Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
    Carpe Diem katkinn

Ipod touch for a 7 year old - pros and cons

Is it really suitable for a 7 year old? We're really struggling with what to get H for Christmas - in an ideal world we'd get her a Kindle Fire but err you can't and an Ipad is just waaaaaaay out of our price range.

I can't get my head around it being appropriate for a 7 year old. But then I think is this me being an old fuddy Is that what 7 year olds have these days? It just so excessive and grown up (I've only just got an Iphone and I'm bloody 38!!!) and if she has that now - then what???

But then I think - oh well I'm sure there'll be something else on the market for her to have - and an Ipod touch will be yesterday's gadget.

But shouldn't they be bloody playing with TOYS at 7 still?? I'm sure I got a Chickaboo or a Cabbage patch kid from Santa when I was 7

And then there's the younger brother argument. He will have a shit fit if she has one and he cant' (not helped by the fact we have friends with a little boy of 5 who has everything including an Ipod Touch) Yes of course he has to learn (he lost his effing DS so there's no WAY he's getting one )

DH and I aren't gadget people which again though could be one of the issues. It just seems such a mammoth leap of a gift!

She has said that if Santa brings her one she'll give her DS to A.

arrrrgggghhhhh I don't know. She really really wants one but oh bugger I just don't know.

If she could do her homework on it (maths stuff from a website) then I guess that'd be a tick in the plus box. Can she? (see, soooo not technical parents )

Or do I stick with my guns and get her a digital camera?

I can't be the only one having this dilemma!

Chief Damsel Damsella

Re: Ipod touch for a 7 year old - pros and cons

DD plays with my iPhone a lot. But I won't give her her own iPod yet.
    Call me (Mrs) Damz

is free!! Cymber

Is that what she's asked for? Does she not want toys?

I can't get my head round mobile phones and iTouches for such young kids, maybe I'm an old fuddy too
    The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.

I think it's too young

Having said that dd does have access to dh's old 3G iPhone (sim taken out). It's loaded with games and video and is brill for keeping her amused or for a treat.

I wouldn't buy one specifically though. It's just too much money and too easily damaged or lost.

Eta; unless their homework is YouTube or net based, then no, they can't do homework on it.

Damsel Diva Katiekipper
    I think if the owner of the gadget doesn't know the iTunes password and has to go and ask Mummy's permission every time they buy an app then they're too young.
    The gadget owner should be in total control of the gadget and 7 isn't old enough for that in my opinion.

Re homework, most kids homework sites require flash so can't be used on an iPod touch. There are some maths and reading apps but there are far better ones on the Internet that she could be using.
    Mum to Ross 16, Eden 13 and Beanie (real name Finn) 11 and my 3 angel babies, never forgotten xx

Check out my knit shop!
    http://www.facebook.com/LittleEdenKnits

Make Do and Mend Damsel silverpod

I don't think I would- mainly cos of price for us.

I think manufacturers are missing a trick here. You can get things like the leap pad or vtech tablets which are more toy/game based and a bit sturdier but their appropriateness seems to stop around 7-8. The next step up is the real thing, or a laptop. I think they could easily make a product that fills the gap, say for 8-11 year olds, that looks more grown up and similar to a tablet but tailor the software to the age gap.
    Been busy and got the start of a big clear out on ebay. Please take a look - it's like an Aladdin's cave!

At our school year 3/4 and 4/5 have been given IPod touches to use in all of their lessons. So that is from age 7 for some of them. TBH they don't seem to have done much with them yet apart from use Google maps and downloads some Maths games apps and a dictionary. But that could be an argument that they are suitable for that age range.

I would like them to get one less I pod touch and spend the money on pencils and lined paper. One pencil to last a year and absolutely no replacements seems a bit extreme, but that is a whole different rant!

Mother of Martians *kate*
    Quote Originally Posted by katkinn View Post
    But shouldn't they be bloody playing with TOYS at 7 still?? I'm sure I got a Chickaboo or a Cabbage patch kid from Santa when I was 7
    !
    As a parent of an older child this rings bells for me - they grow up so very quickly once they're at secondary so IMO need to spend as much time as they can playing with toys etc. there will come a time when they just won't want toys

I wouldn't get an itouch either at that age. And yes, if you get an itouch now, what next? I always think that you can't go back iyswim, once you've bought an itouch as a main pressie, you've sort of set a precedent.

Just IMO of course, you can buy your kids what you want

Divorced Damsel :D bubblewrap

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if that's what she REALLY wants, and you can afford it and are not *too* against it, then she'll love it!
    My two have the use of my old iPhone 3Gs and although they both use it a bit, limit themselves fairly well and I rarely have to step in and say enough is enough!
    DD1 got a v-tech v-smile pocket thing for her.... 5th (?) birthday and grew sooo bored of it very quickly. I just don't think these kiddy versions are enough to hold their interest for as long.

