. Help! Things to do with a 2 year old who has a broken leg and a cast!!

B managed to break her leg last week I didn't see exactly what happened but we were at soft play and she fell off a roller for what I can piece together, cue a trip to A&E and her leg being put in a full plaster cast the next morning She mustn't put any weight on it at all.

She has coped with it pretty well so far but is starting to get really bored of just sitting and watching TV or puzzles/drawing. Taking her out is difficult though as there isn't much she can actually do! Any good ideas? She could potentially be in plaster for a month!

Also, clothes? She's been wearing skirts as the weather has been nice but now we are getting back to rain and cold it's a bit more difficult as her jeans/trousers obviously don't fit!

Poor bubba
    L is 6
    B is 4

Re: Help! Things to do with a 2 year old who has a broken leg and a cast!!

Poor little thing, I feel your pain. Dd was in a broomstick plaster at that age and I know its so hard. We used to sit her on a beanbag and put a tray on her lap and do stuff on the tray. Puzzles, playdough, cutting and sticking etc. Stuff like aquadraw will help too. I'd take her to places like the library where she could drag her cast round and the floors are reasonably clean. And get out every da, will keep you both sane.

Hope the weeks pass quickly!

Oh the poor little thing!!

I was just looking at the Baby Centre website, and there are some really good arty/crafty type suggestions at: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/preschooler/lets-play (I quite fancy the lava lamps!)

Damsel Diva

Oh no, poor Becca
    - 30/01/07
    - 04/06/11

Mother of Martians *kate*

Poor B :(

What about things like bus/train rides? Looking out of the window might hold her attention for a while and it means you're getting out and about every day but she doesn't "need" to do anything.

Inside - would she sit in a high chair and help you cook? Or what about a roll of wallpaper on the floor for drawing big pics/hand prints? A set of skittles?

Poor Becca, hope it heals soon!!

Make Do and Mend Damsel silverpod

I'm so sorry, it's a crap thing to happen. My DS broke his leg in Feb this year and we coped but when I think back to those days I really don't know how we did it!

Are you able to use a pushchair, I fashioned a cushion under his leg so that it was more comfortable at first. And you can hire child wheelchairs from the local red cross (but you will probably find a pushchair easier if it works for you).

Looking back, DS's needs changed almost daily so don't think that it will be like this for 4-6 weeks. He soon started bum shuffling around (needing the tv remote helped :lol) and after a while he was also standing and walking on it.

I got together a box of things he could do on the sofa before he was bum shuffling, but then he pretty much did most things. I also took him to a few groups but had to carry him and watch him a lot more, more to protect other children tripping over him! If nothing else, get out and get some sympathy from the older generation in shops!

For clothes, we went down the elastic waist route (as he was just potty training when we started too ) and went up a size, so if you have some stuff left over from DD1 look through that. You may find it easier to cut some clothing, DS wanted his 'cast out', so we wore joggers bunched up.

And look after yourself too, it is hard hard work, esp with another one to attend too. It will be a hard month but it does pass and it won't ever be as hard as the last few days have been (well I lie, the first 48 hours after the cast comes off it will feel as if you're back at square 1 but that's a while away and reletively short lived). Keep smiling and eat cake.
    Been busy and got the start of a big clear out on ebay. Please take a look - it's like an Aladdin's cave!

Abnormal Damsel Mrs B

Poor wee thing, hope it heals quickly.

Only thought about the clothes is to buy a few pairs of cheap tights and cut one leg off, then stick a funky sock on her toes? She can still wear her winter skirts then.

SMOO

Good idea re: tights Mrs B!

If you don't want to chop any of L's up, I've got some that have been meaning to make their way to the charity shop for months!

eta - I am notoriously RUBBISH at remembering to look at threads again, so if you're interested text me xx

Some great ideas - thanks ladies!! Its such a shock tbh, you never think they can seriously hurt themselves at soft play!!!

Chickpea - thanks so much for the offer hun. After her xray on thursday I will have more of an idea of how long the plaster will be on for and if it's gonna be a while I will definately text and come grab the clothes, there isn't really much of L's old stuff that I want to cut up/stretch completely!

Nicky Choops Chicky Noops

Fin was in a full leg over Xmas as he broke his thigh bone at soft play! I'm not going to lie, the first week or so was hard work but by weeks 2 and 3 he was bum-shuffling around and eventually hobbling so this initial stage will be the most difficult whilst you get used to the pot.

I used to strap Fin into a buggy and get out for an hours everyday just for fresh air / change of scenery. Other than DVDs / sticker books / colouring, there wasn't a lot we could do. We did have lots of visitors which I appreciated..

Fin was in pot for 7 weeks and he is still very proud of his pot and talks about it / looks at pictures so it is probably harder for us than them as they adapt so quickly.

Nicky Choops Chicky Noops

Re: clothes - we went to Primark and bought PJs / jogging bottoms in larger sizes.

Damsel Diva

Sorry to hear she's hurt herself
    I've got a pair of babylegs, pm me your address if you think they could be of any help & I'll send them for donation to Camilles appeal. Might keep her un-casted leg warm?

Damsel Diva

R broke her leg at nearly 3. How is she with long walks in a pushchair? Also, once they have the permanent cast on (the hard one), it is a bit easier and they get a bit more mobile.