Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ipod touch for a 7 year old - pros and cons

Originally posted by noo noo View Post
    Santa will bring a Mobile Phone (Kyle) and a Kindle (Iona) plus stockings.
    Would she really need a separate Kindle? You can get the kindle app free for the ipod touch.

Comment

Just remember you are giving a 7yr old un supervised access o the Internet in a very portable way if you choose to put wifi on with it- yes " safe search" is there but still. Sorry but my teens are only just getting comp,ete free range on the web in their own rooms at 14 or so. Dd2 (12) still uses the Internet in the living room.

Just my 2p worth.

And I agree buy toys for a 7yr old and play WITH your child- not specifically directed t the op - but I'm sure a lot of the " my child isn't interested in toys/books" is because they are given stuff and expect to get on with it - they need to learn how to play/ read for pleasure etc

Comment

DD (8) is getting dh's old iPhone when he upgrades (sim removed!). It's a 3. It's on strict understanding that she will share it with her brother sometimes.

She has a ds, and we were going to get one for DS () this Christmas - but there just seems no point any more. There's two smartphones, and iPad & a Kindle in the house already. Plus dd takes a book everywhere. So we are not short on gaming devices, cameras or portable things to entertain on the go.

It seemed sensible to hang on to the old phone and she can have one device for music and games, camera too if she wants. She's already got an old 1st gen iPod but tbh she finds it difficult to find the music she wants - touchscreen much easier. The iPod will go to DS's room, I'll start it playing stories and music for him.

Katiekipper - I see your point about the password. However I think we will just disable wireless completely - I think dd will be perfectly happy using the already downloaded stuff and asking if/when she wants more. She's not the most 'grown-up' of 8 yr olds though, and still plays with soft toys LOADS, so I don't have concerns on that score.

Sorry - not sure this ramble is of much help!

Comment

My DD w.ho's 6 originally wanted a netbook for Christmas but has since went off the idea as lots of her friends are getting an iPod touch for Christmas. We had a similar dilema but I reasoned that it is another "electronic device" like a DS etc so we have bought her one from Santa for Christmas.

By the way we bought it direct from Apple - it was a reconditioned one and cost 139.

She is an "expert" already on my iPhone and does use some Maths apps as well as the usual games - Angry birds.

I personally think that at 7 it is an acceptable present to get!

Comment

Originally posted by RedTiger View Post
            Would she really need a separate Kindle? You can get the kindle app free for the ipod touch.
            Argh! I so don't need to hear that.

Kindle is already bought and they were supposed to each be getting Shuffles but on the thread where I asked about a mobile phone for Kyle it was suggested that it was better to get a cheap mobile plus an iTouch and avoid Shuffles altogether as they are difficult to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by thirzasmum View Post

And I agree buy toys for a 7yr old and play WITH your child- not specifically directed t the op - but I'm sure a lot of the " my child isn't interested in toys/books" is because they are given stuff and expect to get on with it - they need to learn how to play/ read for pleasure etc
              Well as I said that, er thanks. How to make me feel crap. No, he just isn't interested and is awake for 13 hours a day so I can't play with him constantly.

Comment

Noonoo, I don't find reading on the itouch good for my eyes at all. If Iona is going to read on an electronic device a Kindle is far superior than the Kindle App on an itouch.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, will go back through now!

Comment

my two have them (wasn't and still wouldn't be with my blessing)

they mainly use them for playing games on & listening to music on during long car journeys and if i have to take them to an appointment with me.

I absolutely don't let them have them during the day, and S has asked to have his email on his but now way

they are easily able to use the technology (and rightly so i think) but i think its totally uneccessary for them to be using them on a daily basis.

as i said, long car journeys and it gives them a bit of independence and generally keeps them quiet, but i don't think they 'need' them at that age.

i agree though, if they don't play with toys it does get difficult.

I have got S a guitar for his (7th) birthday and an inflatable canoe (to share) for xmas if that's any help!

bbxx

Comment

Originally posted by donna-j View Post
                    Well as I said that, er thanks. How to make me feel crap. No, he just isn't interested and is awake for 13 hours a day so I can't play with him constantly.
                    My kids don't WANT to play with me anymore than I want to play with them! I get involved with things that I need to be, for safety etc, but other than that, mine are pretty much left to themselves!

Comment

My daughter got an ipod Touch for last Xmas. We haven't regretted the purchase one bit. Wireless is completely disabled on it, if Poppy wants new apps she gives it to me and I do it. She has used it loads, especially whilst travelling and for music and for films. Hours of fun to be had with the camera and video too.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                        My kids don't WANT to play with me anymore than I want to play with them! I get involved with things that I need to be, for safety etc, but other than that, mine are pretty much left to themselves!
                        Thanks BW, have been feeling rubbish I have them 7-7 every day on my own and ferry them about, do the various school/nursery/playgroup drops, take them to classes, cook, clean (ish), try to work (freelance), apply for jobs, do work on two demanding committees. Occasionally they just have to get on with it when they are at home.

Comment

I would buy Alfie one who is 7 if it is what he asked for, for xmas

Nowadays this is what it is all about electronics stuff for kids, i dont think it is so much about the toys Not like when i was a child

Alfie has a Ipod he has had one since he was 6 years old but this is because he is really into his music & he always has it on in the car when we go on journeys, he just plugs it into his carseat & he can listen to the songs that he wants to rather than what we do

He is always on my Ipad playing the games on there which i know you can do on the ipod touch, & i no he will be the same when i get a upgrade to the Iphone

I would def get Alfie one if he wanted one for xmas, im so struggling with Alfie this year it gets harder & harder more so as he isnt into anything toy wise, like lego, kinex anything like that

Comment

DD's iTouch is on plane mode all the time so like others have said we are the ones (well her daddy) who download apps and she doesn't get internet access at all.

She loves hers and does lots of other stuff too, including reading all her storybooks, drawing, writing stories and making up dance shows with her sister etc. Just because a kid has the latest gadget, doesn't mean to say everything else falls by the wayside.

I remember (get your violins out girls ) feeling like the only one in my class without a Rubiks cube and telling fibs that I had one to my pals, but chose not to take it to school. I'd hate for either of my DDs to feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by donna-j View Post
                              Occasionally they just have to get on with it when they are at home.
                              Of course they do. If we were in their faces all the time, being turbo-mummies, they'd be sick of us.

Comment

More threads from this section

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
                              Started by kittikins, 29-11-2014, 08:17am
                              4 replies
                              0 likes
                              helpimfalling  
                              Started by Tigerstripes, 20-10-2014, 08:55pm
                              8 replies
                              0 likes
                              Tigerstripes  
                              Started by kittikins, 12-10-2014, 06:49pm
                              16 replies
                              0 likes
                              emsie
                              by emsie

Started by bubbasweet, 04-08-2014, 04:54pm
                              34 replies
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  

Latest Forum Activity

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
                              Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:10am
                              0 replies
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  
                              Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:06am
                              0 replies
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  
                              Started by lisnic, 16-11-2014, 11:13pm
                              11 replies
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  
                              Started by Damsella, 31-05-2015, 11:55am
                              1 reply
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  
                              Started by Damsella, 21-04-2015, 01:23pm
                              5 replies
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  

Topics: 209,926   Posts: 3,199,816   Members: 6,368   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, firethornuk.

Latest Forum Activity

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
                              Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:10am
                              0 replies
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  
                              Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:06am
                              0 replies
                              0 likes
                              Damsella  
                              Started by lisnic, 16-11-2014, 11:13pm