How much weight per week should you expect to lose after having a gastric band fitted

I know someone who is having this done next month, and she reckons she will lose 1-2lbs a week.

I can't see how she can only lose that much, given the small amounts of food she will be eating? Surely she could expect to lose more than that?

I will be aiming to lose about that on WW, and I will be eating much more food than she will (from what she's told me, anyway)

Undecided Lucky 13

Re: How much weight per week should you expect to lose after having a gastric band fitted

My Friend had one fitted at the end of February and so far She has lost 4 stone.

Chief Damsel Damsella

Re: How much weight per week should you expect to lose after having a gastric band fitted

I don't know, but surely it's better she expects to lose less than she probably will? That way she will stay positive.

It's a drastic procedure to have and hopefully she will be getting support with her emotions and habits as well.
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

Dams - I am so surprised that she has not had any counselling prior to this procedure. She is going privately - maybe that's the reason?

I am totally behind her in having the procedure done, but I do think that counselling should be required. There is a reason why someone reaches the weight they do, and those reasons will still be there, whether there is a band in place or not.

I am a bit concerned as to why she is expecting to lose such a small amount of weight. I wonder why she's downplaying it? If it was me, I'd be so excited at the potential weight loss I'd not stop talking about it

Mulled Wino Katoid

My friend also had this done privately (well gastric sleeve) and didn't get any help - I think she should have.. Her loss was about 2lbs a week but it was constant and she has lost about 5 stone now, she had it a year ago. Eta that she also drank v heavily until a couple of months ago so despite rapid loss she slowed down for a while.
    DD is 8
    DS is 3

Blog

Damsel Diva claireh

I saw an interesting programme a couple of weeks ago. It showed the brain response in normal weight people and obese people to seeing images of high fat and high sugar foods.

The brain response in both was very different. The interesting thing that they found was that after morbidly obese people had the gastric band / bypass surgery their brain response changed to that of a person of normal weight. They don't know why this happens yet.