Getting off the bottle at 1yr, I don't understand

Louis was on bottles for aaaages cause he loved them and didn't like food much. But with Lexei he isn't so bothered about milk so I was thinking about maybe changing him to a cup when he was 1 or thereabouts, when he changes to cows milk (I just typed Clown Milk there, ).

Anyway.... at the moment he lies back and I give him his bottle, he doesn't hold it himself or anything. How would that work with a cup? If I gave him it to hold he would no doubt try to climb off me and crawl around or shake it about?

I know its The Advice to get them off bottles but what do they suggest you do? If he's just going to mess about with a cup then whats the point?

AR
    Red xx
    [/url]

Casual Damsel Daisy66

Re: Getting off the bottle at 1yr, I don't understand

I think with our two we changed over to those toddler spouts with handles, but still on the bottle, so they could do it themselves. Not sure how long that went on though.

Can't remember ages for changing to cups properly, to be honest!

Sorry, not much use am I?!
    Mum to dd (age 10) and ds (age 8)

Yes I have bought a couple of those handled spout cups today, but thinking about it, if I put him in charge he'll just piss off and try to climb around the house or shake it to make a fountain like he does when he has a cup like that of water . I'll try, he might surprise me

Abnormal Damsel Mrs B

Neither of mine would ever hold their own bottles til probably 18 months old. If he's happy with it then I see no reason to change unless you/he really wants to. I believe the advice to get rid of bottles is down to teeth formation, but of course we all know lots of people who never had a bottle and had buck teeth, and vice-versa. C still has a bottle btw!

Dashing Damsel Viking Warrior

Well, I've "trained" mine to hold their own bottles lying on the floor or in their beds but then I have two and it's difficult to hold two bottles for wriggly babies and even more difficult to make them understand they have to wait while the other one feeds. I bought some bottles from Tesco with handles and more of a spout type teat, but still made of silicone. I also bought the Tommee Tippee bottles that have a hole in the middle, if that makes sense, like a sports bottle that people use for running. Anyway, they've had them since 6 months and have only gotten reliable at holding own bottles the last month or so.

However, now that they can hold their own bottles, I have no intention of moving them over to cups any time soon . They don't do so well with sippy cups, and would just make a mess. I do, though, take the bottles off them if they mess about with them, and if they want the milk, they calm down and stay put, if they don't want it, well, then they've had enough, I reckon.

I think the fear of bottles after the age of 1 may be slightly exaggerated, like the fear of dummies, all to do with teeth and speech development, but I know for a fact that both I and my 2 brothers had dummies till at least the age of 3 and none of us ever had tooth or speech problems

PissyPantsPosse Petrus

I think that babies/toddlers wean themselves off a bottle of milk, J was around 19-20 months and I think R is just starting too. I realised they were off it when they couldn't drink from it properly, they were/are literally sucking like a straw rather than using the tongue iykwim.
    'You will never find the right one if you can't let go of the wrong one!'

Little man 1/2/06
    Chunk 11/6/09

FAT donna-j

I never bothered. Simple

ETA: Thomas had a bottle at night until he was 3 and a dummy at 4 x 100 and never shuts up. His teeth are lovely.

Damsel Diva claireh

I don't see the need really either. I half heartedly introduced a moo cup (non spill) for M's afternoon nap but tbh she doesn't drink much from it. She gets fed up and falls asleep.

At nighttime she still has a bottle but she drinks the milk pretty quickly so I don't worry about it. I am sure there is something about the bacteria in the baby's mouth doing something to the sugars in milk which makes it really acidic so I think the advice is not to have them sucking from a bottle for a long period of time.

