Invisable Chell

How much can I withdraw from the counter of a bank/building society?

I need to withdraw cash to buy another car. Some of it is in a Natwest current account and some in a Halifax ISA saving account that I can access at anytime.

Does anyone kow how much I can withdraw over the counter and do I have to give notice? Also, what ID do they usually want?

Thank you!
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Re: How much can I withdraw from the counter of a bank/building society?

I've taken out 11k from a bank without notice but I think it depends on the type of account and the bank. Do you have telephone banking, could you call and check? Or try looking on the website, it might be on there? I don't think I took any particular ID, would only have been my driving licence if I did.

Disorganised Damsel RealGoneKid

The limit depends whether it's a main branch or a smaller one (as they carry less cash). I'd ring to make sure - it's normally 24 hours notice but give as much as you can.

ID is normally your card/book but I'd take passport and proof of address too just to be safe.

Mother of Martians *kate*
    The Halifax have a limit, when I was there the other day there was a sign - I think it was either 1500 or 2000 , certainly no more than that.

Eta - that was without prior notice, and a daily limit - a bankers draft could be issued.

I went into Lloyds TSB with my debit card and asked how to go about withdrawing 3,500 in cash. She did it there and then for me - didn't ask for any further ID. She said "we've got that amount of cash available" so maybe it depends on how much the bank holds at the time, as to how much I'd have been able to withdraw. For larger sums, you might have to give them a bit of notice to "order" the cash in?

Invisable Chell

Super, thanks. It isn't a huge amount of money and is spread over a couple of accounts so it sounds like I should be ok. I know years ago it was a silly amount like 500 from Building Societies.

Doughty Damsel MoominMaiden

Depends on the bank, Skankander would only let me have 500 per day without pre booking it. I ended up in a huge argument with the officious cow behind the counter when she refused to give me my own money I only wanted 1200

3 marks in an ellipsis 1980babe

Quote Originally Posted by MoominMaiden View Post
    I ended up in a huge argument with the officious cow behind the counter when she refused to give me my own money
    Its when they ask you what you are going to do with it.

Doughty Damsel MoominMaiden

Quote Originally Posted by 1980babe View Post
    Its when they ask you what you are going to do with it.
    OMG she did ... then smugly sat back from the counter folded her arms and told me that I might as well forget that idea because she was putting a note on my account that no other branches were to give me any money until i prebooked it ( I had offered to drive to another branch for the rest because they were "short of cash") I nearly spontaneously combusted on the floor

A bland fan of fluff! Fiz

I've had trouble getting cash from a building society, but it was years ago so hopefully they have upped the limits since then. I did point out that there was nothing in the passbook to say that you couldn't get your money out without letting them know. I wasn't asking for thousands, honest! I think they gave me a couple of hundred and we got the rest every bank card we had at the time to withdraw money from the ATM!

The bank, on the other hand, have always handed over money without any problems. It's quite a big branch that a lot of shops use to bank cash so I can't see them using that as an excuse.

Damsel Diva Elvisola

Last Summer when we were having building work done I took out 5000 and 7000 in two separate transactions from Lloyds with no issues at all.

I took all manner of ID but they didn't even ask.

Damsel Diva gemz_scottie

i took out 10K at christmas time, but it was a main branch, brought ID with me too.. had no problems x

Dashing Damsel

Quote Originally Posted by MoominMaiden View Post
    OMG she did ... then smugly sat back from the counter folded her arms and told me that I might as well forget that idea because she was putting a note on my account that no other branches were to give me any money until i prebooked it ( I had offered to drive to another branch for the rest because they were "short of cash") I nearly spontaneously combusted on the floor
    I would have DEMANDED to see her superior!