Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dazzling Damsel

What foods are best to calm an IBS flare up?

I think that's what it is! I do have a bit of a sensitive gut but I've been feeling so rough for a week or two now, nausea and tiredness as well as the bowel probs.

I thought if I kind of detox for a few days I can see if it is diet related or something to go to the GP for.

Thanks

wannabe noo noo

Re: What foods are best to calm an IBS flare up?

Mint tea helps me no end

Dazzling Damsel

Thanks noo noo. I might try that. The only hot drink I can stand is builders tea though so will see how desperate I get first

loved up!!! mummyplus2

I've had this for over a month now too, keeps coming and going and came back last night! OH has got it too, his comes and goes too. I wasn't sure whether it was IBS or whether it was a stubborn bug. Seeing as both OH and I have got it I figured it was a bit coincidental for us both to have IBS? Would be interested to see what could help, I have been avoiding spicy foods!
    Joshua 5 Lana 4 Harvey 4 Tyler 3 Zanna 13.10.10

Damsel Diva Lu Lu

peppermint tea used to help me a bit.

Damsel Diva S-J

Agree, peppermint tea.

Avoid bread and pasta, then flares it up for me.

Damsel Diva Squirt

peppermint tea and Colpermin capsules always help me when I have a flare up . I was diagnosed years ago after an Endoscope investigation among other things .The Consultant told me to stop eating certain foods to find out what the triggers were. Milk and dairy often made it worse but only when having a flare up .

Damsel Diva Solitaire

I'd also try some healthy bacteria stuff - either the yogurts or tablets.

Dazzling Damsel

What foods did he tell you to stop eating Squirt?
    I know that wheat bread doesn't agree with me. Can't eat more than one slice a day without feeling an effect

Think I might have to give peppermint tea a try!!!

Damsel Diva gemz_scottie

i have crohns disease (the whole IBS thing is a sore point for me as i was wrongly diagnosed with it like many others, and by the time i was eventually diagnosed it was too late for me) I find that GP are too quick to diagnose IBS rather than investigate IBD (crohns, colitis etc)..

I found with the nausea that ginger and peppermint tea helped..

depending on whether you have constipation or the skits... you can change your diet to suit. I was constantly going to the loo... so with that i was on a low residue diet which consisted on mashed potato, plain chicken, white rice and soup... i stayed away from high fibre foods as this only aggrevated my stomach and bowels.

xx

Dazzling Damsel

Thanks Gemz,

My prob is that I'm going very often rather than constipation or diarrhoea and got loads of cramps and bloating. So bland easy to digest foods might help then?!

Damsel Diva Squirt

Quote Originally Posted by martha View Post
    What foods did he tell you to stop eating Squirt?

He said I had rule out what was a trigger food for me to keep a food diary etc different things affect sufferers differently . This was over 15 years ago so recent advice may of changed . BTW as there was a huge amount of people in my family with Chrohns they didn't hesitate with sending me for tests . I was actually going to ask have you had a confirmed diagnosis or are you assuming its IBS ?

Cautiously Optimistic squidgell

I'm still being inve
    Themis 06/08
    Danna 11/08
    Mrs Flowers 16/08
    Ladyluck78 18/08
    Dustbin 20/08
    Peony 30/08
    Squidgell 02/09
    crazyinlove 24/09

French Horn Dr Know

probiotics work for me

Damsel Diva Squirt

I meant to add to my last post my dad has Chrohns and he is meant to eat very bland stuff mashed pots , not too much fibre or veg etc . I also echo what Gemz said my dad suffered for a long long time before he was diagnosed he was almost dead before he was diagnosed

French Horn Dr Know

I too agree that an IBS diagnosis is often a cop out. And if you DO have just IBS there's always a reason...

Dazzling Damsel

No, I've never been to the GP about it but I know when my diet is crap, too much white bread, sugar, I suffer for it. I've def got a nervous tummy too and I've had a lot of stress recently.

I will def ask about it if it doesn't improve.

Probiotic drinks always help me when I'm having a flair up
    L is 6
    B is 4

cut back on fruit and veg - all the healthy stuff basically, and stick to simple carbs like pots, also reduce dairy speciically milk

colpermin are a godsend - take 2 but you must not eat for at least an hour either side because otherwise they start to digest befor getting to the gut, then just take 1 very 4-6 hrs or 2 if it;s still really bad

helps my cramps and bloating no end and does help settle it all down

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Know View Post
    I too agree that an IBS diagnosis is often a cop out. And if you DO have just IBS there's always a reason...
    I'm finding that. I was easily diagnosed with IBS and it seems not to be the case.

I think the most common triggers are tomatos, garlic, onions, bread, pasta and dairy. I tend not to have dairy (apart from eggs and cheese as I don't eat much meat so want to know I am getting some good protein) and have soya milk in tea and soya yogurts.

I am currently excluding wheat and you can get some good like for like products in the supermarkets now.

I don't take Colpermin as it has peanut oil in and I am allergic to it. I found Boots do a peppermint capsule, you take it once a day and it has a higher concentrate of peppermint oil it in but without the peanut oil. You can get them on 3 for 2 so it works out cheaper than Colpermin

Peppermint tea is great, you can also get peppermint oil to go in hot water, I get Colofac on prescription for when it is really bad but think you can get this otc now.

Hope you feel better soon x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast