Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What foods are best to calm an IBS flare up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What foods are best to calm an IBS flare up?

I think that's what it is! I do have a bit of a sensitive gut but I've been feeling so rough for a week or two now, nausea and tiredness as well as the bowel probs.

I thought if I kind of detox for a few days I can see if it is diet related or something to go to the GP for.

Thanks

Re: What foods are best to calm an IBS flare up?

Mint tea helps me no end

Comment

Thanks noo noo. I might try that. The only hot drink I can stand is builders tea though so will see how desperate I get first

Comment

I've had this for over a month now too, keeps coming and going and came back last night! OH has got it too, his comes and goes too. I wasn't sure whether it was IBS or whether it was a stubborn bug. Seeing as both OH and I have got it I figured it was a bit coincidental for us both to have IBS? Would be interested to see what could help, I have been avoiding spicy foods!

Comment

peppermint tea used to help me a bit.

Comment

Agree, peppermint tea.

Avoid bread and pasta, then flares it up for me.

Comment

peppermint tea and Colpermin capsules always help me when I have a flare up . I was diagnosed years ago after an Endoscope investigation among other things .The Consultant told me to stop eating certain foods to find out what the triggers were. Milk and dairy often made it worse but only when having a flare up .

Comment

I'd also try some healthy bacteria stuff - either the yogurts or tablets.

Comment

What foods did he tell you to stop eating Squirt?
                  I know that wheat bread doesn't agree with me. Can't eat more than one slice a day without feeling an effect

Think I might have to give peppermint tea a try!!!

Comment

i have crohns disease (the whole IBS thing is a sore point for me as i was wrongly diagnosed with it like many others, and by the time i was eventually diagnosed it was too late for me) I find that GP are too quick to diagnose IBS rather than investigate IBD (crohns, colitis etc)..

I found with the nausea that ginger and peppermint tea helped..

depending on whether you have constipation or the skits... you can change your diet to suit. I was constantly going to the loo... so with that i was on a low residue diet which consisted on mashed potato, plain chicken, white rice and soup... i stayed away from high fibre foods as this only aggrevated my stomach and bowels.

xx

Comment

Thanks Gemz,

My prob is that I'm going very often rather than constipation or diarrhoea and got loads of cramps and bloating. So bland easy to digest foods might help then?!

Comment

Originally posted by martha View Post
                        What foods did he tell you to stop eating Squirt?

He said I had rule out what was a trigger food for me to keep a food diary etc different things affect sufferers differently . This was over 15 years ago so recent advice may of changed . BTW as there was a huge amount of people in my family with Chrohns they didn't hesitate with sending me for tests . I was actually going to ask have you had a confirmed diagnosis or are you assuming its IBS ?

Comment

I'm still being inve

Comment

probiotics work for me

Comment

I meant to add to my last post my dad has Chrohns and he is meant to eat very bland stuff mashed pots , not too much fibre or veg etc . I also echo what Gemz said my dad suffered for a long long time before he was diagnosed he was almost dead before he was diagnosed

Comment

Working...
                              X