Damsel Diva Teresa

Selling cakes you make at home

I have been making lots of cakes for friends and family over the last few months. I have made celebration cakes and also cupcakes and cookies. I have just made them as gifts so far but a few people have suggested that I could sell them.

I have no idea how to go about this though. Is it OK to sell cakes that you make in a normal household kitchen? Do you have to register with anyone or have a food hygiene certificate or anything like that?

I guess a lot of it would be word of mouth to start with but how do you let people know its what you do? Is it worth putting an advert in the local paper or something?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much.
    Imogen - 4th September 2010

mwahXX Hellina

Re: Selling cakes you make at home

i have been considering this for a while myself. i do charge but usually only a tenner to cover costs and to be honest it frequently doesnt!
    i thought i might set up a facebook page and maybe get some cards done to give to the person having the cake and perhaps in local shop windows? i dont know about food hygeine certification etc but i havent the time ti make a big enoug business out of it to warrant that ( i think)

FAT donna-j

There used to be a cupcake sellers thread on here.

I used to have a celebration cake business back in 2008.

It was easy to set up, my local council (Cornwall) came round to inspect my kitchen for hygiene and I had a separate fridge and cupboard for all of my cookery ingredients to keep it all away from meat and general household stuff. I also had to use hairnets and gloves and an apron and the council said they would run spot checks on me so my kitchen was always spotless although I was never spot checked. I also had a food hygiene certificate run through my local college. Hope this helps!

Dedicated Damsel

I don't cook & have never made a cake in my life so have absolutely no idea how you'd go on selling them but if you can earn some cash & make a business out of it then you go for it!

I wish you much luck with it!

There should be a cupcake makers thread definitely there was a few of us going through it all one point.

You should get yourself registered with your local council. They will come round and inspect your kitchen. When I had mine I was asked about processes that I had in place (for instance I kept all the batch numbers, sell by dates etc. of my ingredients for each lot of cakes baked).

I kept all my ingredients separately from my personal ingredients, in a box that was pest proof.

I also have my Advanced Food Hygiene certificate which helped alot.

Simply Business are great with the insurance side as you do have to get Public Liability Insurance, what would you do if you were accused of food poisoning or if a bolt came off your mixer and you didn't notice and someone bit into it?

You also need to register yourself as self employed.

And, check your mortgage, I know there was one Damsel who was so, so talented but had great problems with her mortgage company with running a business from home.

Just a few things to think of and yes, it is really hard to make any sort of money in this game as the effort, time etc. that goes into them rarely gets covered in the price, esp when people say "you're charging how much for a few fairy cakes??"

Best of luck with it all and if you want any other pointers then just shout

TP
    xxxxxxx

Bonjour face Damsel Helski

Yes pretty sure you'd need a food hygiene certificate, however small your business is. I think they're fairly cheap and easy to sort out though. Contact your local council for more info.

As far as marketing, I would team up with people who sell complemetary products locally to promote each others buisnesses, so if you're doing kids birthday cakes; kids party bag sellers, bouncy castle hire, soft plays, etc.

You could advertise in local schools, notice boards, local magazines, shop windows.

You could also approach local bakers to see if they would consider selling your services for a percentage of each sale.

Good luck - great idea - I wish you every success!!
    DD 6 yrs DS 5 yrs

Bonjour face Damsel Helski

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerpants View Post
    Just a few things to think of and yes, it is really hard to make any sort of money in this game as the effort, time etc. that goes into them rarely gets covered in the price, esp when people say "you're charging how much for a few fairy cakes??"
    my mum makes all the family's birthday, wedding, christening cakes etc and she says the same. She's had many people over the years approach her to make them a cake but she says she can never charge what it's actually cost her. Ingredients fine, but the hours and hours she spends doing all the sugar flowers and flilgree and making it all look perfect, she just doesn't feel she can charge for.

My advice would be to have a standard price for a few basic template cakes that you know you can make easily and cheaply and then charge more for anything bespoke.