3weeks and has lost weight this week?

Ella was 7lb 13 when born

Day 5 she was 7lb 9 and they were happy with this

Next time she for weighed she was 10g off her birth weight

Last Thursday when midwife discharged us she was 7lb 15 1/2 which was great as gained weight

Today though she had lost an oz so now I need to keep getting her weighed weekly

I'm just confused really how can this happen?

She feeds well latches well feeds and comes off herself wakes if sleeping for a feed wet nappies etc

I'm confident I have milk actually a lot of milk (i expressed 3oz the other day in less than 5mins) she often has milk on mouth/chin from her coming off,I'm getting let down pain and am leaking.she is also satisfied sleeps well etc

I'm just not sure why and a bit gutted as thought feeding was going so well!

Thanks

baby max born 14.4.2010,mmc 6.12.2007,mmc 11.06.2008, mc 25.11.2008

Tea Lady Damsel Booh

Re: 3weeks and has lost weight this week?

Are you eating and drinking well? Lots of protein and carbs?

I had poor weight gain with DS, but I worked out that while I had a lot of milk, I think it was skimmed and not full fat.....I was busy, not eating enough calories (extra 500 a day) back to the gym etc.

Once I'd upped my protein and carb intake it was fine and DS started to put on weight .

Don't get her weighed weekly. Honestly week to week the weight gain is so small a good wee or poo beforehand can wipe out a whole weeks gain. Or weighing after/before a feed. Even time of day can affect it.

Focus on this:
    She feeds well latches well feeds and comes off herself wakes if sleeping for a feed wet nappies etc

I'm confident I have milk actually a lot of milk (i expressed 3oz the other day in less than 5mins) she often has milk on mouth/chin from her coming off,I'm getting let down pain and am leaking.she is also satisfied sleeps well etc
    As long as she sleeps, eats, sees, poos, and behaves as she should you're both doing great.

My HV would like to have banned weighing totally, and I never weighed DD2. But please, if you must weigh, do it monthly, or fortnightly at the very most. It's much less stressful and you'll get a much better idea of overall gain. Like adults not weighing every day!

ETA; at about 6 weeks your supply will adjust, and suddenly you might find you no longer leak/can't express/don't feel the letdown/dont get so engorged. Don't panic, you do still have milk, your body has just adjusted to only making what's needed!

Damsel Diva Bert2e

Quote Originally Posted by Booh View Post
    Are you eating and drinking well? Lots of protein and carbs?

I had poor weight gain with DS, but I worked out that while I had a lot of milk, I think it was skimmed and not full fat.....I was busy, not eating enough calories (extra 500 a day) back to the gym etc.

Once I'd upped my protein and carb intake it was fine and DS started to put on weight .
    Sorry but this just isn't true unless you are on starvation rations - which living in the Western world you aren't - what you eat has no impact on the "quality" of your milk.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

From what you have said it sounds like she is doing just fine and weekly weighing will just make you more stressed. Was she weighed on the same set of scales each time? If not they may well have been calibrated differently and have recorded her weight incorrectly. Does she look like she's growing to you? At least 6 wet nappies / 24hrs? At least 2 2 coin sized poos / 24 hrs? Are you sore?

I'd rather not get her weighed tbh unless I'm worried but hv visited today and wants to monitor each week for the next few weeks :-s she did say she isn't overly concerned as I know what I'm doing regarding signs of a problem like her nappies

The nappy I took off after a 2hr sleep that I woke her from to be weighed was pretty wet and health visitor did see this too

I'm eating as well as I can with a 2year old a baby and just me for 6weeks until dh gets home from work -I'm eating what I make ds so has been homemade cottage pies pasta lasagne baked potatoes etc fruit yoghurts etc too and probably too many biscuits and treats too.def no gym or anything yet although I am non stop from 6am until bedtime and up in night with the 2 of them so maybe I'm burning off more than I think!im drinking loads and loads with the feeding

I just don't get it as I expected a gain really but I do feel she is satisfied and feeding enough with the correct nappies so maybe just one of those things

Nope not sore at all