But then, my two are getting a PS3 for Xmas so what do I know?

FAT donna-j

Well I am going to be the only one to say get it then

ETA: cross posted with BW.

Thomas was given my brother's old one for his birthday (he is 6). IMO they are far better value than a DS. They do music, movies, iplayer and the games are cheap or free (25 for a DS game anyone???) If you have bought your child a DS and also portable CD players for the car (for example) then I fail to see how an iPod Touch is different.

T never touches his DS now.

FAT donna-j

Plus (stalker alert), did you not say Katkinn that she doesn't play with toys? I have given up buying toys for T in the hope that he will be interested as they just sit about the house.

FAT donna-j

Quote Originally Posted by bubblewrap View Post
    But then, my two are getting a PS3 for Xmas so what do I know?
    We are gadgeted to the max too.

If they already have a DS and you'd happily buy her a kindle whats the problem?Yes it's yet another screen but its a music player, (my 7 year old is so into her music, she has her own playlist on my iphone) get a dock for her room and it's a stereo.
    It is also a games console where the games are much cheaper then other consoles. She is unlikely to grow out of it any time soon. She can just replace the games for older versions. She can draw on it, read books on it, use learning apps, the list is endless. My nearly 7 year old hasn't asked for it yet but it's coming and we've decided to go with it.
    DD1 (7)
    DS (4)
    DD2 (2)

Damsel Diva

Quote Originally Posted by donna-j View Post
    IMO they are far better value than a DS. They do music, movies, iplayer and the games are cheap or free (25 for a DS game anyone???)
    Agree with this I was contemplating getting DS2 a DS for xmas but I'm now thinking why waste the money - games cost a fortune, he's happy playing my iPod touch and I can download lots of games aimed at his age group either free or much cheaper than the DS games.

DS1 (7) is getting a netbook for xmas which for him is better than the iPod touch, depends on the child tbh but he plays games on the internet a lot which he couldn't do on an ipod due to lack of flash.

McDamsel

We're holding off for a while longer, although lots of Lexie's friends have them. I just think it's that little bit too young, and where do you go - there are a lot of bdays and Christmases to come before they even hit double figures so I'm trying to hold off at least for another year.

That said, it's easy for me this year as Lexie still scoots to school and her old scooter is so knackered that she's having a new scooter. If I didn't know what to get her it might be a different answer!
    Mid-Season Sale Now On - save up to 80%:
    http://www.beautifulthings.co.uk - Type damsels2 for a 15% discount - works on sale stuff too!

Damsel Diva

Pros - cheap/free games, a huge selection of apps to suit any childs taste (barbie, hello kitty, cut the rope etc), there's educational games (maths bingo, languages etc), it's pocket size, keeps them quiet & entertained on long journeys, you can put music & movies on it too.
    Cons - the younger siblings will want one for their next Xmas/b'day present, they'll argue over it, you'llhave to ration how much time they're on it (maybe altho' DD hasn't touched hers since we've been back), they're small so you lose it all the time (down sofa sides

Thomas got one for his 5th birthday in fairness we used the excuse the he is autistic so doesn't generally play with normal toys!
    Best purchase we have made, there are loads of educational thing you can download, the camera is a good function and the music plus he loved that he could FaceTime with my DH when he was in America recently.
    Only downside is the fear he will break it!!
    Other than that would totally recommend it. To be totally honest, if you can afford it or get other relatives to put money towards it an iPad is also an amazing choice, even Oscar can navigate mine!

Mulled Wino Katoid

I'd say get one but that's only because my dd has DH's old old (pre iPhone) and she loves it, but doesn't use it too much- we have loaded music, audio books and a couple of movies on there and a couple of games. Mostly though it plays her music/books on it though the dock- not much different to a Walkman in my day lol

Eta we have a ds somewhere but no other consoles in the house..
    DD is 8
    DS is 3

Blog

I would have got one for DS ( 8 next week) if his wii hadn't broken so now he is getting a PS3!

Stealth Bragger Minky

Tallulah was desperate for one, and saved up for it herself . She doesn't play with it every day, and I limit her time to about half an hour. It is brilliant for travelling. She likes to take pictures with the camera and lark about with video etc, plus she has some cute apps like Tiny Zoo.

She is 7.5. She doesn't have a DS, we decided on the iPod instead of the DS. She loves plugging it into the dock and listening to the music too.

Horses for courses I suppose. Can she doe homework on it? Beggared if I know! .

Minky, Big Princess T (16 March 2004) and ickle Princess T (25 July 2007). Feb 2006

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast