Snorks 6, Mr Baby 3! parkejm

Itchy, sore belly button

My belly button is so itchy, and it's very red and sore inside. And it's a bit stinky and cheesey I've been wiping it with wet cotton wool recently but it's just getting worse. My skin is really dry at the moment and I thought it was just irritated because of that but now I think something else is going on. I've got a bit of a tummy flap/overhang there especially since having the boys, so it can get a bit moist but nothing that normal showering and a bit of talc every now and again doesn't sort out.It's driving me mad and is really sore Has anyone else had something similar and how did you deal with it?
    xx Hermie xx
    xx Snorks xx
    xx Mr Baby xx

Damsel Diva BellaDonna

Re: Itchy, sore belly button

Yes, my best friend had this and ended up going to the doctors. Apparently it's really common and nothing to do with hygiene, so I think you should pop to the docs when you get a chance.
    *** Take good care of time, how you spend it
    For nothing is more precious than time. ***

TVoR, QoN, etc. redhed

It's probably thrush, or similar - a fungal infection. Get a tube of canesten from the pharmacy and follow the directions strictly, ie twice a day, without fail, for a fortnight.
    CHASE children's hospice and Disability Challengers
    Every donation makes a BIG difference to small charities.

PissyPantsPosse Petrus

I've had this before and just put in some thrush cream for a couple days which has done the trick.
    'You will never find the right one if you can't let go of the wrong one!'

Little man 1/2/06
    Chunk 11/6/09

BD, I tried to get Oren a Drs appt over a week ago and the earliest they can see him, even with the Dr requesting he come in for a heart check is the 1st week in January. So I don't hold out much hope for my belly button being top of their priorities!

I've just cleaned it with boiled water and cotton wool and it's really painful and the skin looks very raw. I'll see if I can find somewhere to get canestan from this evening or I can go t he pharmacy tomorrow morning. Thanks Red x eta & Petrus!

got married irislili

Bung some Sudocreme in it!
    C 24/12/03 M 28/7/2007 I 08/08/08

Quote Originally Posted by irislili View Post
    Bung some Sudocreme in it!
    This is what I do if mine gets a bit sore, in fact it's what I do for almost all skin problems.

If you're washing it make sure you dry it really well.
    Stropy x

Monster ds 02/08/06

Cute dd 13/11/09

I get this and just use savlon and clean with cool boiled water on a cotton pad. takes about 4-5 days to heal.

The pharmacist wouldn't sell me canestan. She said it's very agressive stuff and mustn't be used onbroken cream She gave me antiseptic ointment to soothe & heal and then I can try canestan. But if there's no improvement I'm to see the nurse at the GP's surgery. I mentioned sudocreme and she said it might be too thick, not let the skin breathe and cause infection

It's weeping openly now so I've had to tape some gauze over the top to catch the drips, ick.

Ignoring the rain LibertyGal72

Poor you! It might be infected so you might be prescribed antiBs.

Is there any part around the area that feels more solid than normal?
    libertygal

Kathy Lette: ...women are each other's human Wonderbras uplifting, supportive and making each other look bigger and better.

Super fit Damsel Velvet Chain

Poor you, it does sound infected right now. I think you should get the Dr to have a look as it might need something stronger than antiseptic to clear it up.

I have had this quite frequently and now as soon as it starts - cotton bud and antiseptic a few times a day and definitely after my shower and that seems to heal it right up.

TVoR, QoN, etc. redhed

I'd ask the doctor for a steroid/antibiotic cream. I think the underlying problem is still fungal (from the cheesy smell, sorry tmi) but you need it to heal quick before you can banish the fungus for good and the steroid will speed that up.

In the meantime, have you tried bathing it in VERY concentrated salt water solution?

Dazzling Damsel keikobelle

Mr K had this, his belly button was like a bowl of fondue We just kept cleaning it with boiled water and salt and it cleared up in about a week.

If you can carefully dry it with a cotton bud (the baby safety ones are good for this) after you've showered and make sure all the moisture is gone the raw skin should heal quicker.

Its horrible, i must have paper skin because i split my belly button at least once a month if i dry myself too roughly