Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luxating patella's - anyone dog had this? Surgery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luxating patella's - anyone dog had this? Surgery?

My little dog has slippy kneecaps. She's almost 3yrs old, it doesn't seem to cause her major pain she will do a little skip & then not use one of her back legs. But over the past 2wks it's been happening constantly. Took her to the vet who gave anti-inflammatories and said if no better in a week, take her back as she may need surgery to prevent future artheritis.
    Has anyone's dog had this? Did you go ahead with the surgery option?

Re: Luxating patella's - anyone dog had this? Surgery?

Sounds like what my friend's dog had - he had an op a few weeks ago and I think its sorted him (but he was not happy wth very limited exercise for a few weeks post op).

He's a cockapoo and 1-2 years old.

Bop

Comment

My dog had this issue and I opted for the op, he had a new type of surgery where they screwed a piece of plastic to the joint to build up the groove to keep the kneecap in place, the recovery for him was much quicker than the traditional op of cutting out bone to deepen the groove and now 4 months post surgery you wouldn't know he had ever had a problem unless he over exerts himself and he will get a little stiff and hobbly, I also give him a supplement daily to help with the joints as he will most likely get arthritis in later life, but if it's the new style surgery I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. We'll be back at the vet with her this week, I'll definitely ask about the new surgery option.
        What supplements do you use Piglet? Were they from the vet?

Comment

I give him a Youmove tablet once a day (as he is a small dog) as the surgeon recommended them as they have a high green lipped mussel content, they smell dreadful but he eats it readily so they can't be that bad as he is a fussy wotsit. It is quite a new surgery as my dog was the first that she had done so you may need a referral but well worth it for the shorter recovery period and less traumatic for the dog.

Comment

My Alaskan Malamute had this in his left hind leg a few years ago. He had the surgery where they deepen the groove of the knee bone and his recover was about 12 weeks and he has pins in his leg permanently. He now has the same problem with his hind right leg but the day before surgery he tore a ligament in his left hind which meant we had to put surgery off. He hasn't been walked for about 12 weeks and the luxating patella in his right leg doesn't seem to be bothering him too much atm (touch wood) - so I am going to postpone his surgery and let him be a dog for a while before he gets another surgery and try supplements and keep my fingers crossed. Vet wants to see him every month while we do that.

Comment

Topics: 224,223   Posts: 3,512,830   Members: 6,368   Active Members: 1
            Welcome to our newest member, firethornuk.
            Working...
            X