Disorganised Damsel RealGoneKid

How expensive is it to have curtains made?

The question is in the title really.

Does anyone have any experience of having curtains made? How expensive is it and how long does it take?

TIA
    RGK

Re: How expensive is it to have curtains made?

Depends where you go, but very expensive is my experience! There was a thread about it a little while back I think.

It also depends on what sort of material you go for, whether you want lined/interlined and how long the curtains you need are!

I would also imagine it depends where you are! I am in London, and got lined full length curtains made for two big bay windows from a local interior design shop. The cost of getting the curtains made was c. 600 a pair for materials and labour (we chose polyester silk and a heavy weight cotton) but we also paid extra for curtain poles and to have someone come and measure the windows and then come and fit and hang the curtains for us (which was well worth it as MrFP is a useless at DIY and if we were paying that much for curtains I wanted them to be right and put up properly!)

Sorry - forgot to say how long it took, but ours was a slightly different case as the owner of the shop was diagnosed with cancer whilst they were being made, and as it was a small local business everything was put on hold for a bit, so around 3 months, but I would imagine that would be very unusual!

Doughty Damsel Supercali

I had 2 lots of curtains made by Dunelm and they were very reasonable. I think about 40 and 60 and they were lined. They were for short cottage windows but one was a bay!

Took about 2 weeks.

Got husband, need wife! Dr Spouse
    In my mad scientist laboratory, getting children to do difficult things

If you want basic curtains and have a sewing machine (i.e. just simple gathers at the top) I'd say make them yourself.

If you want something really fancy and professional-looking, then often fabric shops will have names of independent sewing people who can do this kind of thing.

Damsel Diva Matilde

VERY expensive

Depends on the fabric you choose (20 a metre is kind of average, you can find bargains and end of rolls for abuot 10-15 and then the world is your oyster but nice linens and prints can be 50 quid + a metre. Remember a biggish bay window can need easily 20+ metres and start adding up), do you want them lined? (yes!) interlined? (hang better, good for insulation), black out lined (for your bedroom yes!) do you want trimmings? like cute little tassels? add 100+, a pelmet? a track? a brass rod? can you hang them yourself or call someone? plus labour add add add money.

I've just paid 1200 for the sitting room ones and I am actually quite pissed off but kinda pleased at the same time.

If you like silk I know a cheap place to buy in bulk, but very limited choice of colours.
    Damisela

My rates are 35 per width machine made, 45 per width hand made lined, 55 per width handmade interlined. That's labour only.

You really do get what you pay for. If you go to Dunelm you will pay less because the make will be of less quality.

HTH x

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted Wonderful View Post
    My rates are 35 per width machine made, 45 per width hand made lined, 55 per width handmade interlined. That's labour only.
    I always wondered if these rates that are quoted take into account extra wide windows? What if you needed to join fabric for wider windows... would that still count as one width iyswim?!

Damsel Diva TopStar

VERY!

My brothers spent about 500 to get it done by Debenhams, 5yrs ago and then moved out a year later! It was good quality and well made but very expensive. They could have got a nice one for less than half price.

June 2011 Mummies

Oana 12 June 2011
    Potage 15 June 2011
    Sarah Louise *Awaiting date*

Got husband, need wife! Dr Spouse
    In my mad scientist laboratory, getting children to do difficult things

I think Chant's rates sound pretty reasonable, given what other places charge!

One of the biggest costs tends to be on the fabric, if you have a huge window and want silk then you can just write a blank cheque, but if it's a smaller window or you are willing to shop around it can be a bit more reasonable. You can often get branded fabric on ebay, or sometimes elsewhere online; if you just want something pretty or cheap and cheerful then sometimes the market will be good.

I bought an entire roll of blackout/thermal (just thermal I think but the option of both was there) from ebay and that was about the right amount for doing a bay and another window in our main sitting room, plus the v. small window in our bedroom. The fabric in the sitting room was from Ikea and the fabric in the bedroom I think from a market yonks ago - it's just a green floral but kind of Sanderson-esque.

The curtains in our dining room are secondhand velvet ones I bought from ebay. That is always another option - they are clearly second hand but look quite nice and just kind of go with the room as it has Victorian tiling on the floor.

Ditzy Damsel seashell

My DH owns his own soft furnishings high street shop and retails fabrics from 1.99 per metre to 49.99 per metre and labour charges are 18.95 for machine lined pencil pleat curtains and 34.99 for handlined. So it really depends on where you go. He thinks this is reasonable rates for a quality make up.

I paid over 2000 for our lounge curtains from JL. At the time for various reasons (pg related) I simply wasn't going there is a new house.

Recently though for the new conservatory and patio doors, I bought some lovely curtains from Dunelm Mill, Next and Ikea and I took them up etc myself by hand.

Personally I wouldn't 'waste' that sort money again. I do know local people now and I would have asked someone to make them locally next time or do them myself. A sewing machine is a 100 or so and it more then covers the outlay to buy some curtains and do them up.

Damsel Diva applejack

We had DD's bedroom curtains made, I bought the fabric from the market and got the lady to make them up. I think she charged 35, it took about a week.

29.06.10 (Ectopic)

By 'per width' i mean per width of cloth. So if there was one and a half widths of cloth per curtain, ie 3 widths over a pair of curtains, then i would charge 35 x 3.

Twin Mummy flipflop

I have been quoted 400 for the making of curtains for a bay window.
    Fabric, the pole and fitting would all be extra.

Quote Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
    I have been quoted 400 for the making of curtains for a bay window.
    Fabric, the pole and fitting would all be extra.
    So she is charging 400 just for labour?

Disorganised Damsel RealGoneKid

Thanks very much girls That's really interesting. We're moving in to our new house this week and the two main bedrooms (ours and E's) have two windows which are completely different widths They aren't particularly wide (26in and 47in) but just different widths. Having curtains made is the only way I can think of to get curtains that look right IYSWIM.

Twin Mummy flipflop

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie May View Post
    So she is charging 400 just for labour?
    Yep. This is a fabric shop rather than an individual, but I am going to get other quotes. It includes the lining and interlining but they can't be very expensive can they?

eta - actually BM, or anyone else, how long do you think it would take to make curtains for a big bay window? Just so I can guestimate what they are charging per hour to make. It will be a patterned fabric, but I can't remember the reapeat off the top of my head. It's a Harlequin one.
    Last edited by flipflop; 15-06-2009 at 08:59pm.