CRB checks for running children's parties?

I've been half arsed thinking about doing cupcake parties for kids for a while but not really done anything about it. Now I've rejigged my shop I have apace to do it on site rather than trekking to people housesw

I've been checked several times for various reasons over the last few years, including a full all singing all dancing one for a personal alcohol license.

Does anyone know if I would need another CRB check to do run childrens aprties in my shop? Only, I thought I wasn't possible to do a check on yourself.

Thank!

Tea Lady Damsel Booh

Re: CRB checks for running children's parties?

First off, I dont know how you would get one. You cant just ask for one to be done on your self, it always has to be done by an organisation, for example schools do their via Ofsted, Beavers done by Scout association for example, so that the first hurdle

I expect at least one parent would want to stay anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue really TBH

No, I didn't think I could check myself either unless I could do it under my shop iyswim

I'd assume that the birthday child's parents would want to stay at least so I'd never be alone with the kids, although I haven't got room in here for many more than that

I know a few other entertainers who advertise they have CRB checks so I suppose they must have had them done for other things

I've had about 10 done in the last few years, one about 2 weeks ago so I can help at Beaver camp so I have been checked recently

Thanks!

Thanks!

Damsel Diva clowe74

I work in schools and need a different one for each school I work in. Im wondering if the local cuncil would be the place to ask

Just me being me!

I can't get a CRB check for my photography work.

You can't CRB check yourself & you can't CRB check yourself on behalf of your own business (that's the case if self employed anyway).
    CRB checks conducted for one institution/location are not legally transferable. I think if I worked for a franchise they could CRB check me.

Luckily it's never really come up as I make it clear I am not left alone with the children and the parent is responsible at all times. But I know a lot of photographers (possibly fraudulently) claim to be CRB checked. They may have found a loophole, I don't know. I've been list 99 checked (similar) but don't mention it in terms of my photography.

S

TVoR, QoN, etc. redhed

It slightly depends on what you mean by "CRB checked". It's correct that you can't CRB yourself. And it's correct that they aren't technically transferable. But the main reason for that is that each check only reveals to the requester the data they think is relevant to that institution. The chances of eg one school being told you were OK and another being told you were not - if you were working with similar kids of similar ages - is very close to zero. So though places like schools who have to be super-careful won't employ you till the CRB they requested comes through, a lot of people consider a recent CRB from a similar setting to be "good enough" as long as the holder isn't going to be working alone with a child unsupervised. I've done observations in schools and they've asked me "if I had a valid CRB" I told them I've got a CRB check as a school governor of another school and they've let me follow classes around the building unsupervised for one day on the basis of that certificate. Of course if I'd gone for a job there, they wouldn't let me start till my CRB for that specific school was through*. But for one day, just having a CRB, any CRB, was good enough. So possibly some people are saying they are "CRB checked" when they have a certificate for a setting very similar to the current one.

I think the other way round it is to get a 3rd party to request it for you, and then document that you have a valid disclosure. So for instance if I'm looking for a new Carer for DD1, the agency requests the CRB check: they request it once and the candidate can then tell everyone they go to interview with that they have a valid certificate. Is there any trade body that would do that for you? Might you do a party for eg a school or other govt body? Failing that, could you get Beavers to write a letter?

*They generally transfer within LEA but not cross-LEA.
    CHASE children's hospice and Disability Challengers
    Every donation makes a BIG difference to small charities.

As a complete aside, redhead this

I told them I've got a CRB check as a school governor of another school

is a tricky situation for governing bodies. Do a search for CRB on ukgovernors forum.

Anyway...

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger.
    Epictetus

Just me being me!

Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    I think the other way round it is to get a 3rd party to request it for you, and then document that you have a valid disclosure.
    I did ask one of the nurseries about this. They kindly checked it out with the contact who does the CRB checks for their nursery & he said they could do it but it would be fraudulent to cite having a CRB when working elsewhere (such as in other people's homes for my own business). I guess a way round it would be to get a 3rd party CRB check and then state you are CRB checked for a local school (or whatever it is) rather than just saying you have a current CRB check.

It's a bloomin' silly rule that self employed people can't get a CRB or other police check. Most parents expect it nowadays.

Thanks!

I rang the council earlier and they were really helpful actually (they're usually about as much help as a chocolate teapot!)

I don't know if rules have changed or it's just how our council deal with it but,

Apparently, I am allowed to use my previous CRB checks, I have been CRB checked and they wouldn't consider it fraudulent if I were to state "CRB checked" on any advertising.

They're also sending me out some forms to fill in so I can CRB check myself through my shop - Scatterbrain, I've got a number for somewhere that does it for self-employed people, if you still want to get checked, let me know and I'll PM you

Thanks!!

There are a number of umberella companies that you can use to apply for a CRB check when you are self employed.

You can use the following search to find one in your area.

http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/umb...dy_search.aspx

Just me being me!

ooh, maybe it has changed then. I'll look into it again (must admit, it was 2 years ago when I first looked into it).

Just me being me!

How long is a CRB check valid for?

You need to renew your CRB every three years.