Damsel Diva Katiekipper

I took Ross and Eden's bottles away at 12 months except the bedtime bottle, and I either fed them with a soft spout cup on my lap or they had an anyway up cup so they couldn't spill it.
    Mostly I wasn't bothered by milk after one as they ate god knows how much cheese and yoghurt I just didn't see the need for separate milk.
    Mum to Ross 16, Eden 13 and Beanie (real name Finn) 11 and my 3 angel babies, never forgotten xx

Check out my knit shop!
    http://www.facebook.com/LittleEdenKnits

Damsel Diva Peony

Ava self weaned from bottles at one. We were already using tommy tippee cups for juice etc. so I just put cows milk in those. I was still having to cradle for bottles so she wasn't properly lying down. Having said that she lies down now with TT cups and they don't often spill.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I think that babies/toddlers wean themselves off a bottle of milk,

Louis didn't, it was seriously hard work to get him to stop his bottle at over 2yrs.

I;ll leave it a bit longer

Sorry I had to rush off and rescue baby from balloon attack from big bro there... my main reason for thinking about doing this this time is cause I have Dr Brown bottles and I am sick to death of them, all the bloody parts etc, also we did have a hassle getting Louis off bottles and he still drags it up now, he would still have it in a bottle if we let him

I think I'll wait to see how he gets on doing his own bottle on my knee in the coming months then maybe move to a spouted handled cup thingy then

Thank you damsels!

If he is eating well, then is there a need for him to drink x amount all in one go at bedtime? As an adult I don't sit there and guzzle one drink until I've finished. I drink when I'm thirsty, and put the cup down for a couple of minutes along the way.

I suppose that by that age I view it just like any other drink in the day, so use the cup the same. But following my argument, as an adult I don't wander round climbing on things splashing my drink everywhere - which is what my youngest has a tendency to do

For my first child I continued with a bedtime drink of milk after I stopped feeding him. He had a non-drip cup (before they were frowned upon!) and had it while he sat on my knee for a bedtime story. That stopped him wandering off and helped as a part of the bedtime routine.

ETA: Sorry, you didn't mention bedtime specifically. If he still has bottles at other times of the day when you do the change, then would a story work anyway? It wouldn't be any more work than giving him the bottle and could still help focus him and keep him still for that time.

Well T is 2 1/2 and she stil has her bedtime 'milk' (actually hypoallergenic stuff) in a bottle. She drinks it from a cup for the rest of the day but by bedtime she's tired and a bottle saves on spills. Even if we get the stuff on prescription its still hideously expensive (for the health service) so I'm loath to waste the stuff

Damsel Diva Nicolab

E's still having morning and bedtime bottle in a bottle. I did try and change to a cup but he wasn't interested even though ok with water. As others have said I figure he'll naturally give these up at some point anyway so I'm not worrying about it he only takes about 5 mins to down it so can't imagine his teeth will suffer!

Does anyone know what the actual advice is? I mean surely most babies are not going to sit and drink the x amount of milk they are meant to have from a cup. One of these funny rules

I think the advice is to wean them off a bottle around 1 and to move them to a cup, but, as all the threads show, this is rarely possible.

I've literally just weaned my daughter off the bottle and she's over 2 and a half. She was having 1 in the morning and 1 at night and sometimes, if she was tired or poorly asking for 1 in the day. She is a very independant child yet wouldn't hold her own bottle. She liked the comfort of my lap, a cuddle and a warm bottle.

I've only removed them because I'm due in 8 weeks and don't want to be making bottles for 2 children and didn't want her to resent the baby having 1 when she wasn't.

I've been really lucky in that it's timed itself with her having a cold and a blocked up nose so she couldn't suck anyway so if she still asks I'm saying about her stuffed nose again and she's accepting it. She hasn't had a bottle since Saturday morning now.

She's eating and drinking other fluids SO much better too.

It's done no damage to her teeth from what I can see though. I don't really believe in that theory and neither does my dental friend. Sucking a thumb is actually worse for the teeth.

I went through a little period when she was just 1 of thinking aghhh, get rid of the bottle then I relaxed when I realised lots of babies were still having 1. Do you what you feel comfortable with, makes YOUR life easier!