Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bitsy Von Muffling Chocolate Lips

Reading (book bands) & reception children

I was just wondering if anybody knew what the expectation was for children at the end of reception/entering Year 1 with regard to reading levels.

I know the levels are pink, red, yellow, blue, green, orange, turquoise, purple, gold, white, lime

I realise all children learn at a different rate etc but there must be some kind of minimum level they would expect the majority 4-5 year olds to be reaching before Year 1? (I plan to ask this at the next parents evening but in the meantime...)

Stealth Bragger Minky

Re: Reading (book bands) & reception children

I think the level varies from school to school hon. Our top levels are Gold stars, then silver stars, then lime, so it's not consistent (or have I got that wrong?).

And I think it varies hugely from child to child. I help with reading on a Monday morning. I am amazed at the differences between the children. Some are still very hesitant and not reading fluently. Some are reading amazingly well and can tackle books without pictures.

Sorry, that's not very helpful is it?

They all catch up in the end. Remember, in most countries, they don't even start school til 5 or 6, and they all catch up and usually surpass the reading levels in this country....
    Minky, Big Princess T (16 March 2004) and ickle Princess T (25 July 2007). Feb 2006

I'm not really worried, I think she's doing pretty well, just curious really.

The coloured book bands I mentioned above are a national scheme (just one of a few schemes I think).

I don't even know what the levels are

At DD1's school they have no minimum level- their policy seems to be that all children learn at their own rate, some children in the year are younger etc...

DD1's reading isn't great but her reception teacher said it will "click" suddenly and she'll be away.

I am a woman on a mission Moffgal

CL in our school at parents evening they showed me a list of about 9 levels in various fields. C was a January starter and as such they'd expect him to achieve level 6 and above on most things by the ends of the summer term. that was an average, C did slightly above that.

As regards to reading in general, C was still at the sounding everyword out every time at the end of reception and had a small grasp of letters together creating sounds, eg 'ou' 'th' 'sh'.

The first term in year 1 he seemed to just get it, something clicked and he's progressing so fast I can hardly keep up! Like Minky said the first year or so they're all so different in how quickly they pick things up, then once they've got it there seems to be no stopping them and they all catch up and even out.

"If all the world threw it's problems up into the air, you'd be happy to catch your own

Okay, thanks for that, so basically expectations probably aren't so high at reception level.

Mole-loving Damsel sersha

Slightly different in Scotland I know but Leah's primary two class (6 pupils) range in ability between stages 4 and 7 at the moment. Think the primary ones are all somewhere between stages 1-3.

Stealth Bragger Minky

Lordy CL I would think not. I am sure there was at least 1/3 of the class that were on those level 1 Oxford Reading Tree books: "this is Biff. This is Chip" yada yada yada...

Just me being me!

There's a website somewhere that someone on here linked to for me before (can't remember what but I'll do a search in a min). It compared all the main school books & showed a universal banding for them along with a guideline reading age.

At E's school Reception books were almost universally books without ANY words in them until the final term.

S

Just me being me!

Here you go: http://fds.oup.com/www0.oup.com/ort/.../treechart.pdf

Does this help at all? Remember, it's just a guideline, though.

S

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post

At E's school Reception books were almost universally books without ANY words in them until the final term.
    None?!

CL what is the name of the reading scheme? Those colours sound familiar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by *Fallen Angel* View Post
    It's "Book Bands for Guided Reading".

Just me being me!

None at all...bloomin' stupid. She'd come from a nursery where she could recognise all of her letters and read simple words to a reception class where they started from scratch with letters and in term 2 gave them word cards to leant and these books with no words in them. They claim the idea was to encourage children to use their imagination with the books and that children who can interpret the images as well as reading the words (later on) often read better in the long term.

I wasn't overly impressed with their policy tbh. It just seemed to take her 2 steps backwards and she was so upset that they gave her those books when she'd had books with words at nursery, as if they didn't believe she could read.

S

That does sound crazy to me, especially as most children will be used to books with words from either nursery or home.

Twin Mummy flipflop

Quote Originally Posted by *Fallen Angel* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Lips View Post
    Most schools will have a range of books from various schemes, the book band colours can be applied to all of these schemes - ORT, Ginn Lighthouse, PM, Rigby Star etc etc etc.

This link shows you the colour in relation to NC reading level http://www.medway.gov.uk/educationan...bookbands.aspx

By the end of Y1 the national expectation is that a child can read at Level 1B, so probably about blue level.

eta: Obviously, some won't, and some others will be on much higher levels.

Thanks Flipflop that's really helpful.

Yes, like you say the books come from all the different schemes and are banded into colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Lips View Post
    Ahh ok. Not the same as DD's school then.

Quote Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
    Most schools will have a range of books from various schemes, the book band colours can be applied to all of these schemes - ORT, Ginn Lighthouse, PM, Rigby Star etc etc etc.

This link shows you the colour in relation to NC reading level http://www.medway.gov.uk/educationan...bookbands.aspx

By the end of Y1 the national expectation is that a child can read at Level 1B, so probably about blue level.

eta: Obviously, some won't, and some others will be on much higher levels.
    That's really interesting thanks. Didn't realise that they all followed the same colours, but it does make sense.

Carpe Diem katkinn

H's school do the Oxford Reading Tree, so Biff Chip, The Magic Key etc and by the end of Reception she was on Stage 9.

It did vary hugely though, some of the children were only on Stage 4.

I definitely think reading is one of those things that though that at 4/5 they either really enjoy or they don't. They will get it eventually, it's just that some kids get it sooner, like it more and therefore progress quicker. But I would pretty much guess that by Yr 3 they've all caught up and are much of a muchness?

I think the only thing you can do is encourage and let them work at their own rate. I'm not sure literacy wise but I know that the level at which they were expected to achieve numerically was imho very very low.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast