Key Stage 2 (Year 3) - Maths "levels"?

Is there anywhere online where I can find the syllabus laid out for me? At parents evening I was briefly shown a page explaining the levels they work through. DS is stuck on level 2C and he should now be on 3A (or does is go 2A then to 3C... got a bit confused!). I thought I had a copy of this at home but it seems not and his math's teacher is a bit of a misery so if I can find it myself so much the better! I think the level he is stuck at included such things as 2D and 3D shapes.

Damsel Diva Oana

Re: Key Stage 2 (Year 3) - Maths "levels"?

I used to use BBC Kids Revision site and this http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/key-sta...ge2/index.aspx
    Not sure if they're still as helpful though

The levels go 2c then 2b, 2a onto 3c, 3b, 3a etc

ETA Just to say that is exactly where my daughter got stuck with her maths, we ended up getting her some private tuition and a couple of years later she was coming out top in the year group

Make Do and Mend Damsel silverpod

It does go 2c, 2b and then 2a before 3c, or at least it used to

At the end of year 2 they are expected to be a 2b, I wouldn't say in year 3 at this point they would be a 3a unless of course the progress has slowed for them personally (if that makes sense).

It should be online somewhere, I'll try and find it.
    Been busy and got the start of a big clear out on ebay. Please take a look - it's like an Aladdin's cave!

Damsel Diva

IS there anything of any use on here:

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/

found that via this school, which seems really clued-up on helping parents/kids:
    http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/SATS.html#do
    to go to first goal

Is this it? (the download)

http://nationalstrategies.standards.....uk/node/64668

This has level 2 and 3 so you can see what parts he's able to do.

Thanks ladies... will search those links.

He is stuck on 2a and should be a 3c. They are concerned as in 6 months he hasn't progressed but I think it's to do with his "memory" problems!

Oana... just by the by... were the lessons expensive? I'm having problems finding anyone locally atm.

Quote Originally Posted by silverpod
    Is this it? (the download)

http://nationalstrategies.standards.....uk/node/64668

This has level 2 and 3 so you can see what parts he's able to do.
    That's quite useful but it doesn't seem to specify the a, b, or c expectations within those levels iyswim... perhaps it's not all schools who break it down like that.

damsel Azana

whether a b or c is up or down depends on the school I *think* so 2a could be just above 2 and 2c working towards 3 or the other way round j- you prob need to ask the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie May
    That's quite useful but it doesn't seem to specify the a, b, or c expectations within those levels iyswim... perhaps it's not all schools who break it down like that.
    No, all school do break it down as the assessment levels are very wide. Plus when it was originally invented, one of the problems was children were expected to move 2 levels in 4 years, (for example from years 3-6 children were expected to move from level 2 to level 4). It was reasonably easy to see if the children had made progress over a year even if their overall level was the same but that wasn't enough for some people, hence the sub levels being thought up and used.

You could ask the teacher for a copy maybe if they are not online but I wouldn't worry too much about the actual sub levels (IMO the danger could be teaching to the assessment to get a specific 3c).

If your DS is at 2a, then I would help him with anything that's on the level 3 assessment that you feel he needs extra help with as that will aid him achieving level 3c and level 3 in general. Does he find some of the areas easier than others?

http://nationalstrategies.standards.....uk/node/47548 this is very useful - it is the new way teachers are doing assessment.

You could ask the teacher for a copy maybe if they are not online but I wouldn't worry too much about the actual sub levels (IMO the danger could be teaching to the assessment to get a specific 3c).

If your DS is at 2a, then I would help him with anything that's on the level 3 assessment that you feel he needs extra help with as that will aid him achieving level 3c and level 3 in general. Does he find some of the areas easier than others?
    I think I'll brave it and ask her for a photocopy of his actual acheivements so I can see the areas he is struggling in. I think he has a problem with remembering things to be honest such as the names for the 3D shapes. He has the memory of a sieve and can be told things over and over and then still have to ask again the next day! I don't think I can afford a private tutor looking at the prices so will need to see what I can do at home for him.

Great links for seeing where we should be aiming towards though thanks ladies and to see what's coming up next.

Damsel Diva Oana

Oana... just by the by... were the lessons expensive? I'm having problems finding anyone locally atm.
    I think we were lucky as a friend was on maternity leave who was a maths teacher so we just paid her £10 for 45 minute lesson which I think is very reasonable. We ended up keeping the lessons on until she sat her grammar school entrance tests - so approx 3.5 years but it was worth every penny. I used to take DD to her tutors house so she didn't have travel expenses to think about.
    I **think** approx £20 per hour is the going rate now.

There are agencies who can set up a tutor but I'd ask other parents first for any recommendations or even the school

I think I'll brave it and ask her for a photocopy of his actual acheivements so I can see the areas he is struggling in. I think he has a problem with remembering things to be honest such as the names for the 3D shapes. He has the memory of a sieve and can be told things over and over and then still have to ask again the next day! I don't think I can afford a private tutor looking at the prices so will need to see what I can do at home for him.
    Cool

A good investment could be a maths dictionary for him, I think this is the one I liked in class (has a different cover now).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Dictio...7288231&sr=8-2

Debutante Damsel

A "c" means just in the level, "b" means secure in the level and "a" means at the top of the level. This is the same in all schools.

It is very common for this to happen as moving from a level 2 to 3 is quite a big jump. It requires more problem solving skills and recognition and use of patterns. Expectations are different at Key Stage 2 than KS1 and it's actually easier to achieve a level 3 at KS1 than KS2. I wouldn't worry about it as, like I said, it's a very common sticking point.

Cool

A good investment could be a maths dictionary for him, I think this is the one I liked in class (has a different cover now).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Dictio...7288231&sr=8-2

that book looks good, but surely they've got the age wrong on it, says something like will help be useful from year 3 - 6 , then says age from age 9-11.

ds goes into year 3 in september, and he'll be 7yrs 5mths where do they get age 9 from lol

To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the wedding cup, Whenever you're wrong, admit it; Whenever you're right, shut up. ~ Ogden Nash ~

3 marks in an ellipsis 1980babe

He has the memory of a sieve and can be told things over and over and then still have to ask again the next day! I don't think I can afford a private tutor looking at the prices so will need to see what I can do at home for him.
    Story of my life!!

I got some great maths exercise books from the book people, to help out.