Can I use anything instead of light muscovado?

I really want to make a carrot cake tonight but I don't have any light muscovado, are there any other sugars I can use instead? I don't mind if its not exactly the same, as long as it works and is not yuck

Red xx
    [/url]

Re: Can I use anything instead of light muscovado?

I'd just used normal caster sugar (unrefined if you've got it or normal white will be fine).

Abnormal Damsel Mrs B

I would use brown (of any sort) if you have it, if not then white should be OK - am prepared to stand corrected on that though!

OK thanks, I might do a combo so I can still get the brown sugar taste, wish me luck

On our way 2 the USA suemarie

I have used golden caster sugar before in cake ingredients aswell as muscovado for coffee & walnut cakes, down to white caster sugar & all the cakes have come out fine.

Damsel Diva claireh

I was going to suggest any sugar too!

Carpe Diem katkinn

I'd have chucked in any old sugar bar icing (but then I'm the same with my flour - I'm not sure I can see any difference in my cakes when I use SR or plain - obviously adding Baking powder )

Lactivist clementinexyz

Radical Kat

I'd do as mrs b suggests.

Invisable Chell

I've used granulated white sugar in place of various types of brown sugar and it has always been fine.
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Stealth Bragger Minky

I use a mixture of brown and white sugar when I'm making my smarties cookies and it seems to work well.

I'm with Katkinn on the flour thing. I don't bother having SR Flour in my cupboard, waste of time. I use a ratio of 1 tsp baking powder to 1 cup of flour and it all seems to work ok!
    Minky, Big Princess T (16 March 2004) and ickle Princess T (25 July 2007). Feb 2006

Carpe Diem katkinn

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    I'm with Katkinn on the flour thing. I don't bother having SR Flour in my cupboard, waste of time. I use a ratio of 1 tsp baking powder to 1 cup of flour and it all seems to work ok!
    ooh do you know though, I've used SR flour in your choc cake twice in the last week (plus i've still added a tsp ish plus - I'm not that careful with it - of BP) and I've had no cracking

Stealth Bragger Minky

Now that IS interesting.

I actually emailed the Easy Living Experts about the cracking (lord I'm sad) and here's what he said:

As someone who has just finished writing and testing 220 recipes for a baking book, I understand your frustration. But sadly there isn’t much you can do about it.
    Ordinarily I would say to check your measurements and tin size and oven temperature.. but it sounds like you have been through all these stages.
    The reason cakes crack in the centre is often a little too much raising agent and an oven that is too hot…. What happens is that the cake rises quickly in a too hot oven and then the crack in the top never recovers.
    I think that you may just have to grin and bear it… and hopefully the easiness and deliciousness of the cake recipe will out-weigh the stress of the crack. I always think that a cake with a crack makes it look homemade…which is a nice thing.
    I have tried using level teaspoons of BP in the cake and reducing the temp, as I know my oven is hot, but will try tweaking it again...

Very interesting! So you've done 2 Cups SR flour plus 1 tsp BP? Which would be 3 tsps BP in my reckoning.... hmmm....