wannabe noo noo

How can I make a lego pinata?

Me being somewhat crafty and all said I would make one for a friend's son's lego birthday party!

I was thinking a shoe box with six coffee jar lids (or similar!) and then covered in red tissue/crepe pape kind papier mache stylee. So it looks like a large lego block. However I'm worried it will be too strong and not break. Also how do I fill it? leave a kind of trapdoor or get her to give me the contents before I make it?

Any ideas?

Re: How can I make a lego pinata?

I thought you meant actually making a pinata out of Lego bricks!

I made one in the shape of a number 1 once and just cut up a cereal box then lightly taped it into the 1 shape with masking tape before covering with a layer of paper mache and then crepe paper. Even then it took some bashing so I think a shoe box prob would be too tough.

Invisable Chell

Another fairly simple shape would be a Lego figures head. Trying to think what you could use to mould the shape though.
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Make Do and Mend Damsel silverpod

I'd second a cereal box as it should be slightly thinner card- but before you cover it with mache, make slits/cuts in the big areas and hopefully this will help it get smashed. Also, don't go mad with the mache- 3, or even 2 layers should be enough (it's just so therapeutic doing mache I know )

I have always added a trapdoor and then used masking tape once the things are in. If the trapdoor is on the top/sides, it shouldn't open. If it is too strong you can then always take a knife to make more slits for bashing.
    Been busy and got the start of a big clear out on ebay. Please take a look - it's like an Aladdin's cave!

wannabe noo noo

Only catching up with this now as was away for a couple of days. Thanks for the link and advice I'll let you know how I get on...

Invisable Chell

Quote Originally Posted by Chell View Post
    Another fairly simple shape would be a Lego figures head. Trying to think what you could use to mould the shape though.
    A Dairlylea round box could make the top of the head and neck part.

Just me being me!

I would just make it out of papier mache (cover a box of some sort, remove box when dry, cut in half decorate, paint, then loosely secure the two halves back together when filled). Anything with more structure than that would probably be difficult to break apart.

wannabe noo noo

Its finished!

Ginger rules

Looks good. When's the party - hope they enjoy it

Bop

Make Do and Mend Damsel silverpod

That's ace! Almost too good to be trashed (having said that I was once able to reuse a pinata with a little sticky tape and crepe paper).

la la la I can't hear you Jelly

I love it!