Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do your children read to their teachers, and would this bother you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask about how they chose the level of book. I don't know about reception as DD was in year one when our system changed. The children chose a book that they think they can read/would like rather than following a set level.

DD is now in yr 2 and doesn't like the choice of books at school. She has the box set of Roald Dahl at home and a set of Rainbow Fairies books. She tends to take one of those to read.

Comment

Re: How often do your children read to their teachers, and would this bother you?

At our school they have to read through the levels regardless of where they are at. It's a PITA, more so with DS1 than with DS2 as he was a more competent reader at that age.

Comment

Re: How often do your children read to their teachers, and would this bother you?

If she's finding books easy/hard, I would just have a go with them when she's reading to you, write it on the reading record thing, and maybe mention it at parents' evening if you feel it's been a bit inconsistent. Is it possible she's being allowed to choose her own book when she's finished? I was a parent-helper for years, and used to check the children had picked a book from the level they were on (the school graded a variety of different books into their own reading scheme, far better, imo, than sticking to ORT and bloody Biff, so there was always a range of type of books, including some non-fiction). Then find books she likes to read at home - I emphasise like rather than buying books from some other wretched reading scheme, which can be very formulaic and dull. Far better she tries to read something she's interested in. Obviously, all of this is my opinion, but I do think rigid adherence at home to levels and schemes makes reading some sort of thing to achieve, instead of a joy.

/rant over

Comment

Robbie twice a week . Once with the teacher and once with the teaching assistant !

Blair manages only once but that seems to depend on if she turns up ( always off sick ) and she can be bothered ! I read with them both every night though .

Comment

Every day and group reading a couple of times a month. The levels move about a lot and he often goes from difficult to easier then bloody hard but this keeps him on his toes and boosts his confidence.

A lot of parents just write 'done' in their child's homework books whereas we have a bit of a dialogue going with the teacher (which she probably finds really annoying) but it does mean that when I've said he's struggled with 'th' or 'ch' sounds etc, he is then given a book specifically focusing on digraphs for homework!

Comment

DD1 reads with her teacher every Monday to Thursday (I'm not sure about Fri) and it is recorded in the reading diary. She leaves a comment and we have to sign it each day after hearing her read the same chapter or pages as part of homework.

Comment

I would expect a child to read to the teacher or teaching assistant minimum once per week, and that if it was teaching assistant one week it should be teacher the next week IYSWIM so that the teacher is on the pulse of their progress.

In my experience, TAs tend to check the reading record book parents write in and tend to write in it along the lines of 'well done' unless parents have asked a question or need guidance etc. Teachers decide which book level and when to move up. From Y1 onwards I'd hope twice a week reading in school really.

As a teacher I'd have difficulty in reporting on progress half termly to the literacy co-ordinator in school, 3 times per year parents' evening and yearly reports without reading with a child min. once per week. I wouldn't really know exactly where they were and their next steps without that frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaker View Post
                  A lot of parents just write 'done' in their child's homework books whereas we have a bit of a dialogue going with the teacher (which she probably finds really annoying) but it does mean that when I've said he's struggled with 'th' or 'ch' sounds etc, he is then given a book specifically focusing on digraphs for homework!
                  I always write a comment about how she's got on with the book and which bits she has struggled with, or whether she's found it too easy - I don't know if this is right, but I've been helping out with reading in school and always find it a bit strange when parents just write 'done' or even a comment which seems to be more directed at their child eg. 'great reading tonight, well done Harry'.

Thanks for your feedback Mrs F - it's really interesting to get a teacher's perspective on it. I can't see either how she can possibly really know how well Anna is doing if she's not hearing her read. I feel she's getting a bit overlooked because she's doing well - it's like they've got a lot in their class and a lot of children who are probably struggling more than she is so are getting more attention but I think she's starting to feel a bit left out from some things she's said over the weekend.

Comment

My DD2 is in reception. They listen to her read twice a week (so usually has two books a week). She too is finding the books easy to read but i just supplement at home and use my local library. They started giving her other books now which aren't Biff, Chip, Kipper ones which will increase her vocabulary.
                    Her actual class teacher doesn't listen to her often but TA's and parent helpers do and actually that's fine by me, they are there to assist the teacher after all. I'm sure their progress is fed back to the teacher somehow.

Aren't there phonics tests starting for reception kids this year too? You don't know how busy the teacher is with prep for that i guess? Esp if she has a large class to keep track of. But regardless of that i would imagine the teacher is pretty busy doing other things with the children without sitting down with every child to read (60 to a class is massive too! ).

If i were you though i'd just pop in and speak to her teacher and express any concerns you may have.
                    I'd definitely be supplementing reading at home too though as i think it's not just up to the school to teach a child to read, you don't have to follow their schedule if you think she can do more- providing you're not pushing her harder than she can cope with which i'm sure you wouldn't!

Comment

More threads from this section

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
                    Started by lisnic, 16-11-2014, 11:13pm
                    11 replies
                    0 likes
                    Damsella  
                    Started by Miss Frosty, 14-10-2014, 04:14pm
                    10 replies
                    0 likes
                    helpimfalling  
                    Started by Mrs Flowers, 19-10-2014, 08:17pm
                    0 replies
                    0 likes
                    Mrs Flowers  
                    Started by Roseyposey, 30-09-2014, 11:17am
                    4 replies
                    0 likes
                    Cat Queen  
                    Started by jellybean, 22-09-2014, 03:43pm
                    3 replies
                    0 likes
                    jellybean  

Latest Forum Activity

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
                    Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:10am
                    0 replies
                    0 likes
                    Damsella  
                    Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:06am
                    0 replies
                    0 likes
                    Damsella  
                    11 replies
                    0 likes
                    Damsella  
                    Started by Damsella, 31-05-2015, 11:55am
                    1 reply
                    0 likes
                    Damsella  
                    Started by Damsella, 21-04-2015, 01:23pm
                    5 replies
                    0 likes
                    Damsella  

Topics: 209,926   Posts: 3,199,816   Members: 6,368   Active Members: 6
                    Welcome to our newest member, firethornuk.

Latest Forum Activity

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
                    Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:10am
                    0 replies
                    0 likes
                    Damsella  
                    Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:06am
                    0 replies
                    0 likes
                    Damsella