did a veggie and a chicken enchiladas a couple of weeks ago when I had friends over. It worked out really well. I made a salad and had some homemade guacamole and salsa.

blissed out mummy Miss Frosty
    I did a lentil , spinach & sweet potato dahl which was lovely ( recipe on bbc good food !)

June 08 Sept 09

Damsel Diva joanne62

Jamie Olivers honeycomb cannelloni always goes down well.
    http://eastvillagekitchen.com/2009/0...elloni-recipe/

McDamsel

Thanks for the ideas everyone - I'm now torn with what to cook but reckon Jamie's Honeycomb Cannelloni sounds great and fairly prepare ahead. Joanne62, I'm assuming the cannelloni tubes break when you push them into the sauce? How embarrassing to even have to ask this question!

Veggie enchiladas also a good idea and I'm off to check out the dahl in a mo Miss Frosty.

CB, love the sound of the gnocchi and will definitely try this another time and Saffy, I love risotto but it's a bit of a standing joke with this friend that that's what people always cook her!

Make Do and Mend Damsel silverpod

For the enchiladas, this is a nice refried bean recipe (sorry about the highlight, did a search for it).

Fry an onion and leek, add a tin of kidney beans and the best part of a tin/jar of red peppers (I ususally get these from Lidl but most supermarkets stock them now). Add 1/2 pint stock, teaspoon cumin, coriander, paprika and chilli to taste. Reduce, then whizz up and add half a lemon. Before blending, I normally take a few tablespoons of the mixture out to add back in again so it adds a bit of texture and doesn't completely look like babyfood). You can make this ahead of time and then just heat to serve.
    Been busy and got the start of a big clear out on ebay. Please take a look - it's like an Aladdin's cave!

Invisable Chell

Quote Originally Posted by joanne62 View Post
    Jamie Olivers honeycomb cannelloni always goes down well.
    http://eastvillagekitchen.com/2009/0...elloni-recipe/
    Anchovies aren't veggie nor is parmesan.
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Invisable Chell

Invisable Chell

Dahl recipes on this thread.

McDamsel

Quote Originally Posted by Chell View Post
    Yes, I'd noticed that and was just going to omit the anchovies. Off to check out your recipes now Chell.

xxx

McDamsel

Oooh, Chell, reckon that Puy Lentil Lasagne sounds perfect - have you made it before? Is it really yummy?

Really must cook more veggie food - my mum and sister are both vegetarian and now this thread has given me loads of new ideas. Thanks also for the Veggie Meal thread Chell

Invisable Chell

The puy lentil one is lovely, Shiny posted it. I think it was August girl who suggested using the base mix as a sheperds pie, that is lovely topped with cheese. My Dad is a meat eater and it is one of his favourite meals.

Damsel Diva joanne62

Sorry.

I do remember getting a "parmesan" substitute from Waitrose but I can't remember what I did about the anchovies.

Damsel Diva S-J

Ohh lovely, Im a veggie so going to take a look. Im weird though and I hate mushrooms I like the sound of oven-baked risotto though, might google and see if I can find other recipes.

Damsel Diva LME

Aren't capers meant to be a good substitute for anchovies? I tend to just miss them out though. Looks yummy, may have to add it to the list of things to try.

I made a lentil roast today. http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/3498/...nut-roast.aspx I didn't have a few ingredients, so subbed a couple of things, just some of the veg for others - celery in place of leek and carrot in place of pepper. I reckon it would work with most finely chopped veg. I will be making it again as it was tasty and a lot less work than I imagined. Oh I also subbed the egg and put tomato ketchup in its place - that way it didn't need cooking as long, but didn't hold together as nicely as it would do with egg.
    DD June 05
    DS June 07

Damsel Diva

I didn't know Parmesan wasn't veggie I may have serves it up to a vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by cheeky_biscuit View Post
    I didn't know Parmesan wasn't veggie I may have serves it up to a vegetarian
    Not many people do. I often wonder in restaurants whether they have special veggie parmesan on their vegetarian dishes. I'm sure most don't and they just don't know that not all cheese is vegetarian. Pizza Express state on their menu that if you want something to be vegetarian, to ask for it without parmesan.

Sainsburys used to do an own-brand, cheap version of parmesan that was veggie, I'm not sure if they still do it though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast