Thread: Stinky wicker

Damsel Diva claireh

Stinky wicker

I bought two smallish rectangular wicker baskets with lids for Millie's playroom for storing paints and colouring pens. They absolute honk.

I have sprayed them with febreeze but they still stink. They are so smelly that you can smell them as soon as you walk into the playroom.

Has anyone had this problem with wicker? If so, did the smell go away?

I bought them from Home Sense and they were cheap as chips - 3 each I think. I've got three largish white wicker baskets for toy storage that I bought a while back that are absolutely fine.

The straight forward answer I guess is to take them back but I cba.

Re: Stinky wicker

I had some in the Lakeland sale and they smelt awful and I ended up giving them to charity. Maybe sticking them outside for a bit will help?

Damsel Diva Dink

I hate smells so this would really bother me.

Do you think the material is still wet? If you stick them in the sunshine that might help. Oh, if they have any type of paint or treatment on them maybe sunshine is not a good idea. If that's the case that's probably what stinks.

Can you try washing them in the bath? If that's a really stupid idea please don't laugh at me. I wonder if they were sprayed with something.

Damsel Diva claireh

They definitely don't feel wet. I guess it could be be a coating or treatment as they are painted white.

I think i will try bunging them outside and if that doesn't work i think i will take them back to the shop. They really honk.

Ignoring the rain LibertyGal72

Wicker smells...you can smell it in the shop. I don't mind it too much myself as it settles down after awhile. I like seagrass too - less smelly.

ETA: on the 'ternet: If the wicker is man-made, clean the baskets by creating a paste of baking soda and water. Wipe and rinse. For natural wicker use a damp stiff brush dipped in salt, blow salt off with a hairdryer. If the smell remains you can try stuffing the baskets with 3 day old or older newspaper (the ink from the paper is often effective at absorbing odours).
    Last edited by LibertyGal72; 24-07-2011 at 05:20pm.
    libertygal

Kathy Lette: ...women are each other's human Wonderbras uplifting, supportive and making each other look bigger and better.

We've got a wicker chair from Ikea in each of the girls room.

We bought them about Easter time and they were really noticeably wickery stinky for a while. It's settled down now and you can't really smell it anymore

I thought for a moment you were being rude about people from Wick. They are known as dirty Wickers in Orkney (local rivalry).

D x

Grinchy Old Carp

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I thought for a moment you were being rude about people from Wick. They are known as dirty Wickers in Orkney (local rivalry).

I keep reading the thread title wrong and think it's "Sticky Winker", which is all wrong
    Fifi x

My little lollipop is six years old

Cautiously Optimistic squidgell

I keep reading it as stinky w@nker!
    Themis 06/08
    Danna 11/08
    Mrs Flowers 16/08
    Ladyluck78 18/08
    Dustbin 20/08
    Peony 30/08
    Squidgell 02/09