30-something Damsel bubbasweet

Cooking Christmas dinner without an oven?

I'm going to a centre parcs in France with dh and my family for Christmas, but they only have a hob, microwave and a bbq as cooking facilities in the villas so feck knows how we're going to do a Christmas dinner!

What would you do? My mum is on about doing something different altogether, like a casserole, but that just doesn't seem christmassy enough to me DH and I have a camping fridge we can plug into a gas bottle, so we could pre-cook the turkey and take it with us in the car

What about the rest of it though? What would you do?

Grinchy Old Carp

Re: Cooking Christmas dinner without an oven?

I'm not sure about the turkey (would you be heating it up in the micro-wave?) but you could do little saute potatoes on the hob and all the veg would be fine. And sauces. Have you had a look at eg Jamie Oliver because I bet he has some ways of cooking a chicken or something on the BBQ
    Fifi x

My little lollipop is six years old

Ginger rules

I cooked a full chicken Sunday dinner with just a microwave (when I had my first house and couldn't afford a cooker!), so it should be possible.

A full turkey probably wouldn't fit so you could either do a chicken, possibly a turkey crown or even precook it as you suggested. Veg is easy on the hob (a tiered steamer would allow variety wihtout using too many rings), a cold starter, Christmas pud in the microwave. Sausage and bacon rolls might be a bit tricky but you could fry them on the hob. Not sure about roast veg?

Bop

30-something Damsel bubbasweet

The turkey I was thinking we could carve up and warm it through in a giant vat of gravy!

Damsel Diva Bert2e

Does it have to be turkey?

How about beef or lamb on the BBQ?

Slow cooker. Won't fit a whole turkey but will fit smaller bits.

Proud to be a Dave! nickimacrae

Or if you have a large slow cooker you'd def get a large chicken in it And not that big to take with you if youre in a car?

We did a Christmas Dinner on the bbq once, it was great fun in the snow

Turkey is easy done on the bbq, we did beer can turkey and it was so yummy and moist. I don't have the recipe but you'll be able to google for the idea and timings etc.

The potato parcels in foil are easy and you can do the same with sprouts etc.

Chipolatas and bacon obviously work as well on the bbq they're my favourite bit!

Red xx
    [/url]

Doesn't give a *!* Damsel DillyDally

Quote Originally Posted by bubbasweet View Post
    The turkey I was thinking we could carve up and warm it through in a giant vat of gravy!
    That's what I would do
    Dilly xx

Clean Sweep - my decluttering and home organisation blog.
    Don't save things for best - make every day your best day.