Can dogs eat rice pudding?

I am having some Rice Pudding but wont eat it all, do you think I can give my Staffy some?

Sally Cinnamon, you're my world

Re: Can dogs eat rice pudding?

Send the rice pudding to meeeeeeeee It's my current craving.

No idea if dogs are allowed it though

On the way AG!

The title of this thread sounds like one of those books 'Why dont penguins feet freeze?' etc...

mwahXX Hellina

dh says it is not advisable as it is too rich for them, but they do like it as it is creamy.

but if he is around there would never be any left for the doggie anyways

Thanks Hellina.

I gave her two tabelspoons full as a tiny treat so hopefully she should be ok.

She LOVED it!!
    Last edited by sallycinnamon; 21-06-2008 at 05:06pm.

Here's a guide you might find useful!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24544541/
    Karen x

Thanks Old Hag! Thats really useful.

Dogs are allowed it. They normally have it as one of their meals when they are puppies

Disorganised Damsel RealGoneKid

Since my two dogs once ate a box of three lightbulbs I think a bit of rice pudding would be fine

RGK, he he! Make up was always a favourite of my pooch when she was little but lightbulbs, jeez!!!

I just read on that link that grapes / raisins are really dangerous to dogs, freaked me out a bit as Poppy will often drop a grape for Dex when she's having some..not any more she won't, they can cause kidney failure, even just after one portion!
    Proud Mum to Jake, 22 & Poppy, 7

Vet Nurse Damsel Em29

Yep, grapes and chocolate are the two little known dangerous foods.

Rice pudding is fine as a treat but the richness can cause a bit of diarrhoea in some dogs.

I hope she enjoyed it!!!

Back to nappies! lazymummy

My dogs eat our leftovers, so eat onions (in bolognese etc.) A LOT!

So I'm a bit about that article!

"Onions are another common food that can be highly toxic to pets. They can destroy an animal's red blood cells and lead to anemia, weakness and breathing difficulties. Their effects are also cumulative over time"

Damsel Diva Katiekipper

Really, dogs shouldn't have any people food except meat but a few spoons as a treat is fine! My dog used to love tea and real ale (very watered down) as his monthly treats!
    Mum to Ross 16, Eden 13 and Beanie (real name Finn) 11 and my 3 angel babies, never forgotten xx

Check out my knit shop!
    http://www.facebook.com/LittleEdenKnits

Disorganised Damsel RealGoneKid

Quote Originally Posted by sallycinnamon
    RGK, he he! Make up was always a favourite of my pooch when she was little but lightbulbs, jeez!!!
    I know! I was just completely stumped by the fact that between two of them they ate three I mean, which one of them thought "yum, that was nice, I'll have another"

Quote Originally Posted by RealGoneKid
    I know! I was just completely stumped by the fact that between two of them they ate three I mean, which one of them thought "yum, that was nice, I'll have another"

My daft dog ate 60 a couple of weeks back, 3 x 20 notes

Crikey my dogs 6 years old and my last was 15 when he died and both of them eat anything and everything from left over roast dinner, puddings, chocolate that they steal whenever they can, rice pudding, lasagne, baked onions grapes, cuecumber just about anything and everything we've ever eaten, the dogs have finished up, with no dire effects whatsoever. I think it's a bit like, will it hurt your child if you let it eat a sweet inbetween meals really.
    Perfectly Gorgeous Handmade Jewellery and Gifts

www.perfectlygorgeous.com

Vet Nurse Damsel Em29

Quote Originally Posted by Katiequiggle
    Crikey my dogs 6 years old and my last was 15 when he died and both of them eat anything and everything from left over roast dinner, puddings, chocolate that they steal whenever they can, rice pudding, lasagne, baked onions grapes, cuecumber just about anything and everything we've ever eaten, the dogs have finished up, with no dire effects whatsoever. I think it's a bit like, will it hurt your child if you let it eat a sweet inbetween meals really.
    I have never heard of onions being bad and have never come across raisin or grape poisoning but chocolate is definatly one to worry about, it contains theobromine which is closely related to caffeine and causes liver and kidney failure in dogs and cats. It all depends on the quality of the chocolate, the higher the cocoa solids then the wors eit is and dark choc is worse than milk. I think it's something like 500g of good quality dark chocolate could potentially kill a collie sized dog.

I not only speak from professional experience but personal as well, my mum's yorkie raided the xmas presents under the tree once when we were out and ate quite a bit of good quality chocolate. She was rushed straight to the vets but didn't see new year, she had liver failure.

Personally, I would feed a dog most things as a treat, now and again but not all the time.