Damsel Diva claireh

Has anyone washed dry clean only sofa covers?

Title says it all really!

I would really like to clean our sofa cushions and I can't see Whitney couldn't go in the washing machine. They are a sort of very thick linen material.

I know that I should get someone in to clean them but frankly that will cost a chuffin fortune as I have two small children so I will be forever getting them cleaned. It would far easier to occasionally bung them in the wash.

So has anyone done this? If so, any tips?

TVoR, QoN, etc. redhed

Re: Has anyone washed dry clean only sofa covers?

Hmm. Your problem, I think, is they might shrink and if they do you will never get them back on.

Have you tried those dry-clean-in-the-tumble-dryer thingies?
    CHASE children's hospice and Disability Challengers
    Every donation makes a BIG difference to small charities.

FAT donna-j

Yes I do it all the time and will be today! Mine are like corduroy so I figure that if I could wash a pair of trousers I could wash these. They come out looking great.

I've washed dry clean only clothes but you do have to be mentally prepared for it all to go terribly wrong.

Not sure I'd take the chance with sofa covers TBH but if I was feeling a bit gung-ho I'd probably go the route of a cold delicates wash.

Yes like donna, I have a corduroy settee that's meant to be dry clean only, but the covers come up perfectly well in the washing machine. Choose a cool, gentle cycle, obviously!
    08-02-04 spa 28-04-06

As Samba says, try them on a cool wash, no spin and stick em outside to drip dry?

Should be dry in no time with this weather

Believes in miracles. Giggi

I washed my dry clean only curtains the other day (sound like the same sort of material as your cushions) and they came out fine. I did them on a really cool wash, tiny bit of washing liquid and minimal spin.

Could also try hand washing?

I just stick mine in on a 30 synthetic cycle with a gentler spin, although dh has put them in today so god knows what they'll be like!

I was nervous the first time though.
    Stropy x

Monster ds 02/08/06

Cute dd 13/11/09

Yep! We made the huge mistake of being cream sofas (it was before kids in our defence!) which were dry clean only and they get so dirty. Decided to risk it and washed them on a cool wash no spin - they came out great. Over the years I've risked it more and more and now they go on a normal 40 degree wash with spin no problem, in fact I've literally just done it in the last few days.

Be prepared for it to go wrong and try putting them back on when they are still a little damp so they will stretch a little more.
    L is 6
    B is 4

Damsel Diva Oana

Ours always came out fine, perhaps just try one first in case it goes wrong!

I've got dry-clean only cotton sofa covers (quite a coarse weave). I have machine washed them on 30C plenty of times and they've been fine. I did one cushion cover first and it was fine, so bunged the whole lot in.

D x

Damsel Diva claireh

Thank you SO much for all your tips. I washed one of the side cushions this morning on a 30 degree woolens wash with a 800 spin.

I hung the cover out until it was slightly damp and then put it back on the cushion. It has come up an absolute treat! Two big base cushions are now in the wash.

I am so pleased (and relieved!) that it turned out so well. Thank you. X

Damsel Diva Toosh

Yes I do mine all the time. I wash them on a cold wash and spray some Vanish on any stains beforehand. A good tip is to put them back on when they're still a little damp.