• evden eve
  • free hosting coupons
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast
      Damsel Diva

Re: Ipod touch for a 7 year old - pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by noo noo View Post
      Santa will bring a Mobile Phone (Kyle) and a Kindle (Iona) plus stockings.
      Would she really need a separate Kindle? You can get the kindle app free for the ipod touch.

Just remember you are giving a 7yr old un supervised access o the Internet in a very portable way if you choose to put wifi on with it- yes " safe search" is there but still. Sorry but my teens are only just getting comp,ete free range on the web in their own rooms at 14 or so. Dd2 (12) still uses the Internet in the living room.

Just my 2p worth.

And I agree buy toys for a 7yr old and play WITH your child- not specifically directed t the op - but I'm sure a lot of the " my child isn't interested in toys/books" is because they are given stuff and expect to get on with it - they need to learn how to play/ read for pleasure etc

DD (8) is getting dh's old iPhone when he upgrades (sim removed!). It's a 3. It's on strict understanding that she will share it with her brother sometimes.

She has a ds, and we were going to get one for DS () this Christmas - but there just seems no point any more. There's two smartphones, and iPad & a Kindle in the house already. Plus dd takes a book everywhere. So we are not short on gaming devices, cameras or portable things to entertain on the go.

It seemed sensible to hang on to the old phone and she can have one device for music and games, camera too if she wants. She's already got an old 1st gen iPod but tbh she finds it difficult to find the music she wants - touchscreen much easier. The iPod will go to DS's room, I'll start it playing stories and music for him.

Katiekipper - I see your point about the password. However I think we will just disable wireless completely - I think dd will be perfectly happy using the already downloaded stuff and asking if/when she wants more. She's not the most 'grown-up' of 8 yr olds though, and still plays with soft toys LOADS, so I don't have concerns on that score.

Sorry - not sure this ramble is of much help!

Debutante Damsel Millyboo

My DD w.ho's 6 originally wanted a netbook for Christmas but has since went off the idea as lots of her friends are getting an iPod touch for Christmas. We had a similar dilema but I reasoned that it is another "electronic device" like a DS etc so we have bought her one from Santa for Christmas.

By the way we bought it direct from Apple - it was a reconditioned one and cost 139.

She is an "expert" already on my iPhone and does use some Maths apps as well as the usual games - Angry birds.

I personally think that at 7 it is an acceptable present to get!

wannabe noo noo

Quote Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
      Would she really need a separate Kindle? You can get the kindle app free for the ipod touch.
      Argh! I so don't need to hear that.

Kindle is already bought and they were supposed to each be getting Shuffles but on the thread where I asked about a mobile phone for Kyle it was suggested that it was better to get a cheap mobile plus an iTouch and avoid Shuffles altogether as they are difficult to navigate.

FAT donna-j

Quote Originally Posted by thirzasmum View Post

And I agree buy toys for a 7yr old and play WITH your child- not specifically directed t the op - but I'm sure a lot of the " my child isn't interested in toys/books" is because they are given stuff and expect to get on with it - they need to learn how to play/ read for pleasure etc
      Well as I said that, er thanks. How to make me feel crap. No, he just isn't interested and is awake for 13 hours a day so I can't play with him constantly.

Damsel Diva

Noonoo, I don't find reading on the itouch good for my eyes at all. If Iona is going to read on an electronic device a Kindle is far superior than the Kindle App on an itouch.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, will go back through now!

D.I.V.O.R.C.E.D damsel bisy backson

my two have them (wasn't and still wouldn't be with my blessing)

they mainly use them for playing games on & listening to music on during long car journeys and if i have to take them to an appointment with me.

I absolutely don't let them have them during the day, and S has asked to have his email on his but now way

they are easily able to use the technology (and rightly so i think) but i think its totally uneccessary for them to be using them on a daily basis.

as i said, long car journeys and it gives them a bit of independence and generally keeps them quiet, but i don't think they 'need' them at that age.

i agree though, if they don't play with toys it does get difficult.

I have got S a guitar for his (7th) birthday and an inflatable canoe (to share) for xmas if that's any help!

bbxx

Divorced Damsel :D bubblewrap

Quote Originally Posted by donna-j View Post
      Well as I said that, er thanks. How to make me feel crap. No, he just isn't interested and is awake for 13 hours a day so I can't play with him constantly.
      My kids don't WANT to play with me anymore than I want to play with them! I get involved with things that I need to be, for safety etc, but other than that, mine are pretty much left to themselves!

My daughter got an ipod Touch for last Xmas. We haven't regretted the purchase one bit. Wireless is completely disabled on it, if Poppy wants new apps she gives it to me and I do it. She has used it loads, especially whilst travelling and for music and for films. Hours of fun to be had with the camera and video too.
      Proud Mum to Jake, 22 & Poppy, 7

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast