Damsel Diva

. Hayfever or a cold? How can you tell??

I've got a bunged up nose and am sneezing about a million times a day/night and every time I do my left eye streams. I've had episodes like this in the past but have never noticed a pattern in terms of time of year or anything. Anyway, I was moaning about it earlier to a colleague and he fell about laughing saying I say the same thing every year and so it's obviously hay fever So how the hell do you know? I mean, if you're only reacting to one type of pollen that might only be around for a week or two each year, how do you know that's what it is and not just a random cold?? Both the kids have mild 'colds' at the moment and coughs, so have they got hayfever or just colds??
    to go to first goal

Slack Mummy myzzterri

Re: Hayfever or a cold? How can you tell??

having googled it myself, the basic answer that if it lasts longer than a week or 2 it's hayfever...

also, (tmi) if the snot is clear, colourless & runny as opposed to yellowy/green, then it's hayfever....

I'm not really sure tbh. I have sniffles all year around but particularly in the summer. The old ppl I work with think I'm very poorly but it's hayferver in the summer. But I do have really bad sneezing fits all year around but I have a lot of allergies. You should try taking some anti hayfever tabs and see if it makes a difference. If it's not hayfever it'll not do you any harm iyswim
    Mummy to Felicity Aged 6 and Heidi Aged 4!!!

After thy loving kindness Lord have mercy upon me, for thy compassions great blot out all mine iniquities Psalm 51

Housework Dodging Damsel Rosebud

Up until last night i thought my hayfever was really bad, then i got a sore throat and a temp so now i think i have a cold as well as hayfever, great!

I agree that you could try antihistamines and if they don't help then it is probably a cold.

TVoR, QoN, etc. redhed

When I first got hay fever, I was working for the National Institute for Medical Research. So was in an "experimental" frame of mind.

I wandered outside, got a bit of grass pollen from the meadows, and sniffed it up one nostril. Within 10 mins, that nostril was streaming and the other was fine. Definitely hay fever.

Good job humans have two nostrils, really. The experiment wouldn't have been anywhere near so easy without a "control" nostril!
    CHASE children's hospice and Disability Challengers
    Every donation makes a BIG difference to small charities.

Damsel Diva

Quote Originally Posted by myzzterri View Post
    having googled it myself, the basic answer that if it lasts longer than a week or 2 it's hayfever...

also, (tmi) if the snot is clear, colourless & runny as opposed to yellowy/green, then it's hayfever....
    Really??? I must have it a lot then, as I only ever have yucky (ie non-clear) snot when my sinuses are killing

Redhed that's fantastic - love the idea of a control nostril

Might try some piriton tonight then. If nothing else it should knock me out a bit which would be useful

Grinchy Old Carp

Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    Good job humans have two nostrils, really. The experiment wouldn't have been anywhere near so easy without a "control" nostril!
    PMSL I suppose the control nostril will then act as an "auxiliary" whilst the trial nostril recovers from the experiment
    Fifi x

My little lollipop is six years old

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Might try some piriton tonight then. If nothing else it should knock me out a bit which would be useful
    TBH that's how I do proceed! I take antihistamines and if the "thing" goes away, it's hayfever. If it doesn't, it's a cold.