Way to discipline a 2 year old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Way to discipline a 2 year old?

I used to ask myself 'are they likely to injure themselves or someone else'. If the answer is yes then I'd intervene. If they were really doing my head in then I'd put them in their (very high sided) cot for a short while - more for breathing space in extreme moments. Such a shame they don't make cots for 11 and 16 y olds

Of course the best thing is to distract/ignore/praise the good but there are those times when it's just not working.

Comment

We're going through this too . My HV told me to ignore her unless she's doing something that could be dangerous/hurtful to herself or others. She doesn't get consequences yet but does react to having something taken away eg if she is purposely spilling juice it gets taken off her.
      I feel like i'm permanently shouting at the moment but I think a lot of it is her seeing the opportunity and wanting attention whilst i'm feeding G.

Comment

Standing them in the corner worked for all three of mine. I actually think that they understand it at some level when they are very young and their understanding develops as they get older. And if you start it very young they learn very quickly not to run off.

I go for understanding that they are two and testing to help me not get too wound up about it, but I certainly think they are old enough to be disciplined at two.

Comment

I just ignore them and I tell them when they start misbehaving I am ignoring you until you behave and the reason why and carry on whith what I am doing 90% of the time this works as they want attention and I am not giving it them

Comment

With drinks, they get taken away if thrown with a reason why, jumping about, gets removed from furniture, stairs etc into a safer room, being mean to a sibling results in splitting them up. Easier said then done, though.

Mine (even the 7 yr old) play up when I am least likely to be able to stop what I am doing - cooking is a real flashpoint, as is me having to get ready for work. I've actually had to harden myself not to respond to every scream but when they are in that mood, sometimes you just have to watch them, which is easier said than done.

It can really help if you set them up with an activity when you have to be out of the room for a while - e.g. a favourite DVD, toy. Most of it is attention seeking. Every time he misbehaves, you have to come into the room and he'll up the ante if he is not getting it. So, I find ignoring can make the problem worse because you'll have to come in anyway if he is trying to kill himself or sister and you need nerves of steel to do it, which you won't have if you are rushing through something and stressed anyway.

I wish there were a magic cure for it and it is something I really don't enjoy about small children. 2 is still very young and he won't remember instructions/rules for long and a lot of it is down to you being on top of the game, which, with 2 under 3s, is quite a mountain of a task. Make sure you get enough sleep and a break, which will make it easier for you to cope and remember he'll be at pre-school within the next year, too!

Comment

More threads from this section

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
            Started by Mrs Flowers, 19-09-2014, 09:56pm
            7 replies
            0 likes
            Mrs Flowers  
            Started by squidgell, 15-10-2014, 11:55pm
            7 replies
            0 likes
            squidgell  
            Started by littlerose12345, 10-10-2014, 08:40am
            4 replies
            0 likes
            Dr Spouse  
            Started by littlerose12345, 16-09-2014, 06:04am
            8 replies
            0 likes
            Peony
            by Peony

Started by jellybean, 08-09-2014, 05:26pm
            1 reply
            0 likes
            Cat Queen  

Latest Forum Activity

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
            Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:10am
            0 replies
            0 likes
            Damsella  
            Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:06am
            0 replies
            0 likes
            Damsella  
            Started by lisnic, 16-11-2014, 11:13pm
            11 replies
            0 likes
            Damsella  
            Started by Damsella, 31-05-2015, 11:55am
            1 reply
            0 likes
            Damsella  
            Started by Damsella, 21-04-2015, 01:23pm
            5 replies
            0 likes
            Damsella  

Topics: 209,926   Posts: 3,199,816   Members: 6,368   Active Members: 1
            Welcome to our newest member, firethornuk.

Latest Forum Activity

Collapse

Topics Statistics LP
            Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:10am
            0 replies
            0 likes
            Damsella  
            Started by Damsella, 15-06-2015, 09:06am
            0 replies
            0 likes
            Damsella  
            Started by lisnic, 16-11-2014, 11:13pm