Damsel Diva

. What do 8/9 year old boys like to do?

I need to know in my role as a childminder, as a woman phoned me earlier looking for childcare for her 2 boys. Thomas and Oscar are 4 and 13 months, so I'm a bit clueless!

It would only be for a couple of hours 4 days a week (not sure about holidays yet though) but I would like to have some idea for suggestions for when she comes over tomorrow. Obviously I will ask her what specific things they like to do too, and see if I can accomodate.

TIA

shrinking damsel goldilocks

Re: What do 8/9 year old boys like to do?

Oooh good luck florence. Will keep everything crossed for you

I find that they mostly like playing outside in the garden, doing some crafts and cooking, and the playstation and computer.

Alot of the time they get involved with whatever the little ones are playing with and enjoy playing with the younger toys too (something they don't have the chance to do if they don't have little ones at home).
    'We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing'

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

my friends little boy is into anything to do with games ie nintendo/wii/ds, jigsaws, football, science experiments, pranks/jokes, those shoot out card things, top trumps and Bionicles!

Damsel Diva

Thanks, will bear it all in mind for tomorrow. I'm not meeting them tomorrow though, just their Mum. Not sure if that is the norm or not! I presume that if she is happy, then we will do some settling in sessions.

Grinchy Old Carp

My nephews are that age - they are football mad and love computer games. Also science sets, kits to make gadgets, stupid joke books and a lot of fighting. They love factual books and reference stuff, the gorier the better. Things like Horrible Histories and the Science ones. Those sets of cards (YuGiOh, is it?) and films like Star Wars
    Fifi x

My little lollipop is six years old

Mrs W 'Line

My friend has a 9 year old boy who every time I see him is waving a light sabre around his head or having imaginary fight scenarios. He constantly talks to himself too

Grinchy Old Carp

Quote Originally Posted by 'Line
    My friend has a 9 year old boy who every time I see him is waving a light sabre around his head or having imaginary fight scenarios
    Yep, that sounds familiar

oh yeah Horrible Histories is also K's big thing at the mo - he seems to have just reached the age where he actually wants to read a book, so the funnier and gorier the better!!

Damsel Diva

Some good ideas there! She came around today, I've yet to meet the boys but they are mine to look after if I want to, so I must have done something right!

I really hope that it all works out with Thomas and Oscar though, I don't want them to feel pushed out with having children a lot older around. Also their Dad walked out on them a few months ago so I'm hoping that isn't going to be a problem with their behaviour.

Damsel Diva clowe74

You may find your boys love having older kids around, mine always liked having "big kids" round as they are soooooo cool
    DS1 16, DS2 14, DD 11

Damsel Diva

Thomas is already keen to play football with them! They do have a 1 year old sister so are used to younger ones.

Damsel Diva Katiekipper

He won't feel pushed out. Older kids really don't take any looking after apart from fetching them biscuits and drinks! My 7.5 yr old likes lego, Knex, Playstation, playing outside, guns/lightsabres/swords, reading and being read to, current obsession is WW1, but previous ones have been sharks and space.
    He loves little ones and will build them towers to knock down or play cars with them.
    Mum to Ross 16, Eden 13 and Beanie (real name Finn) 11 and my 3 angel babies, never forgotten xx

Check out my knit shop!
    http://www.facebook.com/LittleEdenKnits

shrinking damsel goldilocks

Well done florence

I'm sure your 2 will be fine. Just be sure to have strict rules with their toys as thats what usually causes ructions here. I have a strict rule that my kids stuff stays in their rooms when minding and they play with the 'childminding toys'. Works well for us here and saves alot of squabbling. Also means my kids don't get fed up of their own toys as they aren't out all the time