Counting Down Damsel brewgirl

. anyone else with only one ovary and fallopian tube?

Just wondered how you got on in terms of periods and period pain? Am gonna give the pill a rest maybe permanently but just wondered about others experiences.

Damsel Diva mrsdunny207

Re: anyone else with only one ovary and fallopian tube?

Me... I have a bicornuate uterus so only have one working ovary and tube, the other side didn't develop properly.

I haven't been on the pill for years though. My periods are def more painful and heavier post kids than they were but are in general fine really. I do get quite distinct ovulation pain but no real period pains as such when AF arrives.

From a contraception point of view I think I'm going to get an implant.

Anything else you need to know??

Damsel Diva shining star

I have two ovaries, but only one tube, so I don't know if I can help?

I did find that I get worse ovulation pain since having the tube removed. My periods are fairly light and barely any pain, if anything I would say I get less cramps than I used to. From what I've read, I believe that your remaining ovary would take over now and you would be likely to ovulate from that side most of the time, rather than it being one month on, one month off iyswim?

I just read your other thread now, so sorry to hear what you've gone through I had an ectopic and it had stuck itself to my bowels too, not a pleasant experience

ss
    xx

Thanks ladies.
    Was wondering how often i would get periods.My cycles are long and irregular naturally anyway.

When i feel up to it i will research contraception- i want to find out about pill versus implant/ injection and if any are less likely to cause cysts (i know that there are other causes of cysts but registrar said the pill was the most likely cause of mine)

xx

Damsel Diva mrsdunny207

I replied to this thread before I saw your other one - hope you are doing ok.

It's probably different for me because I've only ever had one but I get AF every month and *think* I ovulate every month from the same ovary...

hope you feel better soon.

I don't know for sure but I have suspected endometriosis and was told, after external and internal scans, that basically one side looked fine, and the other looked like it was all stuck and not probably not working.
    It does make sense as I always seem to ovulate from the working side and it's got more and more painful over the years (a friend with mine with one ovary was told this was common as you can get more cysts and things as the working ovary has to work so hard).

I've always had heavy and painful periods (less so since Zach) but I guess that's because of the endo.
    DS born April 2007
    DD born Feb 2010

Totally Shattered Damsel

I've only one ovary and about a 1/4 of another since having cysts removed about 15 years ago (how the hell I ever got pregnant 3 times is a miracle!!!).

I found it made no difference to my periods at all.
    =

It seems odd to think that your chances of getting preg arent diminished with only one ovary but apparently they arent according to the surgeon i had. She said its stll almost as likely to be able to conceive with one ovary as with 2. I would have thought the chances would be lower.

Wearer of tin foil pants Celeste

I only have one fallopian tube.

My periods are regular but they are horrendous but I think thats just me

Damsel Diva shining star

I think the body just knows that it's only got the one now, so it does the same job that used to be shared between 2 ovaries. If I remember correctly, ovulation is triggered by the build up of a certain hormone, which causes the egg to be released. When there's two ovaries, the egg is released from whichever follicle is mature first.......so if there's only one, it must just release from there every time because there isn't a second one in 'competition' with it. That's my theory anyway!

I wonder if you actually have more chance of conception with one ovary and tube, than you do with two ovaries and one tube

Did you have a laparoscopy?

I have only ever had one to so don't have before and after experiences, sorry. I also have 3 children so it didn't effect fertility in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by shining star View Post
    Did you have a laparoscopy?
    They did a laporoscopy to have a look and then when it was evident that the cyst had twisted and my ovary was dead etc they made a 5 inch cut along my bikinline and removed it all. They did all this in one go before waking me up.I had given my permission beforehand for themto do this if it was necessary.