Any ideas as to a girl's TUDOR costume?

Only just sorted the school bags and found a letter about "Tudor week"..... we've done "ancient greek week" and "victorian week"... oh and "evacuation/war shelters a la 1940's week".... sigh... nothing there I can recycle unfortunately so more expense.

Any ideas? I can't even think what they wore!

Re: Any ideas as to a girl's TUDOR costume?

Mary Queen of Scots etc... is that the right era?

Damsel Diva DietCoke

have a lookie here....http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...rs/clothes.htm

you could do with some brocade!

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

Yep.

Long frock, sweetheart neckline, fluted sleeves, lots of decoration & pattern. Maybe an overskirt with a split up the front. A plaited headband with a veil coming off at the back. Lots of pearls.

Basically a princess dress!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    Yep.

Long frock, sweetheart neckline, fluted sleeves, lots of decoration & pattern. Maybe an overskirt with a split up the front. A plaited headband with a veil coming off at the back. Lots of pearls.

Basically a princess dress!
    I think I'll go raid the charity shop for velvet curtains! I couldn't think of head-dress... I was thinking of those long pointed hats but that's earlier isn't it.

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

This look!

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

Yep. Pointy hats are medieval. Except they're not really, but y'know...

Snorks 6, Mr Baby 3! parkejm

Would a tudor peasant outfit be acceptable? There's a lot less embellishment, cheaper materials and a pattern for the clothes here!

http://freespace.virgin.net/f.lea/index.htm
    xx Hermie xx
    xx Snorks xx
    xx Mr Baby xx

Would this work with a different hat or are the sleeves wrong?

Oh I wish I'd paid attention in history... what era is this?

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

I can't see any pictures! I can help with the history though.

Quote Originally Posted by parkejm
    Would a tudor peasant outfit be acceptable? There's a lot less embellishment, cheaper materials and a pattern for the clothes here!

http://freespace.virgin.net/f.lea/index.htm
    Sorry my pictures aren't working... odd...

It does say on the school letter plain fabrics so perhaps poorer clothes are what they had in mind but if her best (rich) friend turns up as a princess I don't think she'd be too impressed....

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

Yes... in my experience no-one wants to be the tudor peasant.

Honestly I wouldn't get too hung up about the correct era. Someone will be bound to turn up in a Disney princess outfit. And I doubt any boys will be wearing hose/tights and a codpiece.

Honestly I wouldn't get too hung up about the correct era. Someone will be bound to turn up in a Disney princess outfit. And I doubt any boys will be wearing hose/tights and a codpiece.
    I always feel sorry for the boy's mums although I have all that to come. I thought we'd got past dressing up days in middle school...

The pink dress with different headdress might work as a basic pattern here perhaps?

http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/40000/itm_img/M5207.jpg

I do think though by the time I've bought the fabric and pattern I'd be better off battling it out with the rest of them on ebay....

Damsel Diva DietCoke

why not ask on here if anyone has a spare bit of fabric? an old bridesmaid dress maybe? or try the charity shop?

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

I think the sleeves are better on the lilac/purple one.

I would just bodge together my own pattern by cutting out the exact shape of the dress (or at least the top) and sewing the two sides together. Maybe find some dralon/brocade curtains?

It's probably best that I have boys!

TVoR, QoN, etc. redhed

I think you'd be better with a pleated/gathered skirt than a flared one. The flare is medieval. Tudor was more like this, I think.
    CHASE children's hospice and Disability Challengers
    Every donation makes a BIG difference to small charities.

Damsel Diva

OMG! Are ALL schools like this??? I just about coped with providing a plain white t-shirt for Laura's nativity costume, there is NO WAY I can deal with stuff like this Do the school think all parents just sit around at home all day waiting for the next project to make? (and with endless cash to spend?)
    to go to first goal

Wanky Crack Ho Ruby

Yus. That looks right. I'm OK on the history but I'm crap at anything sewing related. I'll step away now...

ETA: I know Roo, our school would never get away with asking for as much as some people's schools do on here. The parents just wouldn't bother.

ETA: I know Roo, our school would never get away with asking for as much as some people's schools do on here. The parents just wouldn't bother.
    Well thankfully she said she WANTS to be a "poor" tudor so I can use a sheet for a bonnet and apron and just need to find a long skirt from somewhere.

I know you say parents wouldn't bother but... I am constantly shocked at how much effort people put in... I don't know if they all secretly own costume shops or something but they certainly have a lot of money!

Eldest DS never got asked to dress up in Year 5 so this must be a new thing... all the rest I mentioned was in the primary school.