Voluntary Redundancy Help Please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Redundancy Help Please!

So, I've been in the same job for the past 14 years. Three years ago I was downgraded, I was put on protected pay which will last until August 2015.

As far as I can see the main reason for downgrading me is because my boss wants rid of me. It's a very cliquey environment and my face has never really fit. I asked to be made redundant in 2012, but then found myself unexpectedly pregnant with DD2. Luckily it hadn't been formalised due to the fact the university hadn't finalised their new redundancy policy. So, my boss agreed for me to stay on and come back to work following mat leave.

Since I was downgraded my job has pretty much disappeared. I don't manage any staff, I have very little responsibility and get the most mundane tasks to do. I'm seriously bored and can't even initiate anything new as obstacles are usually put in my way or responsibilities have been given to other people.

Last week I went to see my boss again with a view to requesting VR again. I know for a fact they wang to get rid of me although obviously my boss can't say it in so many words. The downside is that now I'm PT I'm only entitled to PT redundancy, it grates a bit as I've worked 13 years full time and just 9 months part time. Those are the rules so that's the way it is.

My question is this, do you think there is anything else I can ask for as a gesture of goodwill? Basically I'm doing them a favour by going peacefully. It's coming at a perfect time for them as they are wanting to restructure the Faculty and it takes out a previously senior role. I don't see the point in hanging around at work, given that I have no real role so I wondered if I could ask for 3 months Pay in lieu of notice. Do you think that would be cheeky?

Am so stressed by this
    Thanks for reading (I know it's long) xx

Re: Voluntary Redundancy Help Please!

Excuse the typo I obviously meant want and not wang ha ha!!!

Comment

Are you sure you only get part time redundancy? Can you speak to ACAs or similar to double check. Seems very unfair.

Comment

Yes because the job that is being made redundant is now part time

Comment

Wow, that just seems so unfair! I think if you know they want to get rid of you then definitely try to bargain with them - they can only say no.

Comment

I know I'm pretty gutted tbh

Comment

Does the fact you have continual service not count for anything at all? Seems a bit sh!t xx

Comment

Did you withdraw the original redundancy request to get maternity pay/maternity leave? And then ask to come back part-time? Because that does sound as if your employer has been as accommodating as they could be in the circumstances. What were the terms of the ring-fencing/protected pay, do you get considered for any jobs at the higher grade automatically?

Comment

I had the same thing - worked for a company for many years, went part time, shortly after role was made redundant and my redundancy was based on the part time hours - apparently its because its looking at the future (but then it looks backward in terms of the number of years its based on). I did manage to negotiate some garden leave (paid time off) which softened the blow.

I must say that in the end it was a really positive thing as it enabled me to do new stuff....

Comment

Don't get me wrong I do appreciate them not going ahead with the initial VR due to my pregnancy although to be fair I only got a verbal agreement in principle, and hadn't signed anything or even been offered a settlement figure.

The terms of my protected pay were that I would be paid at my existing grade for four years. If I wanted a job at my existing grade I would have to apply like anyone else but those on redeployment list would be first in line.

Bop I think that's what I'm going to try and negotiate. My boss has said she would rather work with me to improve my job, but she says that then does nothing. I will have to leave by Aug 2015 anyway as my salary will go down by 6k meaning that after paying childcare alone I will have minus 30 available :-) oops

Comment

Every month that is. Which means if DH pays the mortgage and council tax out of his pay we will have 170 a month to cover everything else!!

Comment

In the circumstances, I can't see why they'd object to you having garden leave/payment in lieu for your notice period..

Good luck sorting everything out

Comment

Can you agree to a settlement agreement? They give you X figure for you to go?

Comment

Hi
                            Thanks for the replies. I wrote my boss an email on Tuesday morning and then had a meeting with her in the afternoon.
                            She met with HR the following day. There is no budging on the PT payout so I will get 15 weeks at PT rate. They have agreed to the pay in lieu of notice, I asked for three months but they haven't confirmed how long.
                            I've said I want to leave ASAP as I have no work to do. I now have to wait for a a Staffing Panel to get it signed off by the top bods in the University. The next one is 5th November.

I feel that I've done the right thing and the fact is I don't really have a choice.

I feel a bit sad that 14 years has come down to a very small payment and my boss wondering who she was going to hand my 2 very menial tasks to :-)
                            I used to absolutely love my job in spite of the fact some of my colleagues are a bit odd to say the least (anyone else ever worked anywhere where people spread rumours you had cancer when in fact you were just pregnant with bad morning sickness 😏)

Comment

You know what I could have wrote all that myself. Not sure if you remember I posted something similar and I ended up requesting to leave under the voluntary severance scheme from the Uni where I have worked for 19 years. I am finishing on 31st October and can't wait to get away now.

I too am bored and when I was updating my CV I could have cried thinking how have I gone from a decent responsible interesting job to such a dull boring one within two years.

Our scheme does count your full time service and to be honest it does sound very unfair that doesn't count.

But having said that your sanity is worth more than money and it sounds like you need to get out of there.

Good luck with it all x

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Topics: 224,223   Posts: 3,512,830   Members: 6,368   Active Members: 1
                              Welcome to our newest member, firethornuk.
                              Working...
                              X