Damsel Diva Squirt

Tell me how to do big puffy Yorkshire puddings !

I made my first homemade Toad in the hole tonight . This one http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...ion-gravy.html

The roasted onion gravy was TDF the toad in the hole could of done with more batter mixture to sausage IYKWIM . The batter was not as puffy as I like but still delish .

I seem to remember that in the past when I have had homemade Yorkies they are massive and well risen . This one was not :happynot:

I used full fat milk BTW as the only alternative was skimmed .

Mother of Martians *kate*

Re: Tell me how to do big puffy Yorkshire puddings !

Use Nigella's recipe from Domestic Goddess. I have never ever had YP success until I tried those, they hit the roof of the oven.

eta - it's a back to front recipe, you add one ingredient the wrong way, can't remember which!

eta again - I lied, it's in How to Eat - Jane Grigson's chinese Yorkshire pudding recipe.
    Last edited by *kate*; 24-10-2009 at 07:16pm.

The girl's a gorgeous one Lady M's Mummy

I use equal volumes of egg, milk and flour and always leave to rest in the fridge. So long as you pour the batter into hot hot fat mine have always risen

Damsel Diva Squirt

Quote Originally Posted by *kate* View Post
    Use Nigella's recipe from Domestic Goddess. I have never ever had YP success until I tried those, they hit the roof of the oven.

eta - it's a back to front recipe, you add one ingredient the wrong way, can't remember which!

Err Kate if I follow the way it is in the book will it be ok ? I do actually have that book . I 'm not sure what you mean by back to front , is it a typo in the actual book?

LMM thanks hun another variation I can see myself doing an experiment here !

From a true yorkshire lass a recipe that's been passed from generation to generation.

One cup of Plain flour
    Pinch of salt (well just a bit more than a pinch)
    3 eggs
    Cup of milk (I use semi skimmed)
    Cup of water (the knack to this is to add so much at a time until the middle of the batter is thin and you don't necessarily need all of it)

Stir,stir and stir again. Leave to stand for about 2 hours before wanting to cook your puds.

Make sure that you use lard in your tins, put the tins in the oven on full heat until lard melts. Then pour your batter over the top and stick in the oven for about 20 minutes. Depending on your oven, I have to turn mine down half way through after the puds have risen. Mum doesn't need to do this with hers though so keep an eye on them.

Hmmm I'm getting really hungry now!

It's on page 281/2 of How to Eat!

Damsel Diva Squirt

Damn it I don't have how to eat ....off to google .

Invisable Chell

I use Asda Smartprice mix.
    DS July 2003, DD1 January 2005, DD2 August 2008

Damsel Diva Squirt

Oh thanks KAte I didn't much success finding it myself. I take it you don't add the tsp of thai luk ?
    Thanks for that x 100 will make these with the next roast dinner we have .

Chell hey if it works for you , I just wanted a great recipe that would probably be cheaper than constantly buying those packets .

Thanks everyone I will print all your recipes out till I find the best one

Damsel Diva *Marti*

Whisk between all stages, keep the air in, and pour them in to bubbling fat. Dont think the recipe will make much difference, think those are the most important things.

Damsel Diva Oana

I've always followed the one in Jamie Olivers Ministry of Food and they've always come out really big and puffy. I think the key is hot oil and DO NOT open the oven door even once to sneak a peek!

Damsel Diva Squirt

Kate just popped on to say that Yorkshire pudding recipe rocks we've just had it for tea .

accommodating & compliant nattylou

I put in an extra egg yolk, just one, and just the yolk. Don't know where I got the idea from, I can't remember, but it certainly works for me.

FACT: Heat makes objects expand...So there you have it, I'm not overweight, I'm just overheated!

it's the only one ever worked for me (which is bizarre really, because it's all the same ingredients!)

Quote Originally Posted by *kate* View Post

eta again - I lied, it's in How to Eat - Jane Grigson's chinese Yorkshire pudding recipe.
    Best recipe ever! They come out sky high
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishes View Post

He's so bloody perfect except for his giant penis!