Damsel Diva *Marti*

Likelyhood of conception with one tube and one ovary on opposite sides...ARs

Hi all,

My friend has a dermoid cyst on her ovary which is causing her great pain, however she would like to concieve in the near future. The doctors are advising she has it removed however she has no tube on the other side due to an earlier eptopic.

Gynaes have told her she can still get pregnant after the operation but she would like it clarified so I was hoping the great damsel experience could help me provide her with some information.

She also doesnt know exactly how fertile she is with the cyst on her ovary at present and they wont refer her for tests as she has 2 children already. My friend is 34 if that helps.

Thanks if anyone can provide some advice.

Re: Likelyhood of conception with one tube and one ovary on opposite sides...ARs

How would the egg travel down? did they mean by IVF or naturally?
    DS born April 2007
    DD born Feb 2010

Totally Shattered Damsel

Re: Likelyhood of conception with one tube and one ovary on opposite sides...ARs

I've had 3 pregnacies with only 1/2 an ovary on one side (tubes are fine as far as I know).

I had to have one ovary and half the other one removed when I was mid-20's due to cysts and was told then it wouldnt affect my changes of concieving.
    =

Damsel Diva *Marti*

Quote Originally Posted by Lilacgirl View Post
    How would the egg travel down? did they mean by IVF or naturally?
    They meant naturally, but this is the stumbling block, it seems impossible!?

Stealth Bragger Minky

I had a dermoid cyst on one of my ovaries, and I've been pregnant three times (one by IVF of course so does that count?).

Someone I knew had only one tube and it was apparently blocked so she had IVF too, got lucky first time, was told it was impossible for her to get pregnant naturally.

she's had two subsequent pregnancies (sadly one miscarriage).

I had my dermoid cyst removed via laparoscope (sp) and it was an easy operation and I had hardly any recovery time.

I would absolutely have it removed if I were your friend. Make sure they take a photo of it, man, those things are WEIRD!
    Minky, Big Princess T (16 March 2004) and ickle Princess T (25 July 2007). Feb 2006

Damsel Diva applejack

Well they told me after my ectopic where they removed my right fallopian tube that if I ovulate from my right ovary the egg will migrate to the left fallopian tube and travel down there. I googled this and it seems to be 10% of the time this is the case. I'm hoping I ovulate equally from both sides or more from my left ovary so I have a better percentage chance each month. I'd say from these statistics that there's a 10% chance each month for your friend that the egg will go to the right place. I don't have a clue how this effects the chances of conception though, aparantly we all only ever have a 20% chance of conceiving each month if we dtd at the right time, and look how many people obviously do get pregnant!

My Mum had an ectopic before she had any of us, so she had three children without problems with just one ovary and tube, but obviously they were the connected ones.

I'd say that if the doctors have told her she should still be able to conceive then that is what they believe. I think sometimes they think not giving all the detailed info can help us not to get bogged down with worry that it might not happen IYSWIM?

29.06.10 (Ectopic)

Damsel Diva *Marti*

thanks all, I will show her your responses and come back with any questions she has.

Damsel Diva shining star

In theory yes you can conceive with an ovary on one side and tube on the other. In fact I saw a programme about a a woman with no tubes (after ectopics on both sides) conceiving naturally, which gave her the shock of her life.

I have no right tube, and tend to ovulate more from the left. I can always feel very strong ovulation pain from the left side, but nothing at all on the right. So if I have a cycle with no pain I assume I'm ovulating on the right. When I conceived, I was convinced that it was 'safe' to dtd because I wasn't ovulating yet and had no pain on my left. It seems I ovulated about four days later and I think it could have been on my right side, because I felt nothing.

I've seen a video of how it works online before - the opening of the tube kind of waves around trying to catch the egg, it's kind of like magnetic forces. So I think that's how the egg from one side can find it's way over to the other.

Damsel Diva *Marti*

thanks, shiny i dont suppose you remember the web link please?

Hello..
    I have 2 ectopic on my right side that they took my right tube but left my right ovary..My left tube and ovary are fine..Since the removal of my right tube in 2008 i became pregnant in early 2009 with a beautiful baby girl later that year..I have once again found myself pregnant and have to have ultra sounds done at 5wks to confirm pregnancy is in correct place..Well yesterday while having the ultra sound the lady told me that i had ovulated from my right ovary...Which i was floored bc i have no right tube..She went on to tell that the body works in strange ways..As well as the surgeon who took my right tube also told me that my right ovary eggs may find its way over to my left tube..