MsNat

Downstairs Cloakroom or Store Room ?

We've got a small cloakroom downstairs with a toilet and wash basin. It's a conversion that was done by the previous owners and it's tiny.

Since having Nat and Will it has hardly ever been used as a toilet, but more of a storeroom. At the moment it has two folded up prams, a car seat and a shelf unit with shoes, boots, hats, coats and changing bag on it .

Now this is my dilema - OH said he will happily rip out the fittings, decorate it and have it as storage but as we are thinking of moving in the next two years, I'm not sure.

Wouldn't a downstairs additional toilet add more value ?

What would you prefer - additional storage or the luxury of not having to rush upstairs to do a wee ?

Smugger than Smug

Re: Downstairs Cloakroom or Store Room ?

I don't know if they add value but I would not buy a house without a downstairs cloakroom.

Mother of Martians *kate*

We had this dilemma a few years ago, especially as we have two upstairs bathrooms both with bath and shower,but we were advised to keep the downstairs bathroom to add value to the house should we ever want to sell.

So we replaced the fittings etc, and found a different place to store our crap. As the kids get older it's miles easier to have a downstairs loo anyway. I never use it, too frightened someone will come in the front door when I'm weeing!

Carpe Diem katkinn

They definitely add more value.

I agree that they can be a pita when it's just an extra 20 yards to dash upstairs (well it is in our house anyway!!) but people love them

If I was you, I'd use it as a store room for now if that's what you want but I wouldn't rip it out (unless you fancy putting it back in )

katkinn
    xxxx

Bitsy Von Muffling Chocolate Lips

I love my downstairs loo, wouldn't buy a house without one I am far too lazy to be running upstairs all day. Also means that I can leave Isabel romping around on the floor whilst I have a pee.

MsNat

Quote Originally Posted by katkinn
    If I was you, I'd use it as a store room for now if that's what you want but I wouldn't rip it out (unless you fancy putting it back in )
    Now that's the logical thing to do but it just looks so skanky at the moment I've got the toilet seat down and the spare car seat perched on top of it, the prams next to it and then the shelf unit along the wall

I keep the door closed all the time but it annoys me knowing what a mess it is in there

It probably is a good selling point as none of my neighbours have anything similar but then again, does that me that a buyer won't be expecting it so won't miss it

Carpe Diem katkinn

I am far too lazy to be running upstairs all day.
    ah now you see I ALWAYS go upstairs to the loo even though we have one downstairs as I see it as exercise...... (yup even at 9 months pg - feck I need help )

It probably is a good selling point as none of my neighbours have anything similar but then again, does that me that a buyer won't be expecting it so won't miss it
    But you may well get a premium for it.......... so you'd be ripping something out that would probably add £5k plus to the value of your house....

Snorks 6, Mr Baby 3! parkejm

I too would leave it in as I think it's a big selling point. I know that it bugs you, but I think it adds a lot of value

janice
    xx Hermie xx
    xx Snorks xx
    xx Mr Baby xx

Mummy of 2 now :-)

I thought a downstairs loo added value onto the property and not only that they are sooooo handy to have!!! Im so pleased that we have finally sorted ours out and cleared it 16 months after moving into our house...... It so much more handier to use that than run up to the upstairs one and now when people come over they use that instead of the loo upstairs which means they dont have to trapse though the house

I know what you mean though about the storage side, and having places to put things, ive been lucky in that we have a cupboard next to the loo to be able to do this and put things in, if it wasnt there i know it would drive me mad

Another vote for leaving the cloakroom. I wouldn't consider a house without a downstairs loo.....

Damsel Diva clowe74

I would kill for a toilet downstairs. It must be so easier especially with kids.

Has ponies needs peacocks Sonriendo

Quote Originally Posted by *kate*
    I never use it, too frightened someone will come in the front door when I'm weeing!
    You're meant to shut the door

Mother of Martians *kate*

Nobody ever shuts the loo doors in here - none of our bathrooms have locks either! No wonder no one ever wants to stay

am truly blessed funky_totts

I would agree with the others and say leave it

Twin Mummy flipflop

Downstairs loos do add value, keep it if you are planning to move in the forseeable future.