Damsel Diva

I'm applying to be a Parent Governor

My application/nomination form has to be in on Monday for the Parent Governor vacancy at DS's school. I'm having a bit of trouble writing a bit about me, which will be sent out to every parent for the election. I've got to keep it to a third of A4, but already filled half a side and I haven't even said yet why I want to be a governor!

DS has only just started reception class, so I don't know a great deal about the school, only really what I've read and experienced so far. I also attended a governors open meeting for parents a couple of weeks ago, and I was shocked to discover I was the only parent that turned up.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of advice on what to say about me in the application. So far I've talked about my career history but for the life of me I can't put into words why I want to be a parent governor and what I can bring to the board. Other than putting that I can bring fresh ideas and that I would be commited, I'm not too sure whether this is good enough.

Any help will be massively appreciated!

Thanks,
    RP x

Tits McGee WeeBird

Re: I'm applying to be a Parent Governor

I think the fact that you have a little one at the nursery and you are prepared to commit the time is more than enough tbh. You have a vested interest in ensuring that the nursery gets the very best out of the children as well as adhering to the million squillion rules and regs they have to follow. You'll be at the gates every day (I should imagine), happy to talk to any of the parents. That's what's required.

I am a parent governor at our nursery and that's what I do. Most of the parents know who I am and if they have any issues that they need bringing to the attention of the governors they know who to bring it up with.

Best of luck, you sound ideal for the job to me.
    9 7 Jan 08 4 3

Mada Mada Dane cherry fizz

In terms of writing it to length - start with making bullet points of what you feel you absolutely must say. Work those into a couple of sentences each. Then have an opening introductory paragraph about why you are applying and a closing sentence or two about your suitability due to your career and to thank people for their interest.

Fresh ideas and time commitment would sell it to me, most parents wouldn't have either of those things let alone both.

Damsel Diva

Thanks WeeBird!

It's been tough getting nominations as while I am always willing to say hello and chat to people, the other parents have been reluctant to talk to each other yet. I kind of just jumped on a couple of other mums who I'd briefly spoken to before and they were happy to nominate me.

I'm going to sit down tomorrow and finish my application. Thank you for the advice and your kind words. I'll let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed I'm elected!

Damsel Diva

Oh and thanks Cherry fizz too!

My DH also said to bullet point what I want to say. I think it's a great idea to open it with why I'm applying, I was going to talk about me first. I think that would read much better.

Damsel Diva

Just to say thanks again girls!

I submitted my form today. I laid it out with why I was interested in being a governor, then about my career and then how I can use my career experience as a governor.

It was really difficult squashing what I had to say into three small paragraphs, but I did it!

Watch this space - hopefully I get elected. I know I'm up against at least another two parents.

RP xx

Good luck!

Tits McGee WeeBird

Best of luck Red Princess, let us know how you get on

Damsel Diva

Well I've got some good news...

I've been elected as Parent Governor!!

A lot of hard work ahead, but I'm going to really enjoy it!

Well done! Have fun

shrinking slowly noddy

Yay! Well done! I only just saw your thread so I was going to dig out Mr Noddy's form as he was elected parent governor last year, but you didn't need it!

As you say, it's hard work but Mr Noddy finds it very rewarding.

Noddy

for lb weightloss for Camille's appeal: 8 x lost, 24 x to go!